Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How Japanese cook white rice

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » How Japanese cook white rice « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found these instructions recently on how to cook Japanese or sushi rice and found it interesting. http://www.justhungry.com/2003/11/japanese_basics_1.html

As an American, I had cooked white rice for 30 years and never heard of rinsing it until I came to this site. My first AHA moment came after I suspected an allergy/sensitivity to corn and looked it up online to find hidden sources(I felt that it must be in Vanilla flavoring, canned tomatoes, most dairy products and I was right - little did I know that it would lead me here to find that it was but the tip of the iceberg). It was especially frustrating to find that white rice was one of my problems(and the reason why). Quoting my MD/PhD/diagnostician, "Nobody is ever allergic to rice". HA!

BTW, I was appalled to find out that corn is in almost everything normal Americans eat since it is highly allergenic. I am amazed that we don't have more people with multiple food sensitivities or more deaths from anaphylactic shock. What reasonable person would know that canned green beans have corn in them when the ingredients are: green beans, water, citric acid, salt. It makes me angrier every time I think about it.

Oh well, this started as an interesting anecdote and turned into a rant. Sorry, but I am very frustrated that even rotation diet guides don't explain the white/brown rice thing at all.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page