Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

It's finished!!! MSG Handout to Down...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » It's finished!!! MSG Handout to Download « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's finally ready with Mike's great help. Just go to our site at www.msgmyth.com and click on "New Handout". Please download and print as many as you want for distribution. Also, if you see an error or have some suggestion, don't hesitate to let us know. Hope you find it helpful as you work to inform others, including your doctors, friends, family, church, nursing homes, health fairs, schools, etc.
Judy T
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 3:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb: First glance and it looks wonderful! Congratulations. One item only...under what it can manifest..."and the sense of being full after eating..." should that be 'hungry'?
Great work. We all know how every phrase can make a difference; maybe there are some grammar suggestions, maybe not. I suggest it'll help me a lot. Thank you.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a browser plug-in problem with getting it to open in Acrobat, but I did a "save-as" and then it opened just fine (right-click on link).

http://www.msgmyth.com/brochure.pdf

It looks really good. I'm really picky about formatting and if I were doing it, would try to make things fit better on each page (but that's one of my quirks).

One suggestion I have is to put the "full" list of names for hidden MSG, as people tend to think if they don't see it, it isn't there. Take a whole column for it, it will have more impact. I know it says there are 60 more names, but that would not cause most lazy, um... I mean busy, people to go searching for the other 60. Also, if they are carrying it around in their purse or pocket, they will have the list handy when they're grocery shopping or trying to find something safe to eat at a restaurant. There are still a lot of people who don't have a computer or don't use it to do research, so you can't rely on them visiting the sites listed.

Another thing: I tried to find where neurological disorders are listed, and found them under "emotional/behavioral disorders." I think this heading has too much of a psychological connotation. Maybe just change it to "Neurological and emotional/behavioral disorders"? I don't see panic attacks listed, but I think they are fairly common and people don't get much help from their doctors for them (if you can call prescriptions for antidepressants "help"). Also, under "Other" it could include sinus problems and menstrual problems.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re my above post: I was referring to the last page of the brochure.

On page 1, second paragraph, "brain or nervous system" should probably be "brain and nervous system." In the second paragraph, "blod stream" should be "bloodstream."

In paragraph 4, "Only after extensive processing, is the sodium salt separated from the complete protein..." - isn't it the single amino acid, "glutamic acid" or "free glutamate," that is separated from the protein? I wasn't aware that "sodium salt" was a normal part of complete proteins. How it is combined with sodium is beyond me, but more important is how the free glutamate is created and called by dozens of different names, all having similar flavor-enhancing and neurotoxic qualities as MSG.

A brief explanation of how glutamate is normally used in minute quantities by the brain and nervous system as an excitatory neurotransmitter, and how excess glutamate can overstimulate neurons to the point of exhaustion and cell death would help clear up the confusing link in the second column of page 1. (They are putting drugs in your food without your knowledge or consent, with full intent to cause you to become addicted!)

In the second-to-last paragraph on p. 1, the last sentence might be improved like so: "Thus it can be manifested in disrupted sleep patterns, food cravings and persistent hunger leading to obesity, and emotions of rage."

Or something along those lines... :)

I don't know how constructive some of these comments are, but they are what came to mind as I was reading it.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the last page under Obesity, might add "In fact, scientists feed glutamate to young laboratory animals as a reliable way of inducing obesity."

Wow, I'm just full of feedback, aren't I? ;)
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the input, Deb S. and Judy. :) It is so great to have this support. Much of what we had on the handout was based on a brochure by Wayne Erickson, with his permission. You pointed out the very things I was not too sure about, so that gave me the confidence to go ahead and tweak it even more. Hope it's better. Just posted it again. We don't want to make it any longer than 3 pages because when you hand something large to someone, chances are it will never get read. Also, it will be less costly for individuals to make multiple copies. But I did go ahead and make the additives list different, though not as lengthy as in books and on sites, which are listed as resources people can check out. Thanks again. Hope all of you will tell your friends about it and make lots of copies to distribute! Not too much that is free these days, so tell them it costs nothing to download!
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you taken a look at the changes we made in the brocure, Deb S.? We still have some more...there's a list by the computer for Mike to plug in. Deb, you mentioned you would like to see it formatted differently. If you have any free time, maybe you could e mail us some suggestions or we could let you work with it. I know how talented you are in that area...rememberd from a former e mail. :) We are open to any ideas that will make it better and easier for people to copy and read. Also, Mike is planning on adding a fore-page to explain ways to download and let people know it takes a minute to do so.
Deb S
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 5:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, I haven't had a chance yet, will probably be able to focus on it this weekend. I am a single parent and work full time so don't have much time/energy on weeknights :)
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No rush, my busy friend!
thatcher
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 6:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

Is there any way to alter this brochure to fit on one piece of paper?
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb - I finally took a look at the changes, nicely done! I would like to try working with the formatting a bit, do you think you could email a copy of it to me in a non-pdf format of some kind? debs@castleisp.com Then I can play around with it and see what happens. Thanks! :)
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, Deb...will mention it to Mike tonight.
Glad you like the changes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page