Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

If you can tolerate cocoa but not dai...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » If you can tolerate cocoa but not dairy here's a recipe! « Previous Next »

Javonda Hawsey
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wasn't sure if I was allergic to cocoa or the milk solids in chocolate so I tried my chocolate fudge recipe and substituted(and don't have a heart attack here) frozen orange juice concentrate for the milk. It was delicious! Have you ever eaten one of those gourmet chocolate orange balls that you hit hard on the counter and it breaks into sections like an orange? Well, it tastes just like that.
Well, I found out it is the cocoa I can't tolerate so it made me sick but some of you may be able to eat it.
So here's the recipe:

2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa
mix well and add
1/2 Cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1 stick of unsalted butter(add a dash of canning
salt if you use this)
bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes-
take off heat and set boiler in cold water and beat until it starts to thicken and then pour into greased pan or dish and cut into pieces.
Sometimes it comes out gooey intead if hard but it is good anyway.
I know this isn't a "healthy" recipe but every great once in a while won't kill you if you can tolerate the ingredients!
Wish I could!!!
Javonda
JJ
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been using carob powder that I buy at the health food co-op for several years now. It has
0 grams of fat and is sweeter than cocoa so requires less sugar. I drink it hot in milk or water and add no sugar. We blend it with skim milk and a banana and my husband who can eat anything thinks its delicious. You could substitute it for the cocoa in the fudge since you have found you can't tolerate cocoa. Many of us can't.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page