Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Iodine/Thyroid - Crucial Info.

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Iodine/Thyroid - Crucial Info. « Previous Next »

Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the following two radio interviews available for download here:

http://www.iodine4health.com/overviews/audiovisual/flechas_audiovisual.htm

One snippet from these interviews is the following:

Hormone Receptors and Iodine. All hormone receptors are dependent on iodine, which increases the sensitivity of the receptor to the hormone it is designed for. For example, it can increase the sensitivity of insulin receptors and thus help with diabetes. Similarly, it can increase the sensitivity of the receptors for neurotransmitters (e.g., serotonin, dopamine, GABA) in the brain. Thus, depression may lift after taking iodine. It can also increase the sensitivity of receptors for testosterone and FSH/LH.

Does the above imply that us MSG-sensitive folks should abstain from taking extra iodine because supplementing with it would make us even more sensitive to glutamic-acid and its derivatives?
Vicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question. :-) I don't have any idea, but two months ago I started taking a barley product that also has kelp in it. I wondered about the barley AND the kelp when I started taking it, so I called the company to find out what the glutamic acid level was and it was practically nothing, so I tried it. I feel great and it hasn't bothered me at all, only seems to have helped me. So it might depend on the source of iodine as to whether it would be a problem or not. Just a guess....
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanksgiving ideas...just received this email and asked Lori for permission to post it here. So here is her inquiry and my response:
At 07:49 AM 11/13/2007, you wrote:
I have been using your book and recipes for some time now and always struggle at the holidays making things that are suitable for me but yet enjoyable to the rest of the family. Last year I spent $65.00 on an organic turkey and it was disgusting--so we are going back to the local brand I found without additives. Anyway, if you have any suggestions for the dressing, cranberry salads, vegetable dishes etc. that would be great. Actually, why not plan a visit to the East Coast and you can just cook the whole meal for me!!!!! Thanks for any help. Lori S.

Very funny, Lori!
I know what you mean about cooking for the holidays. Fortunately for me, my daughter and daughter-in-law avoid MSG and we all make different dishes to share. I make the fresh cranberry relish every year (in the book) and everyone loves it. I also make white bread a few weeks ahead of time and freeze it to use for the stuffing. I bought some Foster Farms chicken legs and will simmer them in water with celery and onion to make a broth to add to the bread cubes. The day before Thanksgiving, I saute celery and onion in butter and olive oil until tender. I season with thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar and some sage, tasting as I go. Then I toss with the bread cubes and moisten with the broth. I often add some of the leg meat and then put into a large buttered casserole. Top with some butter dabs and cover with foil...this can be done a couple days before Thanksgiving. I don't stuff the bird, since my daughter is roasting that. Besides, it is so tasty with the broth added, we like it better this way. I do remove the cover for the last 8 minutes or so to brown the top a bit....the whole thing can bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees or kept warm with the cover for longer. If dry, drizzle with a little water or broth. As for veggies, I always make a medley. I simmer until almost cooked, broccoli, cauliflower, baby organic carrots, and Brussels sprouts.... then place in a large baking dish or casserole. I make a cream sauce and add, salt, pepper, some cayenne, a little garlic and onion powder to it, then pour it over the veggies. Top with grated jack cheese (not a lot) and bake much like the dressing. My favorite sweet potato casserole is made by simply simmering the sweet potatoes whole in water until tender. Peel and mash with a mixer, adding butter, milk, salt, pepper, a little sugar, and some spices to preference....cinnamon, clove, nutmeg...easy on the clove or omit. I beat in 2 eggs. Place in a casserole and top with a mixture of butter blended with pecans and brown sugar ( you can use part cane sugar or honey) and salt....I don't measure, but it's about 1 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/2 cup of soft butter (or less to your preference), 1/2 cup pecans (or more to taste), 1/4 t. salt, and 1 or 2 T. of flour. I buy a foster Farms turkey at our Costco and have had no problem...says it is all natural and no additives. The milk I use is Organic Valley whole milk mixed half and half with water, but you can use Rice Dream original rice milk for the cream sauce...or a nut milk....I make that by pureeing 1 cup blanched almonds with 4 cups of water. The butter I use is a mix I make by beating together 1 cup Organic Valley salted butter with 3/4 cups mild olive oil, 1/3 cup of water, and a pinch of salt and sugar. Beat the butter and oil first and slowly beat in the water. I use it for a lot of my needs in the kitchen and at the table.
Happy Thanksgiving!
P.S. The first year I was cooking without MSG, I was terrified about buying a safe turkey and ended up with stuffed chicken breasts...everyone loved them, thankfully...besides, whatever you offer with love will be enjoyed by your family....or at least it should be, considering all the work we put into it!
Kalliopi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have started taking Iodine in the form of Iodoral, starting with one pill a day (12,5 mg iodine) one year ago. I have slowly built up to 12 pills a day (150 mg, not micrograms iodine); I did not suffer very much detox, most probably because I was taking the recommended Vit C and selenium all along.
Also I had been liver flushing (28 flushes to date).
At first I did not notice any improvement in MSG sensitivity.
Around 8 months after starting, when I was at 8 pills per day, I noticed a definite improvement in my sensitivity! Normally if I ingest MSG in any form I feel the effect for 6 days. After 8 months on Iodoral I felt the effects only for 3-4 days!
Now that I am at 12 Iodorals a day, I feel the bad effects of MSG only for 2 days! Needless to say, this is not something I test on purpose!
The very fact that my sensitivity is DECREASING is for me marvelous. I should say that the same thing happened to my husband who suffered as much as I did and took the iodine too!
It does take time though, which makes it difficult to get noticed in the beginning.
Also, there is no hope to go back to eating out regularly as we did in our youth. BUT IT IS FANTASTIC not to suffer when you have to eat at a friend's place etc.
If you are interested in more details you should check the curezone forum where I got all my information :
http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalliopi,

Since my original post about iodine, I contacted Dr. Blaylock to ask him if supplemental iodine could make me more sensitive to MSG and he responded saying he had never heard that it did. I guess your story proves that indeed, supplementing with iodine does not make MSG sensitivity worse but in fact helps in this regard. I am thrilled for you. I proceeded and am now up to 7 drops/Lugol's day (over 40 mg. day). I also take 600 mcg. selenium but have not taken any supplemental Vit. C. What form are you taking and in what dose?

Have you seen Dr. Brownstein's compelling DVD? Thanks for sending that Curezone link. I have been there before but got lost in the sheer amount of info. there.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried potassium iodine (around 15 milligrams) and did not notice any increase in my MSG sensitivity. Has anyone noticed increased energy and insomnia (I haven't, but I am worried that it might be a side effect from the iodine)?
Kalliopi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cherylin,
I have taken about 2 to 4 g Vit C per day, depending on how I was feeling. Not at the same time as the Iodoral/Lugol's because it seems that Vit C reduces the iodine into iodide and then you are left with only iodide, whilst the interesting bit about taking Lugol's or Iodoral is that you get both Iodine AND Iodide. They target different organs.
I take it in pills of 1 g. The last I bought in Bangkok was an Australian brand I found perfectly alright and very affordable : Blackmore's. I normally test everyday with my pendulum to find out how much I need. Same for the Selenium (I don't take more than 400 micrograms. I try to take Vit C WITH a fresh orange or lemon juice, and my Selenium WITH a couple of Brazil Nuts (careful with those as they are sometimes covered in hydrogenated oil = MSG; I test them with the pendulum when I buy them to make sure thare is no MSG there). The reason for this is from my pendulum again, I found out that I assimilate all this better if there is a natural form of it taken at the same time.

As to insomnia, I have been up to 12 Iodoral pills with no insomnia. I do take them half in the morning and half early afternoon. I sleep like a log now! After having had very light sleep for years, waking up every hour of the night sometimes!
And I found increased energy.

I have taken breaks in Iodine supplementation, a couple of weeks here and there, when I stopped all supplements (decreasing them to nothing). I had no problems and could always start again and reach in a couple of days the level of supplementation I was at when I stopped.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those on thyroid meds need to avoid iodine or it will throw off the amount of medication needed.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or rather. They should adjust their thyroid medication downwards in a controlled way.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalliopi, will you explain about the pendulum? What is it? How does it work? Where do you get one?
Also, what did you mean by "careful with those as they are sometimes covered in hydrogenated oil = MSG"? What does hydrogenated oil have to do with MSG? Thanks.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalliopi, Cherylin, and Zoomer, plus anyone else using Iodoral or iodine supplements-

I have been trying to find the source of this overwhelming fatigue, among other symptoms too, and so tried the "home test" (how long tincture of iodine painted on the skin takes to be absorbed) for iodine sufficiency. I "failed" and would seem therefore, to be iodine deficient. I will be consulting with my family doctor about the iodine/iodide loading test to get some quantitative information about my deficiency, but I suspect he will "pooh-pooh" me. I see that Iodoral is also available without prescription and so wondered if I should just go this on my own instead.

How did you all find out that you needed iodine?
What kind of doctor have you had supervise this procedure of increasing your sufficiency?
Do I need a doctor to supervise this? (I am not on thyroid medication because my doctor believes that since my TSH is in the normal range, my thyroid is functioning fine. Allopathy....)

Thanks for any information you can give me. :-)
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if I have been iodine deficient. I just assumed that. I did reserach about it and the possible side effects of overdosing and made the decision to try it. Fishers in Japan have an intake from natural sources of up top 50 mg/day without any problems. The only possible side effect would be an overactive thyorid (restlessness, insomnia etc.) If I encounter that I will just stop supplementing around 15 mg every third day. There was abolutely no point in talking to my narrow-minded doctor about it.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Zoomer. If my doctor doesn't "buy in" to this idea, I may have to do the same thing.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received the results of my iodine/iodide loading test and it said I was 84% sufficient, which was highly surprising. With the loading test, I also got a phone consult with Dr. Flechas. Good plan!

He said that with my history of drinking Mountain Dew for 40 years, not using iodized salt for the last 20 years, and using pyridostigmine bromide in my 20's for MG, as well as not eating fish most of my life-the 84% sufficiency means that my body is so full of bromide that it just dumped the iodine right out. It means I have a NIS defect, and he has a protocol for overcoming that so you can get iodine into the cells and get better.

Can you see my smiling face? :-)Just had to let you guys know!
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is one self-test so determine if you are deficient. If you react to chlorine in e.g. swimming pools you are deficent in ioidine. If you used to have a reaction and it went away after supplementing your body have absorbed the ioidine. (I have no idea if you can be deficient and not react to chlorine.)
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny you should mention that! I asked Dr. Flechas if it was okay to go swimming and he said the high dose of Iodoral that I am on would protect me from absorbing the chlorine.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zoomer or vicki s, Could either of you advise where I could look for info about iodine deficiency and chlorine. I've tried to google different words but haven't been able to come up with any articles that talk about this.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The three webites that I have found about iodine are: iodine4health.com
breastcancerchoices.org
optimox.com
All have loads of articles, some have a search option. I will look in the book I have on iodine and see if it has anything specific to chlorine. If I find something, I'll post it for you. :-)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

vicki s,

Very interesting, thanks for the websites. I will have to investigate further. I notice that one link for optimox.com took me to a site of a W. Bloomfield doctor, David Brownstein. Have you gone to see him? If so, were you impressed with him?
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not gone to him, but do have a few of his books. They have been very helpful. I understand he is not taking patients but his associate, Dr. Ng, is. So I have thought about trying to see him if I still need help in 3 months after following this new protocol. If you are near enough to W. Bloomfield, I would certainly go see Dr. Ng.

Also, there is a very active iodine yahoo group. It is a good place to get questions answered.

BTY, I was very impressed over the phone with Dr. Flechas' nurse and with him. Very kind, very helpful, made you feel important.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page