Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How many mg Taurine/day?

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » How many mg Taurine/day? « Previous Next »

Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is your experience with how much Taurine to take/day?

When I discovered Taurine I was desperate and took 2000 - 3000 mg/day (Solgar). After a few days I noticed that my thinking and mental clarity slowed down and my short term memory became really bad. I could have a thought for a second and then lose it again. Only remembering that there was something I should do or remember. My short term memory was so bad that I could go into the next room to do something, only to be standing in the door clueless about what it was a few seconds later. (These effects are what you could expect considering that Taurine inhibits synaptic firing of the nerve cells in the brain.)

When I stop with Taurine completely the problems go away after a couple of days, but then my MSG-sensitivity goes up.

The last five week I have taken 1000 mg/day but now the sluggishness is back again. I will stop taking it for a few days.

I guess that 500 mg/day is the dose i should stay at, and only go higher if I am at risk of MSG exposure.

(Ps. My experience is that Taurine is much more effective if taken before MSG-exposure. If I take it after exposure I can only partially suppress the MSG-reaction, and only with very high dosages.)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing that, Zoomer. It's always a guess and sometimes a risk playing with the amounts of amino acid supplementation. Are you avoiding MSG enough so that you can keep lowering the amount you take?
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I am also curious if anyone else has experienced the short-term memory problems from high dose Taurine?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 8:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i found this article on taurine, it seems like it could be really useful- the author has compiled a whole list of good info that is hard to come across all together (activity in body, causes of deficiency, etc)...

www.bodyecology.com/06/11/16/deficient_in_taurine.php
"Are You Dangerously Deficient in Taurine?"

among the deficiency triggers listed: candida- it competes for absorption. what do you know... both my asd son and i have issues with yeast...
among the good food sources mentioned: eggs- and ever since ive begun experiencing yeast die-off, ive been wanting eggs again (for quite awhile, eggs just seemed so yucky...i am guessing becoz of the candida)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Blaylock and Carol Hoernlein recommend supplementing with taurine. I have in on hand and take it a couple times a week...the dry powder form. Someone said it helps those with sulfite sensitivity, too...which I have.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 5:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably me, Deb - because you commented on it when I posted before. What I understood from my researching (on the internet - I am not a scientist - though re: another thread, I too thought you were a nurse, Deb! :-)) is that if you are sentisitive to sulfites, you may have a genetic defect that does not allow you to properly metabolize sulfur, which in turn inhibits your bodies natural production of Taurine. I believe this deficiency to be a large factor in my FGA sensitivity.

So if this is not a factor for you, I could see an overabundance of Taurine, being no better than an overabundance of glutamate (well - that's a stretch - but my point is Balance).

If you are looking to remedy an accidental ingestion of FGA, I believe Roy suggested, and it works for me, is to take ibuprofen. I take it before a meal at an unfamiliar restaurant. I may still get a mild headache the next day, but I will avoid the severe fatigue and muscular symptoms I experience when FGA uses up my already limited supply of Taurine.

I take Taurine 1Kmg/2X daily and sometimes a larger recovery dose if I am experiencing symptoms (mainly muscle twitching/fatigue/aching) due to other factors, such as stress - which also gobbles up Taurine.

Bottom line for me, I believe, is that I have a (natural) taurine deficiency and MSG/FGA excacerbated the condition immensely. These errors in metabolism also interfere with natural production of glutathione - our body's natural detoxifier. So wonder of wonders, when I was on balance with Taurine, I lost my sensitivity to metals.

I have noted before that everyone's needs are different, and it is by trial and error that I keep settling back to my 1K\2X daily. Only study I have seen recommending Taurine dosage mg/kg recommended 30-40mg/kg (I have seen article recommending other doses, and have posted the Observable safe level from another study).

Don't know your weight Zoomer, but for me, I found that my trail and error dosage agreed with that study.

So! If you don't NEED taurine, try just cutting out MSG and using ibuprofen when you suspect you may or have ingested MSG/FGA.

Diet is the key, for sure. And my very simplified form of it is: If god didn't make it, I don't eat it! :-)
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 5:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And after that dissertation, Zoomer, I realized I did not answer your question.

When I have taken large recovery doses, as you mentioned - I have experienced some issues. Taurine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so it seems logical that there will be effects if you have take more than you need. I have read there is no toxicity level and that excess is excreted in the urine - and elsewhere I have read that it is stored in many tissues in our body! Conflicting info and I believe that none of us responds identically to anything. So maybe when we have enough stores, excess is excreted? Nothing definitive in my (internet) reseaching so far.

So! When I doubled my dosage for an extended period (I think it was 2-3 weeks) - I saw some issues, but I am not clear that if they were due to the Taurine, or the high stress events that contributed to my need for more. What I noticed was I would say the entirely wrong word at times. For example, one time I looked at a picture of a yellow balloon and called it a banana :0)

Keep experimenting. You may find that with the right diet, the right amount of Taurine for you is Zero. Also, not familiar with the brand name you indicated (Solgar). If this is not pure powder, I highly recommend pure powder. 2 US manufacturers (Carlson and Nutrabio.com). That way you can modify your dosage at will, and not have to be concerned with capsules.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 5:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....am reposting this:

SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
I sent this out today, hoping it would reach many more. You can do the same..either use as is, or edit as you wish, adding your own words:

"The following message was just sent to us, most likely as a result of the recently reported serious reactions by children to the flu shot....12 hospitalized and some with seizures, a typical MSG reaction. Glutamate (as in MSG) and gelatin (high in glutamate) have been used in flu shots in recent years. Researchers have tried to show that mercury in the shots are not a problem, as many people believe. Lab tests in the past have demonstrated that when a form of mercury was added to healthy tissue, it remained healthy. But when MSG was added, the cells began to change. ( Paschner et al. ("Methylmercury alters glutamate transport in astrocytes."" Neurochem Int. Aug-Sep, 200;37 (23): 199-206). "Co-application of nontoxic concentrations of methymercury and glutamate leads to typical appearance of neuronal lesions associated with excitotoxic stimulation". (Matyja and Albbrecht 1993) Factory created glutamate ( an excitotoxin which can stimulate brain cells to death)) has been a big player in the rise of modern day epidemics for the last 15 years or more. The rise in obesity, Fibromyalgia, autism, ADD, depression, acid reflux, migraine, and many neurological disorders are now being linked to the excessive use of glutamate rich additives in most of our processed foods today. Why are big drug companies like Lily devoting so much time and money into developing glutamate blockers for these disorders, which also include Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Schizophrenia? Protect your family and yourself. Please do some research and then read those labels on your food..here's some great links to help you get started:
www.msgmyth.com
www.truthinlabeling.org
www.msgtruth.org
P.S. PLEASE send this important message to everyone you know. Someone will benefit from this free information. Most of us are reacting to glutamate already and we don't even know it.
Wishes for your good health,
Deb and Mike Anglesey

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:42:16 -0
Subject: Flu Shots/MSG Personal from Sally

Please wake up America!!!! This email concerns MSG/Flu Shots/Toxic reactions. PLEASE go to the internet and research the above subjects. You will be surprised when you research what MSG, items CONTAINING MSG, and other toxins are doing to our bodies. MSG is a poison, not an allergen. We are concerned about obesity, autism, and other ailments. I have been affected for 4 years, and was self diagnosed with severe MSG sensitivity via internet research. Approximately fifteen MD's (including Cleveland Clinic evaluation) COULD not diagnose an MSG severe reaction. I was hospitalized twice due to spiking blood pressure(210/120) and seizures. I then began to analyze food intake and found that by eliminating MSG/ingredients containing MSG (medications, supplements, food, drinks), that my reactions were less severe and/or eliminated. Many individuals, including physicians, have testified before congress regarding MSG as toxins, but received no support because of the food industry. Look into this also. Mrs. Obama should look at MSG AND ingredients with MSG, rather than just sodium, saturated fat, and calories. MSG, a food enhancer but unfortunately a poisonous toxin, causes one to want and eat more. How toxic are our bodies? Even some formulas and baby food contain MSG or ingredients that contain MSG. When does the toxicity begin???? Please do your homework. We repeatedly keep hearing news regarding autism, obesity, flu shots, and other diseases increasing. Could it be MSG/MSG ingredients? We think so. What say you?
Sally Rhodes"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page