Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Ideas for taking medications without ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Ideas for taking medications without gelcaps (orange juice!) « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 7:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For years when I needed to take a medication that was in a gelcap, I would consult with the pharmacist, then take the medication out of the gelcap and mix it with a teaspoon of applesauce and swallow. This seemed to be the best option to quickly and easily take the medication without tasting much of the drug.

I'm currently taking a a large dosage of a medication 3 times a day that tastes horrendous. It makes any other medication seem like candy. The applesauce amplified the flavor and wasn't a great option.

I found orange juice was a perfect way to dissolve and swallow the medication. The strong tart flavor of orange juice (aprox. 1-2 TBSP) masks the medication just enough to drink it, followed very quickly by more orange juice (not spiked with the medication).

I've been using this method for 2 weeks now and it has been a life saver. Just wanted to share in case it can help anyone else out there.

I only take medications when absolutely necessary but I'm glad I've found an option that works in this case.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip Emily. I will be having surgery soon and like so many people here have a reaction to Codeine drugs and sulpha drugs. I can't use Vicodeine because it is codeine based I have read. Do any of you have any suggestions that I can talk to my Doctor about in preparation. Have any of you used pain killers or helpers safely? Mariann Thanks
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 6:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mariann,
I react to Codeine too. As far as questions for the surgery, is it in patient or out patient? If you are staying overnight or are required to drink any juice after the surgery, I would talk to the staff ahead of time to see if you can have a mini fridge moved into your room (most hospitals will do this for an allergy). Also bring your own juice if something like this is needed afterwards. You can meet with the dietitian at the hospital and prepare a meal plan with just fresh fruits and fresh vegetables with nothing on them for your stay.

I'd also ask the staff what medications you will be asked to take. If any are over the counter, see if you can provide your own so you can read the labels and bring the safest option.

As far as standard prescription pain medication I don't have any advice or experience with options. I react poorly to pain meds (not an msg reaction but I get a lot of random odd side effects from a lot of prescriptions). My stomach can't handle most pain medications, even the wimpy ones (my MSG reaction is in my stomach lining so it's pretty sensitive).

I do respond really well to Aleve and Excedrin Tension headache. No msg reaction, no stomach pain and 2 Aleve can knock out a pretty bad headache for me.

As far as surgeries, I've responded very well to IV sedations used in my surgeries (I've needed to be awake to give feedback to my doctor but loopy enough to not freak out and to not remember it afterwards).

Good luck with your surgery- you'll do great! Prepare a few meals ahead of time to have in the freezer so you won't have to worry about dinner for a few days.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page