Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Multiple veggie allergies/intolerances

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Multiple veggie allergies/intolerances « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 9:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys, I have been doing a lot of research because I have an increasing problem with foods that I have to remove from my safe list. It seems that my list of food allergies/intolerances is growing daily. It had gotten to the point that almost all veggies were included on the list. In my desperate search I found out about the GAPS diet (http://www.gapsdiet.com/) which seemed to address my particular issues such as increasing allergies and malabsortion (I am severely folic acid and B12 deficient even though beef is a staple of my diet).

I was really worried when I read that the diet depends heavily on grass-fed animal broth and fermented foods to heal the gut. I shouldn't be able to tolerate beef broth made from the long bones crosscut (to better extract the marrow, gelatin and collagen into the broth) after all, I cannot tolerate even one gelatin capsule. Guess what? I can drink it with no problem. Also, all the veggies I couldn't tolerate (when cooked alone) are tolerated no problem if I cook them to death in broth and then puree them. I can also drink fermented vegetable juice (the diet warns not to try to eat the fermented veggies at first) with no problem (it provides healthy bacteria for the gut and also cures heartburn immediately). I am sick right now and not able to implement the whole diet because of that (too sick to move) but luckily I had acquired grass-fed osso bucco and made a huge pot of broth (and super vegetable beef soup) the weekend before I got sick. We are living off that for now.

Now I am not advocating that everyone should try this diet, but for people like me that faced an ever-shrinking list of tolerable foods and increasing allergies this just may be the answer. Maybe for me, the intolerance to FGA was just another intolerance caused by an underlying problem making me allergic to many things. Maybe that underlying problem is unhealthy gut flora. This diet is designed to heal the gut first by supplying nutrients in the most easily assimilated form while slowly building healthy gut flora with probiotics in the form of lacto-fermented vegetables.

Obviously avoidance (as outlined in this website and book) brought me tremendous relief from the inflammation that was racking my body but I got to a plateau and seemed to get no better even using strict avoidance. In fact, I seemed to be getting worse since my diet was more limited and I was already deficient in certain vital nutrients (I couldn't tolerate any of the foods listed as sources of folic acid) and I couldn't find any supplements that I can tolerate. The GAPS diet advocates avoidance of FGA (and all unnatural additives) as well but also suggests ways to heal. IT IS NOT A CURE SO THAT YOU CAN GO BACK TO EATING PROCESSED FOODS. I just wanted to post about this so everyone can read the info and decide for themselves.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page