Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why do they (doctors)not believe...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Why do they (doctors)not believe « Previous Next »

Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so upset. I went to my regular doctor today caused I got poked in the eye---long story short he sent me to the eye doctor to be sure a small plant piece was not lodged in my eye. SOOOO I call the eye Dr. and explain my allergies,,she (the receptionist)says it is not a problem to bring a list so they can cross reference it in case they need to medicate. When there I WRITE IT ALL DOWN..I HAVE EVEN LEARNED TO WRITE THE WORDS PRESERVATIVES.ADDITIVES.ARTIFICIAL so they get a little cautious. When they come in I tell them again ,,,he tells me to look up and puts drops im my eye...of couse I start crying one cause I am scared and 2 it will help flush it out...then comes the oh we will give you something to counteract it...five minutes later I am done...my cheeks are numb, arms hiving out and my eye feels like sandpaper. SO I left, did a benadryl and my eye is dialated and swollen. I am truly concerned how casual doctors are about allergies. No wonder people die. HE IS "SORRY I AM UPSET" so
I called the office and stated:

there are lines on the form for allergies.
I wrote all of mine on the lines.
circled the word ALLERGIES
as requested, I also brought a printout of the said allergies.
there are several items on the lines that would have killed me before help arrived
you do not know which items they are
evidently no one cared
fortunately it was not my day to die
LaurenC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh No! So sorry to hear that Debbey. I don't know why they treat us this way. At the very least they could say that the only thing I can give you has "this" in it and then let you decide if you want it. Good for you for standing up for yourself and calling them back. At least now you know one doctor not to go to.
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Human nature gives people a tendency to disregard other people's problems if they are not problems they have themselves. We were discussing this at my office yesterday - one coworker was extolling the virtues of DEET, and my boss countered with a story she saw on YouTube about a young man who used a tiny amount of DEET-bearing insect repellant and died twenty minutes later from a reaction. We have a tendency to downplay other people's concerns if they're not something that we know affects us personally.

Doctors are definitely like this - if the literature tells them something is safe, then by golly any patient's objections must be the result of hypochondria and shouldn't be taken seriously. ~_~

I'm sorry you've had this horrible experience. Theoretically you could sue for malpractice, though that would, no doubt, be more expensive than it's worth. However, the threat of such might cause him to take this sort of thing more seriously in the future...
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I had a similar thing happen to my son at the hospital. He was allergic to corn (dextrose) and when they came in the middle of the night to hang a "standard procedure" IV, it was, of course, Dextrose. I caught it in time, but like you, had written and circled and told everyone, but they just don't always "get it".
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The statistics of mistakes and accidental fatalities in hospitals are staggering. The one place you truly need conscientious care, and if a patient advocate isn't there to monitor and ask questions, the chances that an error will occur are way too high. It's scary and unconscionable!

And how about the food ? ? ? Do you think it's safe? ? ?
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I personally don't think it's safe. When my son was going to be hospitalized, years ago, he was on a corn-free diet. I called the hospital a few days in advance and asked if they could feed him, otherwise I was going to be prepared to do so myself. They said no problem, I brought some things anyway, and well, they messed up almost every meal. So I ate his meals, and we found ways, with my family's help to feed him safely.

I am saving back water from cooking my vegetables, and all meat broth or drippings as I cook. I am freezing them and have told my family there will always be "clear liquids" in the freezer that are safe for me if hospitalized. Periodically, I will make soups from them when the inventory builds up, of course, but it is the only way I can figure to protect myself "just in case."

Does anyone else have other things that they are doing just in case?
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read what Dr. Blaylock says in Health and Nutrition Secrets about hospital food. Don't eat that stuff.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vicki s, I do the exact same thing with veggie liquid and meat juices. I always have a container in my freezer. When I have accumulated too much I make a soup that is so flavorful - every time I make it my husband says I should market it. It's just natures own goodness.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page