Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG in restaurants

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » MSG in restaurants « Previous Next »

TXguy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 4:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What restaurants to avoid:
ALL, repeat, ALL national chain restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, Luby's, etc. Most of what they serve is ladden with MSG and you can't avoid it no matter how hard you try. Don't bother to ask if they have MSG. They either don't know or they will lie about it. I asked at every place I went and learned that the hard way.

Where to eat:
Independently owned restaurants that have home-cooked meals (but still be selective on the menu). Contrary to what most say, many chinese restaurants are MSG-free these days because of the public pressure. Most sandwich shops (but NOT Quiznos). Very high-end restaurants. Home.

The best thing I did was to quit eating out and got on a natural food diet. [Be careful with natural foods... they lie too. Educate yourself.] I now have zero gut problems and no more Nexium or antacids.

MSG is poison.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 5:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TXguy, Some Chinese restaurants may be MSG-free but not FGA-free. They may be able to legitimately say they have no MSG, but FGA is in just about everything else they add.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can eat at a Chinese restaurant if they'll steam my food plain and bring me safe additions such as ginger and scallions on the side. They may advertise "no MSG" on the menu, but are usually clueless when it comes to FGA content of soy sauce, fish sauce, hoisin sauce and so on.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 3:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had better luck with Thai restaurants...but I am very careful, always.
mrbill0626
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone here heard or seen that Chipotle's Mexican Restaurants are safe to eat at, with no MSGs or it's derivatives or FGAs in the food? Seems like I have read they are safe, but I want to hear from someone here.

Thanks

Bill
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 1:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 rules about restaurants.

1. All restaurant are guilty until proved innocent.

2. Any evidence that they are innocent is out of order.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 3:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Chipotle is safe! Read their ingredients:
https://chipotle.com/ingredient-statement

I actually eat there quite a lot.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 3:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only source of MSG that I can see could be the sour cream. It contains nonfat dry milk solids.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 1:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/01/health/chipotle-closings-e-coli-scare/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page