Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Allergy Elimination Techniques

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Allergy Elimination Techniques « Previous Next »

Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I was just going through some old posts from the Archives link regarding NAET (see Archives-Sharing Ideas, Suggestions and Info.-Allergy Identification and Elimination Techniques).
I did a whopping 54 NAET treatments a number of years ago (before I made the MSG connection) and found it to be tremendously helpful at the time. I am not sure if those treatments held, unfortunately, but have started another type of treatment along the same lines. It is called BIE (Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination) and, unlike NAET, you do not need to avoid the offending substance for 24 hours. It is a derivative of NAET and BioSET but apparently the results are permanent and more effective. Time will tell. I have already been treated for MSG but I will continue to avoid it like the plague even after treatment. My next step will be to be tested for sensitivity to glutamic and aspartic acids and if I test positive (I suspect I will), I will be treated for those as well. I will report back what the results are.
I am thrilled to be able to access the massive amount of helpful tips, strategies and ideas for dealing with, and ultimately overcoming, MSG poisoning found in this forum.
I am a newbie here and introduced myself yesterday (July 17/07)on the link "How I Made the MSG Connection" with my post FROM DEVASTATED TO ELATED. I have been actively searching for answers to my health issues for over 25 years, trying everything under the sun. I hope to be able to contribute to this Forum in the future like so many of you have.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing I forgot to add to my original post regarding NAET... My most powerful treatment was for being allergic to my Hypothalamus. I read somewhere on this forum today that MSG really affects that area of the brain (which is responsible for rage etc.). No wonder I want to kill someone after accidentally ingesting MSG. It's a miracle I wasn't routinely abusive to my children as they were growing up but I do have to admit that I have had times when I have had a 'meltdown' and everyone would run for cover when that happened.
Makes you wonder about those responsible for Virginia Tech and Columbine...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just remember that with MSG, we are not allergic to it...we are reacting to a drug or excitatory neurotransmitter that is destroying brain cells and more. It is a poison to our systems. It can force us to release histamine as allergens do, though, causing inflammation and so much more. I had a few treatments years ago, but I really don't know if they helped me. Only avoiding excess glutamate and all aspartame and l-cysteine has helped...along with avoiding sulfites, which I am very allergic to.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of allergies, I was told by my allergy nurse that I am the only patient they have - and they have many, whose food allergies change EVERY YEAR. I was just tested after not feeling well again, and found out that the chicken I was eating to avoid beef is what I am allergic to again. They all actually got worse. The wheat and milk, chicken, soy, apple, onion, pea, peanut, crab and celery allergies came back as did the orange. Now I have a few new ones. Eggs, oats, buckwheat, sesame seeds and corn. Well, if I had trouble losing weight before, that won't be a problem now. There will be nothing left to eat. I have been depressed all week. When will this hellish problem end? Boy am I paying my dues for working in the food industry. Occupational exposure to MSG and aspartame is the only thing I can think of to cause such a nightmare. The doctors haven't even seen this before. Anyway, I just had some grapes now its time to forage for the few safe foods I can eat. I'll post more soon - I just need a good two weeks to overhaul my kitchen and label reading skills again. :-(
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - so sorry to hear this. How did they test you this time? Do you bring in your own food for the test?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, If I'm not too nosey, what did you do in the food industry that exposed you to MSG and aspartame? Did you have to taste foods?

Anyway, I'm sorry your allergies have flared up, hopefully they will subside.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, that is just awful, I am so sorry. I always wonder if they change the way they 'process' something, or feed it before you eat it, or grow it differently. Sometimes when I eat something which I am used to eating, I suddenly will get sick from it. Of course, I never eat it again after that. But it seems they can't completely leave 'products' alone--they have to constantly mess with them, flavor them up, whatever, but they simply can not leave food alone. It is infuriating. I am still able to eat "Smart Chicken" for now. I eat more beef than ever, and it isn't because I want to. It is really the only protein I have access to which I trust, because my inlaws raise cattle and the meat is not treated in any way. But you are allergic to beef, and now eggs. I really feel for you-wish I could help. MSG really does kill.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carol,
I completely empathize with what you are going through. Perhaps if I share some of the strategies which I have utilized to keep me afloat, it would be helpful to you and others here.
I will start a new thread entitled COPING STRATEGIES WHICH KEEP ME FUNCTIONAL under 'Sharing Ideas, Suggestions and Information'.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. The support here is great. Most folks don't quite understand they way you all do. They usually test me by skin testing which seems to work well for me. Now they know me and know I need to be tested every year. Usually when I don't feel well after avoiding what I should and I start saying - what did I eat wrong NOW?? I realize it's that time of year again. They are always RIGHT on what I am positive for. I avoid those foods and I feel better. I seem to not react anymore if I avoid a food for about two years. I amlearning if I overdo those foods again when I stop reacting, I can become sensitive again. I am going to have to rotate all my foods on a four day rotation, but it's hard to do when I'm so limited. Luckily I can add beef back to my diet again - if I rotate it, but chicken, milk, and eggs are all out.
When I worked at Thomas J. Lipton in Englewood Cliffs Research Dept, I was working with aspartame and shoveling it by the pound - I was breathing it right in. The MSG was in all the foods I taste tested while there and all the products I brought home from the company store. I was inundated with both aspartame and MSG while there. I think that is what caused my pituitary tumor. Unfortunately, wheat has shown up on the test and I think I had better do some wheat free cooking - but there aren't many wheat-free recipes that don't use eggs. I found some last nite - so all is not lost, but it is darned inconvenient to bake in the middle of summer... Oh well. Back to the kitchen for me!
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - Coincidentally, I've been concerned about all the eggs and chicken I eat because I heard the more you eat them, the more you increase the likelihood of developing allergies. I don't do well with wheat either. So, I've been trying to figure out what to use as substitutes. So far, I've had to increase my diet with:
Trader Joe's frozen wild salmon (which I find very blah so I load it up with garlic, onions or some safe sauce)
Costco Australian lamb shoulder or leg (I cook a big batch outside on a cooker and then freeze pieces)
Millet
Nuts (which I grind up in my coffee mill until it is like a paste)
My health food store just started carrying sorghum, which is a grass. Has anyone here tried this yet?
Of course, there are the standard substitutes for egg when baking (but I expect you know about these already). Examples: applesauce or other pureed fruit (bananas, apricots), ground flax seed, mashed potatoes.
Re milk, is it possible that you will do OK with organic goat's milk (not ultrapasteurized) as I do? I get at Whole Foods.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nutrient value of millet and sorghum
http://www.fao.org/docrep/T0818e/T0818E0b.htm#Continue
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have eaten sorghum made by the Amish and do fine with it. I like maple syrup and can even get it at Sam's Club so that has been a plus.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I am so, so sorry. You sure have a story to tell...hope we all get to read it. I know it will help so many people. I just read an article about when it is important to buy organic produce. I am at work, or I would have the list of fruits ad vegetables that are highly sprayed...but I know that celery was one that is highly sprayed while growing....berries, especially strawberries and raspberries, peaches and nectarines were listed, too...and many of the pesticides cannot be washed off. I think that has been a problem for me this year more than any in the past. One patient came into the office a couple weeks ago and told me that she is having vertigo and stomach problems, which was interesting since I had been having them, also. Mine was stopped when I stopped eating the cherries and strawberries that had been a big part of my diet. I told her that, and her problem was resolved, too.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, That's such a shame that you were exposed to a lot of MSG and Aspartame. Horrible. I have many recipes that don't contain wheat or eggs, but I'm not sure what kind of food dishes you are looking to make....main?...dessert?...breakfast?

Deb, I had posted back on July 11 about the "dirty dozen", in part:

Quote: Eight of the dirty dozen were fruits. Over 90% of nectarines, peaches, and pears tested positive for pesticides, while nectarines, peaches, and cherries were likely to have multiple pesticides on a single sample (over 75%). Peaches and raspberries had the most pesticides on a single sample (9) with strawberries and apples close behind with 8.
Leading the dishonor roll of vegetables were celery, spinach, bell peppers, and potatoes. Celery was most likely to have multiple pesticides and had the highest percentage of samples (94%) test positive for pesticides. It almost edged out spinach for most pesticides in one sample. Spinach counted 10 pesticides with celery registering 9. Bell peppers surpassed both with 39 pesticides, the most overall.
Although 79% of potatoes were found to have pesticides and its total of 29 pesticides ranked it below celery and spinach, one of those pesticides was DDT, which was banned in the United States after December 31, 1972. Samples of spinach also contained DDT.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne, mostly I needed bread or carb recipes. It's a little tough fighting depression and being wheat allergic and still a tad rice allergic. I have sorghum flour in my kitchen and use it to make breads. It has a nice sweet taste and I found that the scone recipe on the package works really well. It is good for dessert or breakfast type breads. My main challenge is baking without eggs now. I got very good at wheat free baking - but the egg allergy just stopped me cold. My milk allergy makes me use almond meal instead of non-fat dry milk in recipes. Thank god my almond allergy went away. I just wish I could get ORGANIC potato starch and other specialty flours. It is hard enough just finding the regular ones.
Deb, I was allergic to cherries for a time, but I lost that one. I only buy cherries if they are organic. They just use too much pesticides on them. I make jam when I find a really good fresh batch of organic berries. It helps me get through the winter.
MEMorris. I think we should get together again soon. We can exchange recipes. I would definitely be interested in seeing recipes with the pureed fruits. Learning how to subsitute is key to cooking anything at all.
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol-- are you allergic to duck or peacock eggs
??http://www.agriseek.com/market/p/Fresh-Duck-Eggs.htm
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you eat natural lays potato chips

potatoes, expeller pressed sunflower oil sea salt

I react to non organic potatoes but can eat these

frozen blueberries help my carb cravings
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie, thanks, that is a great question about the eggs. I'm not sure. I live near an asian market where I can get quail eggs too. I used to be ok with turkey, duck, and quail. I wonder if I can have their eggs.

Luckily I can eat potato chips. Not a bad snack food to bring on trips.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H - Shiloh Farms has an organic potato flour. http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/shiloh-farms-m-13.html?osCsid=1f8d7f428b93d3a9d95988a597a444f5
The NY Times had an article about gluten free restaurants in NYC in the food section yesterday. Would love to see u in Morristown in August.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks MEMorris! The prices are actually really good - thanks for that link.
August would be great - I have fewer council meetings then.
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PLEASE READ THIS....I have previously posted this elsewhere...Re. NAET and BIE.
Who of you have been treated with either of these? I have got to get reief...I am avoiding all forms of preservatives...I am extremely sensitive and although, I never plan to ever consume preservatives...I need some relief from symptoms I get when ingesting natural forms...these continue to sneak up on me. Also have any of you had ALCAT tests?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy218, when you say preservatives, which ones are you talking about. Are you also avoiding MSG, which is not preservative?
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I am eating only venison/meat and organic veggies and this helps. I have been doing this for a few weeks and it helps. I CAN NOT however stop the pain in my muscles...neck and back. Physical therapy three times a week. When does the pain go away? I am not ingesting anything bad at this point.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy218, The sad thing is that it may take quite a while to get your life/health back to where you want it. It probably didn't become distressed overnight (right?) and so although the body can heal itself, try to be patient...it may take time.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy 218,

Have you eliminated gluten and casein (from dairy) as well as all sources of glutamate and aspartate? I also suggest you surf this phenomenal website http://dogtorj.com/. On the left hand side of the Home Page, click on DIET AND PAIN. Even though this is the website of a veterinarian, much of his info. is geared for humans. His explanation of gluten and why we should all avoid it is over-the-top fantastic. He was able to heal his own fibro. through dietary adjustments.

According to Dr. Sherry Rogers' book PAIN-FREE IN SIX WEEKS, eliminating all nightshades could also help tremendously for people in chronic pain. It's worth a try to see if this would help you.

Also, are you supplementing with magnesium? Up until recently, I was taking NATURAL CALM which turns out is magnesium citrate so I stopped taking it and opted for transdermal magnesium. Magnesium is needed for many bodily functions and is implicated for muscle problems. I think it could really help you. One caveat however - the liquid is greasy and burns the skin until you get used to it. http://www.puremagoil.com/

I wonder also if utilizing inclined bed therapy could help your condition. It might be worth contacting Andrew K. Fletcher and asking him if others with fibromyalgia have found it to be helpful.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page