Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cooking brown rice in 40 minutes

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Cooking brown rice in 40 minutes « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was having a lot of trouble getting brown rice to cook in only 40 minutes but I finally figured out my problem. I was using my cheap cookware and it just didn't work - it would still be too crunchy after an hour. I finally remembered my cast iron deep frying skillet with lid that I had pushed to the back of the cabinet when I got too weak to lift it. Using the cast iron pot, brown rice cooks perfectly in only 40 minutes. Yeah!! I have to get my son to maneuver the pot for me but I use it every time now.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 4:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a rice steamer for mine....well, when I was able to eat brown rice. Normally it suggests to cook/steam for about 40-60 minutes depending on amount or rice used, but I tried an experiment and cooked it for only 15-20 minutes and it came out a little al dente - I found I actually liked it that way but I still had a slight reaction so I haven't tried it again since. I think I might try it again and see. You can probably cook it the way you mentioned for less time too - It'd be al dente but less glutamates released.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melinda, I used a food steamer in the beginning because I thought it would be easier but it had to cook 1.5 hours. Granted I was trying to cook big amounts at a time to freeze, but I had reactions with that method's results as well. It was a food steamer and not a "rice cooker" but I didn't think it mattered since it gave instructions in the manual for cooking rice.

I am just surprised that the cookware makes such a huge difference in the cooking of rice. I have been cooking since I was a child and never knew cookware made that much difference. I guess because I just cooked with whatever my Mom had and used it the way she did that I never saw a comparison. The cast iron pot that I use for cooking rice now was actually a gift from Mom for frying chicken....
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, good cookware makes a HUGE difference. For some things you can get away with the cheap stuff. Like boiling pasta.

Does anyone think aluminum rice cooker pots could be a problem? Mine is aluminum, and have wondered if it's not the best idea because of the Alzheimer's implications. Though I don't have reactions to rice unless it's been in the fridge more than 24 hours.

One way to make your rice cook FAST is to fry it first. Heat up a little oil (I don't see why butter wouldn't work) and heat it on medium to medium-hi, stirring, until you can smell it start to "brown", or get the nutty aroma. Then into the rice cooker, and I swear, it takes a little over half the time.

Jennifer
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's so tasty that way, too, Jennifer. I like to add some onion to the rice when I brown it...great as pilaf that way. If you add some celery, too, and any herbs you like, and then steam it, it can be turned into a fried rice meal by adding a little cooked meat or seafood, or scrambled eggs.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantastic idea....I never thought of frying the rice before cooking it. I think I will try it with the next batch. I want to try the onion but unfortunately my son would have a stroke. He hates onions in food almost as much as I love them. (I can get away with finely diced in some dishes but I think it would be too obvious in his rice.LOL)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 7:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The onion really makes, I think. Bet he wouldn't even notice a little minced onion. :-)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried frying some rice and onion, then cooking it with broth I had saved in the freezer and boy was it good. Thanks for the idea of frying it first.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have to skip out on the onion, add a little minced garlic after you fry the rice. So yummy!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 6:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds really good too, I love garlic.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Made a Mongolian beef style dish and it turned out very well. Added about 1/4 cup of organic cane sugar to 1 lb. of raw ground beef (can use any meat) with some minced garlic, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes. Let stand for about 20 minutes. In oil, I sauted the beef and then added some green onions, 1 t. organic apple cider vinegar, 1/2 t. Chinese five spice, 1/4 t. of sesame seed oil, and some broccoli flowerets...just stir fried till almost tender...so good. You can add more heat or spices or sugar to taste..great with rice.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is Chinese five spice?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is sold in most grocery stores and Chinese groceries. It consists of just 5 spices and no fillers. I buy the Sun Luck brand and it contains fennel, anise, ginger, licorice root, cinnamon and clove...that's six, but maybe they don't count the licorice root..):
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, that's a lot of different flavors, I'll have to give it a try.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, if you have access to an Asian market, look for "Black Vinegar". I get the Koon Chun (or something like that) brand. I do OK with it, but if you're new to the diet you may react. The ingredients are a little suspect, but Balsamic vinegar is way worse for me (sulfites) based on the reactions I get. It's the Chinese version of Balsamic.

I use sake, black vinegar, garlic, ginger and salt for my base Chinese marinade. I swear it's just like restaurants.

Then I add the "secret ingredient" to customize the dish. I've figured out white pepper is for Kung-Pao chicken, and plum (or fig, whatever) jam for Mu-Shu pork/chicken. And it's all soy free!

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 7:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All good to know, thanks Jennifer.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aren't there any sulfites in sake? I do okay with most rice wine vinegars, come to think.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No sulfites. In fact the brand I get states no preservatives & no sulfites. It's never given me a reaction and I have been known to imbibe on rather a lot on occasion. Wine or beer...has made me throw up after only one, without even really feeling the "fun" effects.

I did see on Carol's page that sometimes MSG is added to sake to hide the bitterness. I haven't run across that, but here in Northern California, there's a lot of food snobs, plus a local sake brewery in Berkley. I can't imagine anyone would dare adulterate a local product. They treat it the only way they know how here...just like a wine list!

In the Midwest, I can definitely see that happening, especially if the bottle has gone "off" a little.
viv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melinda thanks for your post. I can't tolerate brown rice at all. I thought it was me getting paranoid. Is there a list anywhere that included ALL foods with gultamate potential problems? I can't seem to handle even slightly heated milk either.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page