Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Vitamins and such

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Vitamins and such « Previous Next »

Deby
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that there is NOT supposed to be much need for vitamins on this eating regime....BUT from past posts I see that some of you take *this or That*...could you compile some lists here for newbies on what is not laced with bad stuff, and the brands you take...I know each person's list might be different. WE will all glean from this information.
Deby
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 3:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deby,

The supplier linked below offers some supplements in powdered form, allowing you to avoid gelcaps and fillers.

http://www.beyond-a-century.com/
Deby
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 7:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what do most of you take....and your source ie: store, web site?
Deby
Who is really hurting from this detoxing? Tell me at what point will I feel better? Have I done to much going off...aspertame/MSG, caffeine,sugar, all at the same time ??....
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deby,

Have patience. We all sympathize with your dilemma and in one way or another have been there ourselves. Abstinence from these damaging excitotoxins will eventually help you feel better, but you must give it time. Be ever vigilant to abstain and write down how bad you used to feel -- all the symptoms, anguish & pain. Because over the next few weeks as these excitotoxic residuals are rid from your system and if you are successful in keeping more from entering your system, you will begin to feel gradually better and better.

When was the last time you had a great night's sleep? When was the last time you woke in the morning feeling "Great" and ready to challenge the world?

When you get to that point, you will feel so betrayed by the food industry for having taken so much of your life from you that you will be depressed and angry like most of us have. But remember, you have been helped -- it will then be your mission (like ours) to help others until the groundswell of evidence against these excitotoxins and their use gets them banned.

Hang in there. And don't cheat -- even for one minute or you'll be cheating yourself.
Deby
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stevia website I found, would love any impurt or critiques:
https://www.herbaladvantage.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=stevia.htm&cart_id=8961099.83839
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do fine with Wisdom of the Ancients brand of powdered or liquid stevia...but do avoid some brands that contain fillers.

Great advice, Tom. We have all been where you are now. There is a period where many feel a withdrawal period to these potent drugs/toxins. Just giving up caffeine is going to cause some pain. But do trust your body when you know what a true MSG reaction is for you, and know that somehow you have gotten it by mistake. But don't get too hard on yourself when that happens...it's part of the learning process.
Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 5:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone found a CoQ10 supplement with no fillers, binders or colors. In my searching the archives I couldn't find one. Maybe I missed it.
Or maybe there isn't one. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
DJ
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

I purchased my CoQ10 from Whole Foods.

It lists Rice Powder, gelatin (I discard the capsule.)

I was concerned about the color yellow, but was told that CoQ10 is naturally yellow. Hope this helps.

DJ
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Beyond-a-Century has powdered CoQ10 described below on their website at:

https://www2.acadia.net/cgi-bin/BAC/web_store.cgi

CO-ENZYME Q-10 A natural substance that plays an essential role in releasing energy from the mitochondria to the rest of the cell. It is a potent antioxidant and immune system stimulant which declines with age. By age 40 you have 40% less CoQ10 than at age 20. Plays a vital role in heart function and gum health. For those taking 100mg or more we offer pure CoQ10 powder, powder with tocotrienols & bioperine, and 100mg softgels in soy bean oil. Our liquid CoQsol gelcaps with vit E and rice bran oil have been shown to increase absorption over 3 times more than powder taken without fat. Always take powder or dry caps with oil or fatty food for proper absorption. 120 caps, 30mg, $21.50. Code 203.3
Suzanne
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Washington state and my husband enjoys fishing for steelhead. Does anyone know if this type of fish provides Omega-3 vitamins like some other fish? I have a supply of that and would like to know if that will provide it for me instead of having to take Flax seed oil.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzanne, I don't know about the fish you are talking about. I buy the ground flaxseed at the health food store and add it to EVERYTHING. It actually tastes good plain. I even sprinkle it on my organic peanut butter, add it to pancakes, salads,cereals, meatloaf, cakes, breads, and mix it in a diet drink I make in the blender....fresh frozen fruits, 1 to 2 T. of the flax, 1/2 cup of cooked beans, rice milk, and fresh chopped ginger....stevia and/or honey to sweeten. Sometimes I add a little banana or fresh squeezed orange juice. Sounds awful, but it's good, actually. Even oatmeal can be added. I add that first to the liquid and let it soak a few minutes first and then add the rest of the ingredients....just add a tablespoon, if you like.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzanne,

This site mentions various fish and their Omega-3 fat content. I would assume the steelhead is the same as the salmon?

http://www.omega-3info.com/

Also came across this site that might be interesting to both you and Deb A. with your discussion of flaxseed.

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/flaxpd4.htm

:)
Suzanne
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

My mom told me that the flax seed needs to be used right after grinding for the full effect of the vitamins. I don't have a small grinder for that, so I didn't buy the flaxseed, but bought the oil (gag). I try to hide it in salad dressing. So, I wonder if you are really getting all the vitamins from it if you are buying it already ground?
Suzanne
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Thanks, both of the sites were interesting. I guess that my answer is that yes, it does have the Omega 3 since it said that trout has 1.6 whatever it was....Steelhead is trout, big trout that have lived in the ocean and come back into the rivers here, I guess. I'm glad to find that out since my husband loves to fish, I enjoy it the fish and it is better than the flax seed oil I've been using that is so expensive.
Pat Shoffner
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 5:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzanne - sorry to be late with a comment. We used to live in Washington / did a great deal of steelhead fishing. Wonderful fish. My husband was a science teacher for twenty-five years and says that steelhead is a very good source of Omega 3. . . . . . . Tell your husband to keep fishing and enjoy himself !
Suzanne
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 9:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He'll love that message!
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzanne - (1) "Addition of a fatty acid supplement to a conventional antidepressant regimen significantly improves mood, according to a clinical trial published in the American Journal of Psychiatry." (Am. J. Psychiatry 2002 159: 477-479) (2) To grind flax seed, try an electric coffee grinder -- you can pick them up for around $10. I always do a sniff test to make certain it hasn't gone bad. I grind a supply for the week and keep it in jar in refrigerator. I keep the flax seed in my freezer.
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS Dr. Mercola says: "So the flax should be used sparingly and probably alternated with other ground grains, like sunflower, sesame and pumpkin, which will help to balance the omega six and omega three ratios." See: http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/21/flaxseed.htm#comment. It may be worth doing a search at this site for: "depression" and "Omega".
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corrected link:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/21/flaxseed.htmcomment
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I refrigerate my ground flaxseed, but may try freezing it, instead. I do also use the whole seed in bread, granola, muesli, and love sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and sesame seed oil. Love the oil you gave me, Carol :)...just a little of the sesame in a stir fry adds a ton of flavor. One good way to eat these seeds, is to make a muesli of oatmeal, (not Quakers, but the bulk at Winco, Suzanne, is okay) all the seeds high in omega, home dried fruits, and any other grain flakes that you like. I add sunflower, flax and sesame seeds and keep a large container in the fridge. I don't cook it to eat it...just add some rice milk or organic whole milk and sugar or stevia....we all love it. Let it soak for a couple minutes if you don't like it "chewy".
Howard M
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 2:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the interest of imitating Tom's regimen, I have begun: CoQ10 - 300mg, and taurine, Magnesium Orotate, and B6 (in a strange gelcap from SISU...Canadian and the best so far that I've come up with....the gelcap goes poof). Then the dilemma....Can't seem to get Geritol Complete in Canada. Everywhere I turned, it was "Sorry" or "What?" Erk. Back to reading labels....

Saw a lot of lecithin, citric acid, some colour dyes, and some maltodextrin and various hydrolyzed goodies......and then.....I found Wampole's Complete Multi-Adult (50+). Here is the list of non-medicinal ingredients:

Cellulose Complex, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium croscarmellose, vegetable stearin. Contains no colourants, flavours, preservatives, starches, gluten, lactose or soy. There you go.

Also this stuff has a bit of Chromium, Silicon, Vanadium, Selenium, Molybdenum, Manganese, phosphorous et al as part of the Mineral "package".

Any thoughts? This is definitely the 'cleanest' of the lot in a rather large drugstore.

Howard
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard M: I don't know about the cellulose complex etc at all, but I am finding that chromium and selenium are really important to me on occasion. In fact, my legs became numb and a dose of B-complex, chromium, selenium, taurine; and I always take 300 mg CoQ10 daily plus one daily benadryl and one ibuprofen...I don't know if I need the benadryl or ibuprofen but I feel good and get honestly scared to change my patterns!). Anyway, the numbness went away in one day after being numb for 5 scary days; now I wish I knew which of that cocktail was the one that helped. Ah, feeling good feels so good.
Le
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard M. On this site click on Keyword. Type in Microcrystalline cellulose. Under Medicine, Roy has provided a site that describes an acid hydrolysis process. I was taking levoxyl with this in it and I had dry mouth, blurred vision and my thoughts were jumbled. Since stopping the problems have gone. I hope this helps.
Howard M
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Judy and Le.

Is it possible (Tom et al) that me taking 100mg /day instead of 25 mg/day (re-read Tom's posts, and he says 25mg.) is the problem because with both B6 attempts, after three days or so...boom heavy reaction. (Both had crystalline cellulose/magnesium stearate but perhaps it was the dose?)

Howard
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 6:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Le, what brand of thyroid medication do you use now? Howard, too much of a supplement can cause problems. It is also possible that you are getting enough of the B6 from your food. You might just try starting with one supplement at a time and seeing how you do with that one before you add the next one. May I suggest starting with the CoQ10. I take about 200 mg. a day..powdered form with no additives from Beyond-a Century.com and that is all I take. I only take the taurine after I have eaten something I am not too sure about and after eating out...1/4 t. I feel the CoQ10 has been beneficial so far.
Le
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., I am not taking anything now. I cut msg out of my diet and was still not feeling good. Thought it may be the levoxyl (fillers and binders) so I stopped taking it. I had my thyroid checked and it is normal. My thought is that the msg was throwing my thyroid off. Without msg my levels are normal. I feel better than I have in years. I have lost 30 pounds and have energy again. Thanks to you, your book and this site....I have my life back.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so thrilled to hear that, Le! :)
Howard M
Posted on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb. Good advice. Will let you know.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Le, I am just curious. When did your doctor diagnose you as hypothyroid? And how long were you taking medication for it?
Le
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 5:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. I was diagnosed and started meds in January of 2000. I took levoxyl till May of 2002. Over that time it was adjusted up or down depending on my tests. I was taking a low dose. Maybe that is why my levels are normal without msg. I would love to know what you think.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 9:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am convinced that MSG effects the thyroid, which is controlled by the hypothalamus, the region of the brain most effected by MSG in lab animals. In the last couple years my dosage has been decreased more and more, whereas my sis and mom, who have the same condition, have had their dosages steadily increased. They don't avoid MSG, and that is the only difference I can see. My doctor just decreased my dosage again this week, and if this keeps up, I may be able to stop using it some day...that would be amazing.
Le
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 4:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A. That is amazing and I am so excited for you. That will be a day to celebrate. It kills me to think of all the people out there with health problems because of MSG. Many in my family alone. One of my sisters has made the connection. She got your book and has begun her journey to a healthier and happier life. Thanks again.
Deb S
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A -- Just a side note, my mom was on thyroid meds for many years, and she hasn't changed her eating significantly--if anything, she consumes more highly processed products in the form of supplements in the quest for everlasting "youth"--and in her 50s she started having problems, which were solved when her doctor lowered and then took her OFF of thyroid meds. She is on HRT which may have some effect (still has a uterus). It's a mystery, but I think that there is still a whole lot that is not known or understood about the thyroid, and the complicated interplay of all the hormones and chemicals in our bodies.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Le. I am very happy to hear about your sister. Isn't it wonderful when our family actually listens to us!
Deb S, thanks for that note of interest. It gives me some hope. If I decide to go off the thyroid meds, I will do it very carefully and slowly, watching for any side effects. I should let me doctor know of my intent, too. Thanks again.
safegirl
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new to all this... learned about your site via fibromyalgia patients... is it even possible to find vitamins and minerals without gel caps?
PhyllisCh
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Safegirl,
I think I spoke with you about this website last night on the Fibro web. If so, I am glad you found your way here. I hope it helps you. I have learned a lot from all of these helpful, knowledgable people.
Phyllis
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 3:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2015 update: What do you take now?

What vitamins do you take daily or regularly now?

In what amounts?

What differences have you noticed by taking them?

There is so much information on what to take and some of it has evolved. It's very confusing and overwhelming to newbies.
"Old-timers", please consider sharing what works for you these days.
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.227.12.236
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lee,

When I joined this forum I was spending a decent amount of money (maybe $2 a day? maybe more?) on supplements. The lovely members of MSG Myth were able to finally convince me (after a few weeks of explaining) that vitamins and supplements are not food and that we don't need them. It revolutionized my thinking. Now the only thing I take is magnesium malate. I take it because it's one of the few supplements that Deb approves of. Thank you, everyone, for all your years of help and insight!!!

<3
AdaLovelace
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ada,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. It's a a huge boost to hear from others who have been doing this a long time.

I come from the other side of the fence with vitamins and supplements. I don't take anything and am wary of all vitamins and medicines.
I absolutely agree with you that it's much better to get nutrients from food. I just finished reading "Excitotoxins" by Russell Blaylock, M.D., so I'm pondering that avoiding MSG isn't enough and I should start taking the vitamins he suggests.

How much magnesium malate do you take? Do you notice anything differences by taking it? Have you experienced any side effects?

Thanks!
Lee
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 9:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I adore Dr. Blaylock and that book. For me, it's the book that started it all!

Dr. Blaylock has managed to (mostly) shake his allopathic indoctrination. Only... he now prescribes supplements and vitamins in the way that an MD prescribes pharmaceuticals. I can't help but wonder if there is still some residue of that western training in his current tone (only he's swapped the form of "medicine"). Let's be honest - if we took everything that he suggests (and I subscribe to his monthly newsletter, so I know it's a LOT) - we would be guzzling pills morning, noon, and night!

So as much as I love Dr. Blaylock, I largely ignore a lot of what he has to say. I also think his diet advice is a bit unbalanced... he keeps telling unsuspecting Americans to cut back on foods naturally high in glutamate such as tomatoes and mushrooms. That's the BOUND glutamate that does not have an excitotoxic affect. Short of having some serious neurological problem, I just don't see the logic in that. He also wants us to abstain from potatoes and rice because they're too starchy. And he warns about the high nitrite content of spinach, beet juice, bok choy, collard greens, and broccoli. If we avoided all of the foods he finds suspect, there would literally be nothing left.

I highly respect this man. I'm most interested in what he has to say in the way of the neurological impacts of free glutamtic acid (MSG). I ignore a lot of his supplement and diet advice.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ada and Lee, I also thought highly of Dr. Blaylock's book, "Excitotoxins..." but it's been a long time since I read it. I didn't remember that he was pushing a lot of supplements. I have vacillated over the years about taking them but over the last 2 years have decided to take the ones I think are beneficial to me - and not listen to any one authority. Because I was diagnosed with osteoporosis I decided my diet and lifestyle wasn't enough to halt it so I added supplements and have reversed it back to osteopenia. I think if you are going to take supplements you should choose wisely. Lee, one of the things I take is magnesium taurate: 125mg twice daily.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Di!

I use magmesium malate from Source Naturals. It's in tablet form, which may not be suitable for some here (since there are binders to keep the pills together).

This is the product: http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Magnesium-Malate-Tablets/dp/B000GFJJKQ

I take it once or twice a day.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - magnesium*. Sometimes I wish we had the capability to edit posts on this message board! :P
Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ada and Di,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I am still learning the particulars, so it's a huge help.
I didn't know Dr. Blaylock had a newsletter, but I'm with you Ada, that diet advice is not anything I'm interested in right now, I've got to eat something.

Magnesium and possibly Vitamin D are what I'm considering, so thanks for the link and details. But I'm going to be careful, as you suggest Di, and do more research before I take anything. Lots to consider.

Thanks again for the help. I am really appreciative of the board and all the shared information. I search this board almost daily. :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this linked article Dr Mercola suggests that Vitamin C and lycopene may help: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/03/15/war-on-salt.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170315Z1_UCM&et_cid=DM136350&et_rid=1926576663

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page