Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Coping Strategies that Keep Me Functi...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Coping Strategies that Keep Me Functional « Previous Next »

Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My never-ending search for strategies to keep me functional (before I made the MSG connection) were motivated by a burning desire to avoid repeating dysfunctional behavioral patterns when raising my three daughters that I was exposed to while growing up.

My personal story can be found under 'How I Made the MSG Connection", FROM DEVASTATED TO ELATED.

My main strategy over the years was to figure out how best to make myself stronger thereby becoming less vulnerable to the barrage of insults I was facing from the various negative influences in my life (some of which I was aware of and some of which I wasn't). This has been an all-consuming quest but I have learnt so much from this journey for which I am grateful.

I will begin this thread with one major strategy that I have been employing for the last few months or so which I find tremendously helpful.

I found out about the concept of grounding myself and was so fascinated because I am quite familiar with the very negative effects of electro/EMF pollution. As a matter of fact, this is as much a scourge on society at large as the mass poisoning of society with additives like MSG/Aspartame. It is not a question of 'if' one is experiencing deleterious effects from this kind of pollution, but 'how' the damage is manifesting.

Before I made the MSG connection, I recognized a need to really reduce my stress levels because of my constant agitated state of being. I knew I needed to calm down. Through continual study and research, I found out that the adrenal glands are responsible for the 'fight or flight' response, ie. our stress response and that, unfortunately, almost everyone is suffering from adrenal insufficiency to one degree or another and one factor is our exposure to man-made, dangerous EMFs. Dangerous EMFs keep our adrenal glands in the survival mode of 'fight or flight'. Through my incessant research, I also found out that the adrenals play an important role in our ability to detoxify. This I did not know. You can read about this in the following link, which is quite technical and over my head, but one can get the gist of what the author is saying.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_259-260/ai_n10299320

Then I discovered that by grounding myself, particularly when sleeping, I could create an electron shield around my body which would protect me from these EMFs. Doing this while sleeping is particularly helpful because it is during sleep that we engage in repairing our bodies. This is when we heal. To read about this, go to www.sleepingearthed.com . Apparently, after sleeping grounded for six weeks or so, the corisol level (secreted by the adrenals) actually normalizes. There is a link that discusses this on the website. Fascinating stuff. Releasing the whopping levels of static electricity we are all carrying inside our bodies also helps with inflammation. I have found my quality of sleep drastically improved and my ability to cope with life, in general, has gotten better. I don't seem to be so overwrought and overwhelmed as much (which happened even before I made the MSG connection).

These grounding devices can be quite pricey so a friend of mine hooked me up for almost next to no money. It was amazing. Before being hooked up, he measured the level of static electricity in my body. Then after being hooked up, he measured again. The difference was unbelivable. If anyone would be interested, I could post my DIY instructions on how to ground yourself.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I would like to know how to DIY. Please share. Thanks.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dianne,

According to the friend who taught me about the importance of sleeping grounded, any strategy that one can employ to increase the body's 'adaptive capacity' is a great strategy.

When my friend first measured me (before grounding), I measured something like 4000 millivolts (anything over 100 is considered dangerous). This is a very typical reading, considering all the electronic gadgetry we all use. After being hooked up, my levels dropped to about 25 millivolts, according to the digital multimeter he was using to measure me. At first I could not sleep very well - I think my body had to readjust. But it wasn't long before I could sleep deeply and soundly, every night.

Here are the DIY instructions on how to sleep grounded:

HOW TO GROUND YOURSELF WHILE SLEEPING

In order to create a ground, go to Home Depot for a grounding pole (they come as 6' or 10' lengths but 3' will suffice for our purposes) and a grounding clamp which will be beside the grounding pole. Then from an electronics store, purchase a grounding wrist strap and enough 14 gauge wire to cover the area from where your grounding pole is located in the ground to your bedroom. From your bedroom, throw the end of the wire out the window and drop it to the ground where your pole is going to be located. Alternatively, you could use the grounding rod beside the fuse box in your house, if there is one. If there isn't one, hammer the pole into the ground (making sure not to put it where there might be gas lines, electrical lines or water pipes) with just a small section (3-6") still sticking up. Strip about 3" of the insulation off the wire and twist individual strands together, attach the clamp to the grounding rod using the two screws on that portion of the clamp, put the stripped wire through the hole in the clamp and tighten the remaining screw against it so that it is tight. If you want, you can loop the stripped wire through the hole a couple of times and then tighten the screw. With a ladder, you may want to staple or otherwise fasten the wire to the brick of your house leading up to your bedroom window, just so it looks tidier. In our bedroom, the wire fits through a tiny opening where our screen attaches to the window frame. We did not need to drill through anything. Decide where to extend the wire to in order to comfortably be accessible to you. Then you will need to connect a banana jack to the end of the wire in the bedroom (strip 1/2" of the insulation off the wire). Crimp an eyelet on the wire that has an eyelet hole diameter large enough to fit over the threaded rod portion of the banana jack. Then with two nuts, tighten it onto the threaded portion of the banana jack. Heat shrink tubing to protect the open wires. Now you can connect the wrist strap plug to the banana jack. If you are worried about electrocution from lightening, you can add a 5 or 10 mA fuse with a fuse holder and splice that onto somewhere on your indoor wire.

If you have a multi-meter, you could measure your current body voltage and then see how it dramatically reduces when you are grounded. To do this, you need to connect a wire from the ground of the meter (black wire) to the ground line you just made. Set the meter to measure AC Volts, then take the red (+) wire of the meter and touch it to your skin and make note of your body voltage. Then put the wrist strap on (the metallic part of the strap should touch your inner wrist fairly snugly), and connect both the wrist strap and the ground of the meter to the ground line (don't fully insert the plug of the wrist strap into the banana jack so that you can also touch the ground of the meter to the inside of the jack at the same time). Then place the red wire of the meter against your skin and you will get the second body voltage reading which should be way less than the first reading.

Good luck!
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BRAINWAVE ENTRAINMENT

Here is another strategy that I employ everyday to keep myself calmer and have found it invaluable. It is known as brainwave entrainment. Years ago, when I first started meditating using this technology, I used the Holosync program but eventually dropped it due to financial constraints. Now I use something called Quantum Mind Power and it helps me reach a state of physical relaxation I could never otherwise reach. It has been an enormous resource for me. It is possible to get a free 15-minute sample to try it out.

Before I knew what was causing my brain to malfunction, I was living in a constant state of fear that I would descend into mental illness like others in my family had. My memory was also so impaired that I feared early senility or eventual Alzheimer's. At least I take comfort in knowing that using this kind of brainwave entrainment creates new neural pathways in my brain.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cherylin,

I haven't heard of either. Could you please discribe what Quantum Mind Power is and how it works?

And thanks for the info on grounding. It sounds kind of involved, but I may give it a try anyway.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dianne,

Here are some links to explain, in general, the effects of brainwave entrainment. To learn more about the specific Quantum Mind Power program, go to www.quantum-mind-power.com but you will have to read through a very lengthy sales letter to get any info.

Here's some general infor:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020207152124/centerpointe.com/product/holosync/index.cfm

http://web.archive.org/web/20010608092406/centerpointe.com/product/research1/index.cfm
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne,

I forgot to mention that Dr. Mercola highly recommends the following technology in terms of brainwave entrainment and I trust his judgement. The only reason I switched from this one to Quantum-Mind-Power was because my CD became scratched and unusable and QMP was available immediately as a download so I opted to get it. But the price of this is very cheap. Check out their info: here

http://www.immrama.org/brainwave/brainwave.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page