Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cost to cook without MSG

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Cost to cook without MSG « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear a lot of people say that our food budget must be through the roof with the way we eat (lots of organic options, brand name loyal, highest quality, etc.) but it always amazes me how inexpensive it is to eat purest and best foods.

Iíve recently been hired to start cooking for a family and needed to figure out the cost of ingredients for each meal. I was pretty surprised and wanted to share (based on current 2009 prices and buying in bulk).

The 9x13 pans of food are enough food for my family of three to eat dinner with leftovers for a second dinner the following night:

2 quarts of a basic creamy soup $4.44
9x13 pan of Chicken and Dumplings $6.10
9x13 pan of Chicken Enchiladas with a side of rice and beans $6.60
9x13 pan of Chicken, broccoli and rice casserole $6.66

A dozen flour tortillas $0.35
Basic Rolled Biscuits $0.57
Homemade chicken broth $0.38 a cup
Cream of chicken soup substitute $0.56 a cup

Isnít that amazing? Just over $3.00 to feed a family of 3 a very generous and healthy dinner. I love it. I just wanted to say, I love the way we eat. I love how good I feel, I love how good my husband and daughter feels. I love knowing EVERY single ingredient my family is eating. I love that it is so inexpensive to feed my family the very best.

Just wanted to share that there are some great things that come from having this diet. This is one of those blessings.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 5:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My grocery bills are probably higher than most, but what I am getting in return is priceless. Plus I don't spend much on eating out, so I'm ahead in the long run no matter which way you figure it.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's so good to hear you from you both about the pros vs. the cons to the way we are eating now...the pros have it, hands down! It thrills Mike and I to read these encouraging posts of success. People who eat processed foods are paying for chemicals, ease/speed in preparation, and poor health...not to mention the expensive packaging.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page