Fellow activist, Adrienne Samuels, is asking for our help. Many of us suffer (and some unknowingly) from the effects of MSG (monosodium glutamate) toxicity. Below are some of neurological and physical effects of this harmful food additive, so prevalent and often hidden in most processed foods. If you do not react to MSG, more than likely you know some person or child who does. Please take a moment to comment on their behalf. Remember, you can make a positive difference for yourself and millions of others. Please read Adrienne's story. My own MSG story is on this site. Please, this issue should not be ignored or minimized any longer.
"On January 4, 2021, I submitted a Citizen Petition requesting that the FDA strip monosodium glutamate (MSG) of its GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status. On January 12, the FDA published that submission, asking for comments.
The goal in petitioning the FDA is to have the truth be told about the toxic effects of MSG, to expose this toxic food additive for what it is by shining a spotlight on a campaign of deception being systematically delivered to the American public, and to reduce the cost of health care emanating from misdiagnosis.
I don’t need to tell you that MSG is toxic. The medical literature clearly demonstrates that the L-glutamic acid in MSG is a neurotoxic – brain damaging – amino acid playing a role in human obesity and infertility as well as glutamate-related conditions such as kidney and liver abnormalities, headaches, asthma, diabetes, muscle pain, atrial fibrillation, ischemia, trauma, seizures, stroke, Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Huntington's disease, Parkinson’s disease, depression, multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), epilepsy, addiction, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), frontotemporal dementia, and autism.
For Jack, MSG first triggered anaphylactic shock and went on to cause unrelenting episodes of a-fib along with a host of other reactions. On November 15, 2011, he suffered a massive heart attack. Jack died two months later from heart damage exacerbated by complications caused by MSG and its excitotoxic manufactured free glutamic acid component (MfG) -- MfG in the electrode tabs applied to his skin, MfG in the dextrose solution used to deliver the drugs that would crystallize in a non-MfG Ringer’s solution, and MfG in the starch and cornstarch components of medications given to him when IVs were withdrawn.
I write to both share what I have done, and to ask for your help in getting toxic MSG exposed. Anything you do to flood the FDA with comments from people who have had experience with MSG and to get Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn friends to do the same would be a giant step in the right direction. Sharing information with physicians and healthcare professionals would be another. Providing information to investigative reporters, newspapers, and TV outlets not controlled by Big Food or Big Pharma would be another step in the right direction. No newspaper, TV station, or school or company newsletter is too small.
And don’t overlook contacting your elected officials. The Congress has oversight over the FDA.
1. To read and comment on the Citizen Petition go to www.Regulations.gov, and put in this docket number FDA-2021-P-0035. There you’ll see a link to the petition and a button that says “comment now.” The petition is also posted at the Truth in Labeling Campaign.
2. Statement of Grounds excerpted from the petition (facts underlying the request)
3. Press release from January, 2021
5. Reviews of industry’s MSG-safety studies demonstrating that those studies have been rigged to produce negative results (https://www.truthinlabeling.org/assets/manuscript2.pdf and https://www.truthinlabeling.org/flawed.html). These studies lay the foundation for industry’s claim that the toxicity of MSG has never been demonstrated.
6. FDA/industry liaison Their close cooperation can be traced back to September 1969, when then FDA Commissioner Ley testified before the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Health, presenting evidence from four studies that, he alleged, demonstrated MSG was safe. It was later disclosed that two of those studies were incomplete, and two didn’t even exist.
7. Suppression of information Major media have been in the pocket of the glutamate industry since 60 Minutes did a hugely popular program on MSG in 1990. It was reputed to be the most popular 60 Minutes program of the year, but Don Hewitt refused to air it again. You can catch it on YouTube if you have interest. Someone must put it up again each time it is taken down."