Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Oral allergy syndrome

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Oral allergy syndrome « Previous Next »

vrtu1
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 7:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some foods make my daughter's mouth itch like carrots and apples. There's a name for this--it's called "oral allergy syndrome". Going over allergic reaction procedures with a new teacher I recalled how difficult it was to explain the "oral allergy syndrome" vs. "the tingling mouth sensations that occur as part of the first signs of an anaphylactic reaction". After the teacher meeting I called the Food Allergy network and asked if anyone had ever correlated this with spraying glutamate on crops(MSG in compounds like Auxigro have been sprayed on produce for the last few years.) The Food Allergy rep said "Oh no, it's a protein in the food that causes the mouth to itch, they've done alot of research and I can send it to you." I said just because someone paid for research and paid to have it printed and circulated doesn't make it true. (browse www.msgfacts.net./update-11-7-01.html)
While I was talking to her I got the idea to test my daughter with home grown carrots that have never been sprayed. After I hung up I remembered we had some unharvested carrouts in our garden left over from last summer, so I ran out dug them up, cleaned them, tasted them (delicious) took them to the school, had the nurse stand in for this auspicious moment in research! and gave them to her. NO itchy mouth, NO reaction. Hmmmm? Just another of those infuriating details of life in this century. Although it's horrendous that our children are putting up with these deathly allergies; crops are allowed to be sprayed with compounds that totally complicate the issue of whether to inject with the epi-pen or not. You might say that this was just one trial--yes it was--but store bought carrots make her mouth and tongue itch. (Another friend who has a peanut allergy child had the same problem with carrots, apples, etc.)
If this little test today proves exactly what I feel it does,exquisitely sensitive children are just acting as barometers for dangerous compounds that none of us should be ingesting, compounds that are really complicating life for the allergic child, schools, medical facilities and parents.
I feel glutamate is involved in these deathly allergic attacks which start and proceed at lightening speed to all body systems (Sound like neurotransmitters and the nervous system?!).
By spraying glutamate on crops and causing this oral allergy syndrome the complexity of living a life with deathly allergies has just been raised to a new level. Thanks so much --FDA, EPA, greedy legislators, bogus researchers and the food & glutamate industry cartel.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vrtu 1, I am allergic to apples, carrots, and peanuts, but my allergist had the presence of mind to also test for Pyrethrum allergy. I am much more allergic to pyrethrum than I am to anything else. I have to buy organic everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more people like me, and the other posters on this board who are more sensitive or allergic to the stuff added to the carrots - like Auxigro, than the carrots themselves.
vrtu1
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 6:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doing the best I can with an MSG deteriorated mind! I forgot to mention that my daughter is anaphylactic for peanuts and shellfish. If she gets even trace amounts of these she could die. The carrot, apple,etc., oral allergy syndrome is just another type of allergic response we are having to deal with ---not deadly in itself but because it complicates diagnosing her other anaphylatic reactions this could result in her death also.
vrtu1
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 6:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have also been posting this discussion line on the peanutallery.com discussion board,under the heading "research" then "oral allergy".

I brought in the MSG connection, which generated the typical response "Oh-- MSG is safe.It's been carefully researched." Right... Feel free to add your comments at the peanutallergy.com site.
Carol H
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 3:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vrtu1,
Just posted on the peanut allergy site. Thanks for opening the discussion :) An interesting aside. The Dr. Sampson who is interviewed by Matt Lauer on that site, is a doctor I met at a food convention in Dallas in 1992. When I stood up at the food sensitivity lecture and asked some uncomfortable questions about MSG, Dr. Sampson approached me in the back of the lecture hall afterward and gave me his card. He was very interested in MSG at that time.
vrtu1
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,

Thank you for your comments and support.

May I have the attention of anyone who has suffered health problems because of MSG and/or got no response from the Food Industry, FDA or legislators---People posting at the Peanutallergy.com website under the headings "research" then oral allergy" are posting their opinions that millions do not have MSG reactions, that scientists and research institutions have only the finest scruples, and that to have the government or soft money contributions involved could only be a conspiracy theory with no basis. The peanutallergy.com site has a very large following. Care to express your views?
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 2:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vrtu1,
Boy, that professor on peanut allergy is rough! Reminds me of Dr DW all over again. Someone get me pin! LOL Hey, at least we got others interested now.
vrtu1
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CarolH-

You said you were exposed to MSG in your work. Did you eat the test samples or was exposure from handling the additives? It certainlly did a number on you--looking at your symptoms, Wow! I sent you a personal e-mail, did it go through?
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vrtu1, I was breathing in the Nutrasweet. I was shoveling it by the pound. I was participating in taste tests at the company at the same time. They encouraged it there. The products nearly all contained MSG and HVP. I also got reduced prices on the products, which I bought at the company store and brought home. These were also loaded with MSG. Not to mention that my family always had Lipton products on hand before I worked there - noodle soup and onion soup which we used for potato chip dip and in hamburgers. That's when my doctor put me on beta blockers to keep the blood pressure down. I was only 21 years old.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 4:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - Have you any interest in my copy of Dr. Roberts' new book entitled, Aspartame Disease - An Ignored Epidemic? I'd love to give you my copy to reference for your web site -- but perhaps, you could have written this book yourself!
vrtu1
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CarolH,

I am so sorry, your exposure level was horrendous. I doubt the company has done anything to protect the employees who took your place, either. God made us extraordinary creatures. If you analyze us we are FANTASTIC beings! Then to bombard us with these neurotoxic substances (most persons without their knowledge) is a crime against humanity of such proportions that it is without precedent in all of history.
These substances totally interfere with all areas of our lives---health, relationships, work, energy levels, mental functioning, offspring, pets and the list goes on. Culminating in complete destruction of the species itself??? The elementary school classrooms have children with far more serious health problems than when we attended; teachers need a medical degree to cope with them. Then we have the fertility issues--endocrine system disruption--many 'would be' children are not even making it to a classroom.
Just how much can we mess up a society?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Per the link below, the more common triggers of anaphylaxis are:

* Foods - MEWS, fish, shell fish, legumes (peanuts), nuts

* Medicinals - Antibiotics (penicillins, cephalosporins), local anesthetics (lidocaine), analgesics (aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen], opiates), radiocontrast media

* Biologicals - Insect venom (bee sting, ant bite), blood and blood products, allergen extracts

* Preservatives and additives - Metabisulfite, monosodium glutamate

* Other - Latex, unknown/idiopathic

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic360.htm
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great find! Sure feels good whenever we find an article by a doctor actually listing MSG as an antagonist to our health, instead of a so-called safe substance, as the FDA subscribes to.
KyleF
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need help! OAS is going to kill me.

I am 25 and noticed about 5 years ago that my mouth was slightly sensitive to apples, kiwi, and certain nuts. The reactions were never really bad, they just caused a little itching in the gums and would go away after a few minutes.

This past January, I got allergy tested and the said I had OAS. The allergist suggested that I get allergy immunization shots so that I would eventually be able to eat the same fruits and vegies without a problem.

After the second alllergy shot, my throat closed and I almost died. My body shut down and fought the allergy for 3 weeks. During this time, the allergy apparently was still in my body and I needed epinepherine, steriods, benadryl....etc to keep my throat from closing up.

This past month, I was drinking pastuerized (heated) apple juice which never bothered me before and my throat closed up again. Well, my throat closed up and has continued to do so over the past week. I went to the hospital where I had to stay overnight for 5 nights and am still on a lot of medication.

My allergist says that he has never seen a body resist an allergy so seriously for such an extended period of time. He says I can't eat anything on the OAS list cooked or not or I will have a life-threatening reaction.

Please help. Any suggestions. I am willing to participate in any studies.

My email is: kylemfisdaman@yahoo.com

Let me know and please no Spam, this is serious.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not familiar with OAS...please, can you be more specific. Is it possible that you can be reacting to sulfites or salicylates? MSG? Was the apple juice organic?
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

Per the link below, OAS (oral allergy syndrome) "has symptoms of itching and sometimes swelling in the mouth and throat. Oral allergic reactions usually occur on exposure to fresh, not cooked, foods."

http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/health/foodalrg.htm
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on OAS:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/aaia/AAIAarticles/oralallergy.htm

http://www.allergysa.org/html/oas2.html
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page