Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerances

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerances « Previous Next »

Dawna S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TRUE food allergies can never be reversed they are permanent. Food allergies can also occur as an adult even if you've never had any food allergies in the past. Don't let your family doctor tell you they can't. Food Intolerances or sensitivities, on the other hand, can sometimes be reversed by completely eliminating the offending food from your diet for 8-12 weeks. Follow a rotation diet so you do not begin to have new intolerances. After 8-12 weeks introduce the offending foods back into your diet one at a time but DO NOT introduce more than one food back into your diet every 7 days. This way you can tell what caused the problem. Keep a food diary of EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. This includes chewing gum, toothpaste & dental floss. Personal hygiene diary is helpful also in pinpointing any skin reactions especially if you use many skin and body care products.

I have found with my food intolerances or sensitivities that MSG has definitely played a role in it. Now almost everything I eat I make from scratch.

For those of you who drink alot of soda pop and are still having problems after weeding out foods, quit drinking pop (it doesn't have to be diet pop either to cause a reaction). It's more than likely sodium benzoate preservative AKA phosphoric acid. Yes, this causes reactions in MSG sensitive people.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pepsi has citic acid which is a big no no for most NOMSGers. Coke does not contain citric acid and I can drink that on occasion, but giving up soda is a good idea for many reasons.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

High fructose corn syrup and corn syrup, along with natural flavors, dextrose, and artificial flavors and coloring don't help much, either.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 6:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I think you have that backwards...Food allergies can sometimes be reversed. Food intolerances can not be gotten rid of due to the fact that you do not have the enzymes needed to digest that food. Comes from our ancestors, at least, according to my naturopath. I am potato, seafood, and fruit/sugar at 8 hours intolerant, meaning I can have fruit or sugar but not together and not within eight hours of each other. Potato and seafood, (seafood defined as anything alive in water so that includes seaweed, fresh water or salt water), I can't have period. One commonality that led me to the book and from the book to this web site is that I usually do fine with gluten free items. I was frustrated because I was still having reactions despite eating a clean diet according to my intolerances and yet, I was still developing more symptoms. I hope that I have finally found my answer here and I am hoping that it may be more msg related than food intolerance, we'll see..??? another chicken or the egg story. :-)

Anyhow, I am rambling, but the way they treat allergies to get rid of them is to expose the person to small doses of whatever it is they are allergic to...over time, they build up an immunity ---sometimes. On the other hand, your body will never produce the enzymes to digest whatever it is you are intolerant to...i.e. how your ancestors orginally ate. Some people lived in areas where meat was more commonly ate, others lived in areas where they gathered fruit or grains...however, I do think enzymes might be built up so that you do not react as rapidly or the avoidance makes it go away for a time, but it will come back with more exposure so it is never an option for long. Anyhow, that's my two cents worth. I have been encouaged by the stories and posts on this discussion forum. If someone could point me to a brand name list for stores that would be helpful...my problem is that I buy something and do fine, go back and buy it again and I react?? Not sure what is up with that...frustrating, expensive, and well, just frustrating.

I live in Eastern Washington. Is there another place like a yahoo group where I might could find a support group or something to share/exchange ideas? Thanks...
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 6:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to say I like this site, but there is sooo much info. And some of the dates seem really old like 2002... I was just wondering if I was missing out on more current info.

I would be willing to email, but need to know where to send that relatively safely, if you know what I mean..:-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duchess, I have not found any other group or website better than this one. Yes, there are many posts and much reading to be done here, but you can do a search and narrow that down. As long as you have the basics down in the beginning, the rest can be learned slowly. I check in just about every or every other day and have been for about 3 years so I've read a lot of interesting, valuable info over time. As far as old posts from 2002, not that much has changed so most of that info is still good. The creator of this site is from Washington so she may be able to suggest where to shop, but you'll still have to read labels and shop for organic food. To read the most recent posts, at the top of this page, under the "Last 1,3,7 Days" heading you can click on one of the numbers of days.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Di. I guess the most troubling aspect is finding out that they are putting Auxigro (sp?) on the food. I mean okay, so provide both, the people who want food without should be able to go to the store and buy it, right? :-)

I know, I know...dreaming here...
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi duchess, i am also new here, only about a month... but i wanted to say that, for me, this site has been a Godsend! ...i have tried to 'eat healthy' for many many years, yet over the past 10 years have seen my own health & that of my family slip gradually into chronic mystery issues. until finding this board, i had very limited success figuring out what is going on... i had a lot of ideas & theories, but when there is so much conflicting information being published by so many different sources, who have so many different agendas... well, i found it fairly impossible to sift through & make sense of it all.
especially when several things which are supposed to be all purpose Healthy Miracle Foods ended up making one or more people in my family very ill... in a number of different ways... it all seemed so confusing and random

after getting on this board and reading through hundreds of posts, including the old archives... all of a sudden so many things have begun clicking into place! i think you might find the same happens for you, so please let me encourage you to have patience- and keep reading :-)
You will also find this site is a wonderful support- no more feeling like you are stumbling through all on your own. if your doctor tells you 'youre healthy - go home'... if well meaning family unintentionally 'glutamate' you... if you succeed in getting rid of one symptom only to find 2 more crop up... if you just need a good cry!- you can share here, and find a listening ear.
and when you have that Light Bulb Moment of discovery... when a plaguing symptom FINALLY clears up... when you learn a new piece of relevant information- again, you can share it here, and find an appreciative audience! we all have so much we want to learn

so please keep on reading, discovering, and contributing! i hope you will find relief from your health problems- you are right, it really is expensive and frustrating, and difficult to avoid so many chemicals... but at least here on this board no one is forced to go it alone :-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 4:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duchess, We all agree Auxigro is very troubling. The good news is that Auxigro is no longer sold in the US, however, those farmers that had an excess may still be using it until their stock is depleted. It is infuriating that our food supply is so contaminated and difficult to know what you are really buying. There is a group "Organic Consumers Association" (http://www.organicconsumers.org) that puts out a monthly e-news letter to which you can subscribe that has links so you can easily write to your senators, congressmen and others to protest. You can sign up to receive these monthly letters, they are very good.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 4:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the info. and the encouragement. It is very much appreciated.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duchess, I had the same problem that you are experiencing in the beginning. I kept a food journal and recorded everything I ate. I soon realized that I am allergic to corn and soy so ALL food additives bother me as well as hidden sources of corn (corn is in virtually everything processed). Now we don't buy many products with labels or more than one ingredient and we cook everything from scratch. Even so, we occasionally get corned accidentally and during those reactions we react to certain things that don't bother us at any other time. I believe we become very sensitive during a reaction so our solution is to go back to a very simple diet for the days during the reaction. Whatever your problem is, a food journal can help you track it down.

If you figure out a failsafe diet for you that contains no possible allergens, you can always revert back to that for a few days in times of trouble. That has made a huge difference for us. Probiotics have made a huge difference for us as well. Whether you choose to buy probiotic powder (customprobiotics.com contains no additives) or get them through safe yogurt, fermented veggies (homemade sauerkraut), or drinking kefir, try adding some to your diet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page