Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Wheat Gluten Contains MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Wheat Gluten Contains MSG « Previous Next »

Margie
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 9:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know "Wheat gluten" contained MSG!!!
Check it out:

http://www.healthyawareness.com/_Archives/_cdisc7/00000207.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheat gluten is the protein part of the wheat kernel. It naturally contains a high percentage of glutamate, which is an amino acid. Some food processors isolate it and turn it into a powder that they sell to add to bread recipes since it makes for a larger and fluffier loaf. They also use wheat gluten to make hydrolyzed protein, a meat substitute...they use soybeans for that, too. MSG is different. It's almost pure glutamic acid with sodium added to make it a salt form. I'm probably confusing you! It guess it would be easier to just say that both wheat gluten and MSG contain glutamate. I remember Jack Samuels trying to explain the difference to me once.
Margie
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 4:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right, Deb. I was having another brain fart. No you're not confusing, I appreciate your effort in helping :)
As I understand it, glutamate is a naturally occuring amino acid which gets extracted from various sources for processing (ie vegetables). During processing (especially with hydrolyzation), it binds to Na+ to form MSG... and msg is actually a sodium salt of glutamic acid. I would also think that excess free-glutamates could bind to Na+ in your body, increasing blood levels of msg... which is why we should avoid eating foods with high levels of glutamates such as peas, tomatoes, watermellon.

How'd I do, teach? ;)

ps... I did not realize wheat gluten was high in free glutamate. Thanks for the info! I suppose I need to learn more about which foods are naturally high in glutamate.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brilliant explanation! :)
Margie
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I read that dry roasted sunflower seeds especially (and other nuts) are very high in glutamic acid - yet I don't react to them. Could this be because of the lack of cooking? (as in tomatoes, peas, etc)
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep. When it's in its bound (bound to other amino acids) natural form ( nuts and grains and seeds are solid and have fiber which slow down digestion), it will take time for the body to assimilate the glutamate. The less processed a food is, the less likely it has been changed into a form more readily absorbed by the bloodstream immediately, such as in overcooked soups, overripe tomatoes. The action of high heat with liquid, chemicals, enzymes, and bacteria break down the protein.
Margie
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 1:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I kinda figured that, but wanted to ask just to be sure.
"Excitotoxins" (by Dr Blaylock) just came in the mail and I started reading it last night. Wow! Lots of in-depth info! I'm still waiting for yours to come as well :) I ordered it about a week or so ago.
Michelle B
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After years of dodging the MSG bullet becuase of crippling migraines I am happy to say I am almost completly headache and migraine free. I just added 1 food at a time. However I had notice lately a feeling of bloat when eating things that I know had no wheat gluten. Like "Sun Chips" the only chips that had no MSG or wheat gluten. They are however wheat based. I finally figured it out. After a quick trip to the doctor and a simple blood test, I have Celiac Disease. The over exposure to the gluten in MSG has caused my body to reject gluten in any form and no longer digest it. Now I have to start all over figuring out what I can and can't eat. Thanks MSG. After talking to others at work I have found out that out of 20 people at work 5 have had the same symptoms for some time. Thank you FDA for the MSG in our daily meals. Anyone else have the same wheat issues even if it was MSG safe?
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michelle, Sun Chips are not safe for us. I can't tell you the complaints we have had about them. I can't eat them. I am sure that they contain MSG. Some of the so called "salt blends" they use today, contain dextrose, maltodextrose, autolyzed yeast, corn syrup solids and other glutamate rich sources. But because it isn't pure MSG or is part of their "proprietory blend", they don't have to tell you what it is. A simple blood test is not the best way to detect Celiac disease, or so I have been told. I am not telling you that you don't have it...am just suggesting that there may be more to your reaction to the Sun Chips than meets the eye.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All flavors of Sun Chips except maybe the original unseasoned version have enough glutamate containing ingredients to give many people a bad headache or worse.

http://www.fritolay.com/images/cm/sunchips-harvestcheddar.gif
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michelle, in some countries MSG is made from wheat and even the smallest amount can be a problem for celiac sufferers. You must have tested positive for the three risk factors they can check for in blood. The best thing to do is to get the books by Bette Hagman "the Gluten-Free Gourmet. She has the most amazing recipes for wheat free baking. It really helped me when I was allergic to wheat. I think it is interesting that the most allergenic foods contain high amounts of free glutamic acid. Wheat - when processed is one of these. Perhaps the presence of a lot of free glutamic acid is what makes the immune system get overstimulated and cause the disease of celiac sprue in the first place. Just a theory. Too many MSG sensitive folks have trouble with wheat.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page