Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Stupid me: Watching Food, Inc. just d...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Stupid me: Watching Food, Inc. just days before Thanksgiving « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made it up to the point where the farmer puts his hand inside the cows stomach via it's access port, and I had to stop.

Not sure why I rented it in the first place; I guess I'm a sucker for anything in bluray.

Mike
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG connection here?
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Though I didn't write about it in my post, the gist of the film is that a hand full of companies control food production, and cheap subsidized corn has a huge influence in what we eat, and ends up is so many products.

I mentioned the film because those who are very concerned and interested in what goes into their bodies would be alarmed to see the state of the food industry today.

Sorry if was a bit too off-topic,

Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean the movie "King Corn?" I remember that movie where the farmer checks the cow's stomach through an opening on the side- so gross.

Since our food lifestyle has changed so much over the years, I'm always drawn to books and movie about food and the food industry.

I recently listed to the book on tape "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetable-Miracle-Year-Food/dp/0060852569/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259203585&sr=8-1
and just loved it. It was a great book to listen to on my MP3 player.

It's about a family that chooses to eat all locally grown food for one year. I can see how it could rub some people the wrong way but overall I felt very connected to the book as most of us here would. They understand the importance of eating foods in the way nature intended them too and she talks about the mysteries of learning how to garden and make their own cheese.

Very inspiring book for anyone wanting to eat more locally grown, in season food. I think anyone here would really enjoy it but especially those with a garden, whether big or small.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, definitely Food, Inc.

I hope that cow is in the actor's union - he really gets around!

Mike

PS: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page