Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Breaking Up Soap

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Breaking Up Soap « Previous Next »

Jen
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I go out most soaps at the dispensers bother my hands. (Usually I get a rash.)

So, I just buy a bar of soap and break it in pieces and put it in a little baggy in my purse. That way I don't have to worry about the soaps at other places. And I don't have to store a wet bar in my purse.

I can't remember if I read this tip somewhere or not, but I thought I share it for the people who might not know it.
Jackye
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea, Jen. I bought additional bars of Dove for sensitive skin. They are currently offering hand wipes with their product. I tolerate the bars of soap much better. The more I learn about MSG, and where it is hidden, the more symptoms I seem to have...or is it normal for things that were not bothering you early on, to begin to bother you later. I will be waiting to hear from you Veteran NO MSGers. I would be lost without you all. Jackye
Jen
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 6:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackey,

Yep, it's normal. Before I could get away with more and now I can't at all.

If I lean over something cooking that contains MSG I get sick within minutes. Last year all I had to do is keeo an eye on my food and hair products. Now I have to keep an eye on my makeup, soap and etc. This year I also gave up milk products. I've tried many different brands and had no luck. Now I'm wondering about my peanut butter.

After taking everything out of my diet. (MSG, glutamate, any kind of preservatives, dyes and, etc.) Basically I only eat food in it's natural form. Now I'm more aware of how food affects my body. Before I might of just passed of a sick feeling and thought nothing of it. Now I can tell if it's linked with food or not. Maybe your just more in tune also.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So true, Jen. I did the same thing the first year...some people think it is some kind of "withdrawal", since MSG is a true drug. and I do think we are now more aware of just how MSG effects our bodies and are more focussed on that. Remember too, that MSG or glutamate is stored in the body and it does take awhile to get rid of some of those stores. After being off excitotoxins for a year or more, some of us notice that reactions are not as intense or as frequent when we do get a little. Our body recognizes glutamate as a toxin and will let us know when we get it Before, our immune system was very compromised and we were basically getting more ill...perhaps very seriously down the line with neurological disorders. I also can look back at the first year or two and see that I was still on a learning curve...still using and eating substances that I thought were safe, but were not...keep listening to your body..it won't lie.
Jackye
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 6:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. and Jen, thank you for responding. I will be so glad to get this first year behind me. For the past 2 weeks, I have eaten only those foods in its natural form. I tried the russet potato chips with no salt, and very quickly my tongue began to burn. I have learned to eat slowly, as you all recommended to give my body time to react. Tomorrow I am trying organic peanut butter. My food allergy panel was negative for peanuts and all other nuts. I guess I should be okay????? Jackye
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jackye, I am very reactive to sulfites as many of us are who are MSG reactive, so I always wash nuts first. I add them to a big bowl of cold water and swish well and drain. I do that a couple times. Then I pour them evenly on a large kitchen towel and let them dry overnight. Be sure they are dry before storing or roasting them. Most nuts are sprayed with sulfur dioxide to prevent rancidity. The potaotes may have been treated with AuxiGro before being made into chips. Some oils that the chips are fried in can contain flavor enhancers (but should be labled)or can be made from soy or corn. Some people react to soy products.
Jackye
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,Thanks for the information on washing the nuts. I will do that. The chips stated russet potatoes fried in sunflower and/or safflower oil. No salt. It must have been the oil. I am craving bread, so I have to make the time to bake it. Your recipes are life savers. Jackye
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 3:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It still could have been the potatoes if they had been treated with AuxiGro, which is 30% glutamate.
It's used extensively on potatoes and other crops, like carrots. Usually, oils are pretty safe, especially the ones you named. But then, we are never sure....just have to avoid the things we know bother us, for whatever reason.
Jackye
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 8:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to stick with Ruffles..a few at a time.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I got tested for sulfites, my allergist told me potatoes are often treated with sulfites. If you eat at a salad bar he said, they are not supposed to use sulfites, but it can still be in the potato salad, because it may already have been in the potatoes.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the FDA allows potato products (frozen french fries, canned, dried, etc.) to go unlabeled for sulfites, and for fresh cut ones to be treated in restaurants to avoid browning. Mayonnaise and dairy products can likewise go unlabeled. The argument is that the amount used is lower than that deemed unsafe by the FDA...but how can they monitor the amount used in every factory around the country?...and for a highly reactive person, minute amounts can be deadly. One of the patients of a local allergist had to air lifted out of her camp site because she reacted so severely to the sulfites in 2 dried apricots treated with sulfur dioxide. Sulfites are banned in many countries around the world.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Descriptions of pubs their atmospheressax

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page