Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What’s for Dinner? (Share your weekly...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » What’s for Dinner? (Share your weekly menu) « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone interested in contributing to a “What’s for Dinner” thread? This can be an ongoing thread where we post what’s for dinner for the week, new recipes or new ideas. This can be a source of inspiration to see what others are cooking so we can get new ideas of things to make. Feel free to jump in a post whenever you are able to share. We would all love to hear what you are cooking/eating.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For meals this week, we are eating mostly from our freezer due to me being on crutches.

Sunday and Monday: Burritos with Tortillaland premade tortillas (doing a second test to see if I have a reaction), refried beans from the freezer, taco seasoned beef from the freezer with fresh tomatoes and peppers from the garden and fresh salsa. Side dish of freezer corn.

Tuesday and Wednesday: Crockpot shredded spicy chicken with chicken breasts, chicken broth, taco seasonings, roasted chili peppers (from the freezer) and topped with fresh tomatoes at the end. Spanish rice made with the extra juices from the crockpot. Served with Tortillaland premade tortillas.

Thursday and Friday: Shredded roast beef from the freezer (from a previous pot roast), gravy made with broth from the freezer from a previous pot roast, with roasted potatoes and carrots.

Today we restocked the freezer with low fat, low sugar muffins (using some Stevia and some cane sugar), waffles (using Stevia) and Pumpkin Bread (using some Stevia and some can sugar).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yum....I'm getting very hungry! Will have to make some baked goods at my daughter's house for our freezer. Emily...this is such a great idea. I'll have Mike add this as a new topic...what to call it...sharing successful menus.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb. Once Mike adds the new topic, I'll re-post my two posts under the new topic.

I'll look forward to seeing your creative ideas for cooking without a kitchen.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For meals this week, we are eating pretty simple and mostly from our freezer due to me being on crutches.

Sunday and Monday: Grilled tuna fish sandwiches with a homemade tomato soup (lightly cooked). Using bread and soup from the freezer.

Tuesday and Wednesday: Enchilada’s (Deb A’s daughter’s recipe) with shredded poached chicken, rice, refried beans and a red sauce. Making a double meal to freeze half of it for later use. Using refried beans and tortillas from the freezer.

Thursday and Friday: Baked potatoes in the microwave with a cream sauce. Roasted cauliflower. Using cream sauce from the freezer.

Made pumpkin chocolate chip waffles and pita bread to store in the freezer. Pita bread can be used for French dip sandwiches, tuna fish sandwiches and chicken salad sandwiches.

(Received a reaction from the Tortillaland tortilla’s I tried last week. I was fine the first week, but started to react the second week. I assume the flour they use has malted barely and they have mislabeled the package.)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily, can we have your recipe for pita bread. I can't find a store bought one that is safe. Pumpkin chocolate chip waffles...yum. My grandkids would love those.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the recipe I really like for Pita Bread. They are pretty easy to make and freeze great:

http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2009/05/hummus-and-pita-bread.html

Pita Bread
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/

1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp. white sugar
1 TBSP canola oil
1 tsp. salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in the sugar and allow yeast to proof for 5 minutes. Mix in oil, salt and 2 cups of the flour until well combined. Slowly add the last 1/2 cup of flour. Add only enough to make a moderately stiff dough that is just barely not sticky, and knead for about 10 minutes. Put in a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat, and cover with a towel to let it rise until double (30-60 minutes). Turn on the oven to 500 F with your pizza stone on the bottom rack, if you don't have a stone you can invert a cookie sheet or use a piece of aluminum foil.

Punch down and divide dough into 8 pieces (I flatted the dough into a disk, then using a pizza cutter, I cut the dough into eight wedges).

Lightly flour counter top and rolling pin (I use then same wooden dowel that I use for tortillas) Roll out each piece into 6 inches wide circles, while sprinkling flour over the dough to keep it from sticking. Be careful to not over work at this point.

Place disks of dough on a floured wax paper, cover with a towel and let rise for 15-30 minutes. Carefully peel dough off wax paper and cook in over 4-5 minutes.

Immediately remove from the oven and wrap in wet towel (this makes them soft). Keep them in the towel until mostly cooled and then transfer to a plastic bag.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page