Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Produce section of the grocery store

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Produce section of the grocery store « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 2:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an old post from the avoiding corn forum, but I thought it might be of interest to us now since so many are having trouble finding safe produce. This was a list from the produce section of a grocery store detailing what fruits and vegetables were waxed. The wax in question is made from genetically modified corn (GMOs are not food and are the same thing all the fga food additives are made from, too, by the way)

FOOD-GRADE Vegetable WAX

Batata

cucumbers

eggplant

grapefruit

lemons

limes

melons

name'

oranges

parsnips

passion fruit

peppers

pineapples

rutabagas

squash

sweet potatoes

tangerines

tomatoes

turnips

yautia

yucca

LAC_RESIN Coating

Apples

This is not counting the ones that are also gassed with ethylene (another GM corn derivative):

potatoes (to prevent sprouting)
tomatoes (to make them red so they appear ripe)
bananas (I don't even know why they are gassed)

I have talked to my local Kroger produce manager and he is trying to find out for me if the organic veggies and fruits can be coated with GM wax or gassed with GM ethylene. This shouldn't be allowed under the criteria for certified organic, but it wouldn't be the first time the rules were bent in favor of food manufacturers.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ethylene use in the Ripening of Organic Bananas
Background

I just found this ... "Ethylene is a permitted material under Council Regulation (EEC) No. 2092/91 for use in 'degreening bananas'. The Soil Association permits the use of ethylene as a trigger in the ripening process for organic bananas being imported into Europe."

But I don't know about the USA or other organic produce. I'll keep looking.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page