Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Group Effort

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Group Effort « Previous Next »

honnha
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 4:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am kinda new at this, but I have a suggestion that is helping my own family get through this.
I spent all the spare time I could gather in two week's time and put together an information packet. Then I invited over about 13 of my families closest friends and their families (Those who know me and know how sick I have been. Most of them are ill as well). I spent two hours going over all the information I had gathered, and discussing what I had found.
There were alot of angry, disbelieving people at first, but when it came down to the wire, they had seen such an improvement in my health that they could no longer dispute it.
Now, we are all working together. If someone makes bread or a safe snack, they make a little extra to send over to someone else. One family is putting together a list of "safe" products and MSG free recipies based on the info we all send them via email. This will be distrubted through our "group". Some families are taking turns baking natural breads, or processing all natural juices to pass around with everyone chipping in a few dollars for supplies. Some are teaching others to process, can and homebake foods without MSG. Others are making MSG free pastas and snack foods and swaping for other home-made msg free items. Still others are creating msg free spice blends, sauces and such. We are roughly going into our 2nd week of this and the relief has been emense. After trying to do this for my family by myself for 2 months, I could not believe the way this is working. Everyone is feeling better and the food is wonderful!
And it is so uplifting to be working together with others. I don't feel so alone now and I am getting some fun and rewarding time with my friends that I had always thought I was too busy for before.
This suggestion may not work for everyone, but even two or three friends working together can cut down the load, the feeling of helplessness and frustration. The people in this group come from all walks of life. We have business men and women, homemakers, store managers, shop owners, ministers, and such.
We are even discussing a "group" gardening effort this spring. Of course there are alot of jokes about "flower children" and "hippy" communes, but it is working!
DJ
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 5:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Honnha,

You have a wonderful idea! I have often thought of starting a support group in my area, and you are fortunate to find people who even believe that they are indeed being poisoned on a daily basis. Most of the people who I talk to about MSG do not believe that something so unsafe could be marketed to anyone....FDA APPROVED...Ha!
Even if they do think there is a possibility, they are not willing to change years of bad eating habits.

Good luck to you and your group.

DJ
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honnha, what you have done is wonderful and a great inspiration!
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 10:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to share your idea with the people who attend the women's conference I have been asked to speak at in March. Way to go, girl!
Deby
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please send BRANDS of foods recipes etc...to all us on the list too.
Deby
WA. State
honnha
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 3:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DJ,
I know what you mean. That's why I armed myself first with the packet of info I made before I got them all together. See, we eat together alot, dinner parties, b-b-ques, birthdays, fat girl nights and such (at least once a month). After I went MSG free, we had a dinner party at someone else's house (pot luck, as usual) and I realised the only thing I could safely eat was the bread I had brought. I felt terrible. And oddly enough, a little lonely.

So I was determined to let them know, but I knew I only had one shot to convince them. So I put together my packet along with a symptom test. I made them all take the test before we went over the packets together. That had the most profound impact. I still have copies of the packet and the test, if you are interested. I think when they realised the number of symptoms that were making their lives miserable, they couldn't deny it.

H.
+++++++++++++++

Debbie,
I will make sure and post it as soon as it is ready to go.

H.
+++++++++++++++

Hello Everyone,

Well, we are all working out the bugs of our system here. LOL And there have been a few! Like convincing everyone that they don't have to make enough to feed the entire army. They simply need to make a bit extra and then distribute it to a couple other families. One lady came up with a great idea. She found some nice material and sewed up a number of small drawstring bags and used those to distribute freezer bags of homemade beef and barley soup. She dropped them off and another lady thought it would be a good idea to return them to her with stuff inside. The idea worked so well, others have made their own bags in different materials and started working that way. So no one's contribution gets forgotten.

The hard things have been replacing some of the "family" favorites such as pizza, macaroni and cheese and cooking sauses, stocks and such. However, we think we might have that problem solved.

Has anyone else found a wonderful cookbook called "The New Basics" by Russo and Lukins? Not one single recipie calls for "can of anything". From what we can tell, it's all basic stuff, no blends, or anything like that. It's a really wonderful book. Especially when combined with another book called "Stocking Up". This book teaches how to freeze, dry, and perserve just about anything.

Also, a few of the people here have found Ebay to be a great source of old fashioned cook books that teach the basic sauses, stocks and such also.

Well, I guess that is all for now.

Thanks for listening,
h.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 4:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

The company I work for, Southwestern Bell Communications (SBC) has about 186,000 employees. Current economics is requiring a reduction of that number by about 11,000. During the last few months, employees have been asked to suggest cost saving measures that the company might embrace and implement in order to stem the loss of employees whose experience will be sorely needed when these economic times improve.

One of the cost savings avenue suggestions I would like to make is the potential health care savings that might be accomplished by Excitotoxin abstinence. I know I could write up a convincing diatribe relating my personal experiences with Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure recovery, but I would like to include documentation and/or testimonials of other sufferers who have been helped by Excitotoxin avoidance. If these additional references could be written in the vain of convincing a large company such as SBC to consider counseling its employees on the potential danger of Excitotoxins and the various symptoms that avoidance might correct, we could then make such information available to other large corporations.

If we provide the material information that these companies could distribute and include all the website links in support of our stance, I think these large companies might just help us get the word out. I would caution that the material must be written such that we don’t go beyond suggestion of avoidance and supplementation, lest we incur the wrath of the medical profession and the food industry.

Comments or suggestions please. :)
Fran
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom

I would like to help you here. How many words are you looking for. I can give a testimonial about my health problems and how they went with elimination of excitotoxins. I have now stopped all pills and no more need for consultations and must be saving the NHS a small fortune.

Let me know.

Fran
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I'll ask my son-in-law if he would write a few words about his experience with racing heart when he eats MSG. Good luck with a very worthwhile endeavor.
Judy T
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 6:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, Writing is not my forte but I will help if I can.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear NOMSGers,

Recived this letter today from my Congressman Phillip Crane.

Dear Mr. Fernstrom:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S.2499, the Food Allergen Consumer Protection Act. You might also be interested to know that Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) has introduced companion legislation, H.R. 4704, in the House of Representatives.

H.R. 4704 will amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to require food labels to identify known food allergens contained therein or be deemed misbranded, without regard as to whether or not the presence of an allergen is intentional or unintentional. The bill creates criteria for labels, requiring a format comparable to that required for the disclosure of nutrition information. Also contained a toll-free telephone number "help" from certain manufacturers, packers, or distributors will be on the label. In addition to the label, S. 2499 will require the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to issue rules which address the use of good manufacturing practices to minimize the unintentional presence of allergens in food and advisory labeling if such allergens may be unintentionally present. The Secretary must also publish, on an annual basis, national data on the prevalence of food allergies and the incidence of deaths and injuries. In order to ensure that the act is followed by businesses, the bill establishes civil penalties for violations of the Act.

H.R. 4707 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce's Subcommittee on Health for further review. You may rest assured that the views you expressed will be kept in mind should either bill, or any related legislation, be presented for debate and a vote in the full House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

Philip M. Crane, M. C.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear MSGers,

As you can see by the above, it has been some time since I attempted to contact our representatives about the problems we have with these Excitotoxins. I have supported the "Move On" organization for a few years now and they recently gave the use of their network to create petitions. I have submitted the following petition and hope the majority of you will follow the link and sign the petition.

Thanks.

Tom

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Subject: Eliminate Excitotoxins from Food Supply

Hi,

Excitotoxins such as Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and Aspartame are added to almost all processed foods. Many times the food labels hide included MSG by referring to it as Hydrolyzed protein or vegetable matter. There is no reason to add these excitotoxins other than to trick consumers into eating more of the food due to the cravings these excitotoxins create.

That's why I created a petition to The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama.

Call on the FDA and all health insurance companies to address the use of excitotoxins by the food industry. Challenge the food industry to prove that the addition of these ingredients cause no harm and (in the quantities people are consuming them in their current diets) are not linked to Obesity, Autism, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Fibromyalgia, Atrial Fibrillation among many other disease states.

Will you sign this petition? Click here:

http://signon.org/sign/eliminate-excitotoxins?source=c.em.cp&r_by=1684904

Thanks!

Tom Fernstrom
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 2:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Tom. I signed it and urge everyone else to do so.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 3:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just signed from Ireland. Often petitions will only allow signatures from within the country they are petitioning. So to any non "msgers" who use this site, you can sign this petition no matter were in the world you are.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Signed.
Dutchbabiesx2
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 7:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked up H.R 4707 and it is called "To extend the temporary suspension of duty on Chloroacetone."

I did not see anywhere that it had to do with food safety.

I was wanting to write to my own congressperson regarding this. Can you supply us with better information?

Also, I signed the petition, forwarded via FB and twitter.- Thanks!
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dutchbabiesx2,

I don't know if they can re-issue House bill numbers if the original failed or expired in the 2002 session. Perhaps that is what happened. I have no more info about that original Bill or its history.

Tom
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 4:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

I've updated my petition with the following note to explain my use of the word "Excitotoxins":

Note: Excitotoxin : A substance added to foods and beverages that literally stimulates neurons to death, causing brain damage of varying degrees. (Excitotoxins - The Taste that Kills, by Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.)
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 5:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

Here is another food related petition that is being circulated. It has already gotten over 64,000 signatures. Guess mine needs some more exposure. :-(

Below is an email from Robert Shepherd, a MoveOn member who created a petition on SignOn.org, the nonprofit site that allows anyone to start their own online petition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear MoveOn member,

A so-called "Monsanto rider," quietly slipped into the multi-billion dollar FY 2013 Agricultural Appropriations bill, would require—not just allow, but require—the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for the planting or cultivation of a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed.

That's why I created a petition on SignOn.org to the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senate, and President Barack Obama, which says:

Stop the Monsanto rider. Unless the Senate or a citizen's army of farmers and consumers can stop them, the House of Representatives is likely to ram this dangerous rider through any day now.

Click here to add your name to this petition, and then pass it along to your friends.

http://signon.org/sign/stop-the-monsanto-rider?source=mo&id=46338-2895633-uYzv3Wx

Thanks!

–Robert Shepherd

This petition was created on SignOn.org, the progressive, nonprofit petition site. SignOn.org is sponsored by MoveOn Civic Action, which is not responsible for the contents of this or other petitions posted on the site. Robert Shepherd didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NoMSGers,

So far my petition has 162 signatures. If you haven't signed in yet, the petition can be found at:

http://signon.org/sign/eliminate-excitotoxins

Tracking of the signatories and their comments can also be seen at this sight.

Thanks,

Tom :-)
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 6:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NoMSGers,

Some interesting information I just found out about the SignOn.org petition circulation. As the petition garners more signatures, it gets distributed to a wider audience of people who have signed up to receive communications from the MoveOn.org political organization. That organization currently has approximately 6 million people who have signed up to receive e-mails.

So by signing my petition, we will get access to an increasingly larger audience. I witnessed this happen already. When the number of signatures reached 50, an embedded SignOn.org program e-mailed the petition to a preset number of members. In two days the number of signatures increased to the current 176 signatures (it was 162 this morning as you can see from the above posting). The next goal number appears to be 200 signatures. I assume that when that number is reached, the petition will be sent out to another batch of MoveOn.org members and so on and so on.

This evening I participated in a conference call sponsored by SignOn.org and they instructed us in the various ways to present the petition to the audience we hope to convince. Since Michele Obama appears to have taken a very active interest in childhood obesity, it is my hope to eventually have an impressive enough number of signatures to have her consider the beneficial ramifications of getting the healthcare industry to go after the food industry.

What I think would really make a difference in getting signatures would be some personal experiences with MSG abstinence and the health improvements that have been seen. The sign in process allows for personal notes to be added. These personal notes in turn can be viewed by the MoveOn.org members that receive the petitions as the goals are met and can really get us some “sit-up-and-take-notice” reactions.

Tom :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page