Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG Makes Food Taste Great?

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » MSG Makes Food Taste Great? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 192.168.229.248
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant understand why I hear over and over in info I read about msg that it makes food taste great. I saw a video on youtube by some expert who said that it would even make dirt taste great. I totally disagree with this positive claim about msg. I have tried many many packaged foods ,and food at reastaurants which I know had msg. Many of them from what I remember tasted bloody awful. Cheap ingredients,too much sugar or salt or other preservatives make for lousy food, pure and simple. Even food that tastes good to many people like KFC chicken for example may very well taste just as good if not better in my opinion if there was no msg. Claiming that msg makes all food taste great is like giving ammunition to the enemy in my books.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, Congratulations for having a great natural, sensitive palate. There are many folks that only think food is tasty when it's MSG laden. After you have been used to only eating that type of food the normal plain food justs taste normal and plain. I am pleased to say after a couple of months of being MSG free I got my palate back and love normal plain food again - just like when I was a kid.
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG doesn't make food taste great - it makes your brain think it tastes great. Just like nicotine makes you forget how nasty cigarettes taste and smell. It fools the brain - not the palette. And perception is reality.
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Palate. I meant "palate." D'oh!
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Courtney, you are right on. MSG tricks the neurons in the brain. When I explain to people why I avoid aspartame, I tell them to imagine eating a pile of white flour by itself. I say, that is how aspartame really tastes. But when you ingest it, it works on the transmitters in your brain and says, OH, it is sugar! Deceiving white powder.
For those of you who haven't see it, here is an actual photo:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50683310/MSG_Mono_sodium_Glutamate.jpg
Anonymous

Posted From: 208.97.126.226
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"MSG doesn't make food taste great - it makes your brain think it tastes great. Just like nicotine makes you forget how nasty cigarettes taste and smell"

I used to be a smoker for many years Courtney,until about 12 years ago. The longer I smoked for the more I realized how badly cigarettes tasted,and I realized how short of breath I was every time I smoked a cigarette. I eventually quit mainly for these reasons.
I still cant agree that msg makes everything taste great. As I said,there are many packaged food products which simply tast like junk food to me. There are many restaurants which serve poor quality meats for example which I know do not taste good to me regardless of the amount of msg used. Good food is about using fresh ,pure natural ingredients. The way it is cooked also matters. Burnt food or undercooked food will never tatse great simply because it has msg. As for dirt I have never eaten dirt,but to say it would make dirt taste great is to give msg extraordianry powers. I think Diane hit the nail on the head with this statement: "I am pleased to say after a couple of months of being MSG free I got my palate back and love normal plain food again - just like when I was a kid".
I think msg only has any power at all over people who regularly consume it,and arent consciously aware of any effect it may be having. I remember when I cut out all foods with additives many years ago,including most meats, I started feeling great. Whenever I would slip however and eat something which was packaged or prepared from a restaurant,I would notice it had a lot of flavor,but really it always seemed like too much flavour to me,since I was used to eating only naturaly flavoured food,and my palate had become much more sensitive. Usually msg laden foods are also high in other additives like salt or sugar,or any number of preservatives or chemical flavours. Immediatley after eating these processed foods I would be very aware of unpleasant reactions,like flushed face, dizziness,changes in my vision etc.
Therefore I really think almost anybody who quits msg and other additives for a certain period of time would no longer find these impure food products "tasty" at all.
Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just emailed the following message to KFC. Im not expecting much of course,but perhaps if enough people sent them their own messages they might take the idea seriously:

Hello I am wondering if anyone at KFC has every thought about offering chicken or other products without msg? Some people like myself are very allergic to it ,and will have very bad reactions after eating it. I am sure you may be aware there are many people like myself,plus many many more who would choose to eat anything which the believe is a healthier,more natural option,sincerely Steve Keays
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evidently there are others, like I, that believe the taste buds are affected. Per the U of Miami researchers "They said MSG triggers certain taste buds, which send electrical signals to the brain." The addictive part comes from the brain. Even the other senses, smell, sight, hearing, touch all have to be processed by the brain. So, in the end yes, it's all about the brain. I realize MSG doesn't have a flavor (except maybe salty) of its own - it is a flavor enhancer.
Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes Dianne I certainly agree that msg must be a flavour enhancer,and acts in many ways like an addictive drug to the taste buds. I just dont think its a good idea for people to claim it can make literally anything taste great. What is the point in exagerating and giving it some mystical all powerful status. We have enough dirt(no pun intended) on msg we dont need to stretch the truth at all. The main thing is that people have to get the junk food and preservatives out of their lives long enough for their taste buds to become sensitive enough to discover how great wholesome foods can taste.
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it creates an addiction. But unlike the obvious vices like alcohol or tobacco, people have no idea they're addicted to glutamate. They know they have their favorite foods and they know they have cravings for certain foods - but for the most part they have no idea why because nobody has told them or they haven't figured it out on their own. Or worse yet, they know but don't seem to believe it/care.

It doesn't take long to get the cravings out of your system - for me it took about three days. It was easier to quit MSG for MSG's sake than it was to quit smoking. The harder part is figuring out how to eat. A lot of people who are aware of what is in their food and how it may be affecting them, don't want to make the effort to make the lifestyle change. They think it takes too much time, costs too much money, or they just plain like their poisoned food more than they care about what might happen to them in the future.

I have friends with asthma, migraines, fibromyalgia, etc. and none of them are willing to bite the bullet and just change how they live. The one with fibromyalgia makes me so angry because I know that she could change her life, she just chooses to stay sick.

So it's not always a matter of proving that whole foods taste good or even better (that part is easy) it's more about convincing people that they're addicted to poisonous food additives and the least that could happen to them would be GI issues, fatigue, etc. - worst case, it could kill them. That's the tricky part - the rest, by comparison, is easy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page