Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Children's Health

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Children's Health « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took this from this website--it is a good one-I urge you to subscribe-it is free, and not annoying:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organicbytes.cfm

PROTECTING OUR CHILDREN'S HEALTH
OCA's "Appetite for a Change Campaign" has become one of the most visited areas of our website, which now receives over a million visitors per month. In 2006, the campaign focused on educating parents and schools about issues related to children's environmental health, including alerts on toxins in toys and schools, strategies for curbing the childhood obesity epidemic, and banning pesticides known to pose specific threats to infants and fetuses. In 2006, we saw more schools introduce organic foods, while simultaneously kicking out junk food vending machines. The soft drink industry also agreed, at least rhetorically, to remove soda pop machines from elementary schools. And the number of parents buying organic foods, with their children's health in mind, increased more than any other year in history. We look forward to expanding our Appetite for Change Campaign in 2007.
Learn more: http://www.organicconsumers.org/afc.cfm
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 11:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just got through a rather testing few days thanks to a medicine i had to give my children. The little ones got threadworm (eeeuuuw!) So obviously i had to treat that. I was given Vermox (mebendazole) for them. Thankfully just one single dose. The ingredients list on the leaflet read "also contains sucrose, methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218),propyl parahydroxybenzoate(E216). I was so happy to see no maltodextrine, no flavouring, no aspartame (yes its even in childrens medicines on occasion)
So i gave them the single dose and all was well that evening until 5am. My youngest daughter aged 3 reacted so badly to this medicine. Her speech became so unclear and garbled. She obviously thought she was talking okay as she became very frustrated as the day wore on when we just couldnt understand her. She was violent, generally disruptive and agressive.She was also very confused by things that she earlier understood...unable to make sense of puzzles she can normally do easily. Her elder sister also suffered erratic behaviour. I cant remember the last time she had such a bad reaction. She had the medicine on Friday evening and she was only back to "normal" on Monday morning.
I have just googled the medicine i gave her and on line there is a full ingredients list.I had presumed the ingredients on the leaflet was the full list! The ingredients were as follows

Sucrose
Microcrystalline cellulose and sodium carboxymethyl cellulose
Methylcellulose 15 mPa.s.
Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218)
Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216)
Sodium laurilsulfate
Banana flavour 1
Citric acid, monohydrate
Purified water

What exactly is banana flavour 1? Ive no idea.If this information had been in the medicine leaflet or on the box i would not have given it to my children. As it is i dont give any medicine unless absolutely necessary. Primarily because of the ingredients in childrens medicines. Even giving pain relief is a minefied. I cant find any syrups without a multitude of things in that will cause a reaction in my youngest child. I now use suppository pain relief for her if necessary. Unfortunately i was out of suppository ibuprofen for her and it was weekend. ( i get it on prescription) So this time we just had to ride the storm with no ibuprofen to lesson the symptoms. I guess if anything good came out of it, it is that i can post here to warn other parents to not trust the ingredients listed on medicine and to always check for a fuller list on line. And also it was a sharp reminder for me just how severe her reactions can be. How detrimental to her behaviour and developement any slip in my vigilance for her will be. She is due to start preschool in September. I am looking for a very small preschool were she can be properly supervised at meal times. It brought home to me that i just cannot risk her being given something to eat by another child.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 3:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, So sorry to hear about your children's reactions. Poor little dears. Are they doing ok now? It seems that manufacturers try to hide ingredients, making their products appear safe. That being said, wouldn't you have had to give your little ones some type of medication for the threadworms? Would there have been any safer med?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 3:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, "banana flavour 1" might be this:

DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female [POSSIBLE]. Classified
Reproductive system/toxin/male.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922995
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 8:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy. That doesnt make pretty reading. I will be writing to them to find out what it is. Should i get a reply i will let you know if that is indeed what it was.
Di, i would have had to treat her for sure. But i would have opted for the tablet.A full list of ingredients was on the chewable tablets. And while not a clean label at least i would have been forewarned and given ibuprofen before hand. The packaging on the liquid led me to believe it had just four ingredients that wouldnt cause her a problem. Im just furious that they can sell medicine without a full ingredients list. I didnt know that was legal. Apparently it is!

As for long term effect. She seems fine now and normality has been restored. But who's to say what it actually does to her little brain internally that cant be seen. I know one thing, if we had not realised this was a food issue (chemical) with our children early on, both my youngest and eldest would not be the children i have today.Of that i have no doubt.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 8:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, I was very sorry to hear this. I can understand your frustration. Please remember that you are so much more ahead of so many parents whose children react this way, and they have no clue..that would be terrible...or they give them some Ibuprofen and think all is well. Do you have any Benedryl type medication?..not the liquid. It can decrease some symptoms in some cases. Another thing that can diminish symptoms is magnesium (might have to order a powder form or take out of capsules). Giving your children lots of antioxidants before taking any meds is good. Just fresh lemon juice in water with sweetener is helpful. These are suggestions from Dr. Blaylock.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the suggestions Deb. I hadnt considered the antitoxidant approach. I will certainly try that before the second dose is given in two weeks if i cant find a better alternative to give her. Ill look into the magnesium as well. I've never seen it here in just powder form. I'll enquire with my local pharmacist as he is very good at ordering products for me. I now have my own shelf in the store room with natural soaps, toiletries, toothpastes etc.He just gets another box in when he sees an item running low :-)
Would benedryl be an antihistamine? Im not familiar with the name?
Thanks so much for the information. I feel a little more confident about the second dose i have to give her now. She is still not 100% today. A little argumentative and confused. She also stops eating. No idea why but she just has no appetite after being so badly hit.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, i think you are definately onto something with the antitoxidants. My daughter has not had a very bad reaction like that in a long time. In fact id say this is possibly the worst reaction she has had. Certainly the most prolonged. She is a very fussy eater at the dinner table. She likes to snack all day on fruit and thinks potato (in any format) is an evening meal. In the interest of trying to get her to eat full meals at meal time with the family at the table, i have cut down on her snacks so she is hungry at meal times. Of course she is three and knows her own mind. So all i have actually achieved is that she eats less fruit and still doesnt eat her meals aside from the potato!! Time to go fruit shopping, let her have her fruit snacks again (she just loves kiwis, oranges and blueberries...in fact we have yet to find a fruit she doesnt like!) and chill out a bit about the meal times. She obviously faired far better on her idea of good food than mine! :-) A lesson learned i guess.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 9:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blueberries, kiwis, and oranges are very high in antioxidants, and so are potatoes, for that matter. Sneak in some eggs or meat now and then, and she should be fine. I puree kidney or pinto beans in fruit smooties for more protein...can't taste them, as long as it's about 1/3 cup to 3 or 4 cups smoothie.I order magnesium orotate from www.beyondacentury.com, but there are other sources of powdered magnesium. I also like to have Tri-Salts from Ecological Formulas on hand. Dr. Blaylock has recommended that for years as a source for calcium, magnesium, and potassium. I take it for calcium a couple times a week, and when I feel "off"...replaces important minerals that are used up during an MSG poisoning. Just stir in water or juice and drink. It could be hidden in a smoothie, too. Yes, Benedryl is an anti-histamine. You might consider giving her some Ibuprofen before and after the next shot, but I'm not a doctor...just follow your own instincts. You know her best.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second the recommendation for lots of magnesium. I had a bad reaction the other day and took 2 magnesium glycinate (the glycine helps too) and it helped for about 3-4 hours then I took two more.

Ibuprofen is a mild glutamate blocker so we use that a lot for reactions as well. Though this time I think the magnesium worked even better.

One caution about antioxidants. I think the mild ones (food based) are great -- but watch out for detox symptoms of anything that is powerful. For example, my son couldn't handle even a sprinkle of grape seed extract or pycnogenol, both caused major detox, and many of the things that get detoxed will worsen the glutamate reaction.

Milk thistle seems be quite mild on the system and is great for helping the liver process toxins. 2-3 capsules of that have helped me immensely in situations where I'm gotten something toxic, along with dandelion and nettle if I've drunk any alcohol.

YMMV!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 12:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for all your help and information. Ive just ordered Dr Blaylocks book. I think its high time i read that book.
I do use ibuprofen before the kids shots and if they have to have meds that i know are going to cause a reaction. I got caught short this time by a deceptive label. A lesson learned.

That's a great idea to put the beans in fruit smoothies. I dont really like beans myself so may try to hide them in there for me never mind the children :-) I get my fussy eater to eat eggs by letting her have a pancake breakfast or dinner once a week. The one thing i just can't get her to eat is meat. So any proteins i can get into her by other means i do.

I had a look locally for magnesium powder and cant find any. I will look further afield in the city health store. Thanks for the link to Beyond a Century. If i have no luck here in Ireland i will see if they post overseas.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can find a safe magnesium supplement in capsules, you could remove it and sprinkle that into a drink, Ali.
Cheryla1
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 5:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is something called Daosin (a supplement) that is supposed to block histimine - it seems to help me a little but must take before consuming the food. Except for my son's b-day last night I took one bite of pizza and one bite of chicken and had instant heartburn - seems to be the particular restaurant as all the other 30 people were fine, owners of the restaurant are good friends of the family. So I ate salad and fruit but I knew I would probably react at the time I ordered. One of my symptoms is instant severe heartburn.
However, I did take one of the pills with trying some chinese food the other day - we ordered at work and I normally say no. It did give me heartburn so I brought it home for my husband who can eat anything but I noticed if I do consume some of the MSG with taking the Daosin, I don't swell like I used to.
Best thing overall is to avoid MSG in the first place, but I married into a full Italian family and we have many family parties where it is 30-45 people for children's birthdays at least once a month. Crazy.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 7:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryla it is so hard to avoid msg at family gatherings isnt it? My family take great offence when i refuse their food. They just dont get it and seem to take it as a personal hurt or insult. I get round it a lot of the time by doing a lot of the cooking. For birthday parties with friends and/or family i always offer to do a few dishes. I have three staple dishes i do. I make spanish omlettes (one wiht regular potato and one with sweet) chicken wings and a good hearty salad. I also take home made loaves of bread and some Dennys 100%natural ham. I find people are grateful for the help and dont tend to notice then when I only eat my own food when the time comes to hit the buffet!In fact my food is proving to be quite a hit and i seem to be making more and more to take places and find less and less there ready to go with it. I seem to have found my niche at parties. Im the buffet food girl! :-)
My dad suffered from heartburn for years. He would munch his way through packets of heartburn sweets all day every day. He moved to Greece a few years ago and eats the local diet and all local produce. He now no longer gets any heartburn unless he ventures into the tourist areas and eats at a restaurant there. The greek diet seems to agree with him. Practically zero processed food.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 9:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, that's very interesting about your dad and the Greek diet. A friend with MSG sensitivity traveled to China a few years ago and did well with the foods in the rural area, and got very ill in the tourist "Western Chinese style" restaurants. When she landed in the hospital with a horrible migraine, she asked the doctor why the Chinese don't get them from MSG. He laughed and said they do get them all the time. Now, years later, with the economic growth in China, people can afford processed foods. 1 in 6 Chinese children are now obese and there is a rise in many once rare conditions...diabetes, eye disorders, ADD.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 10:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive spent time in Greece with my dad and the local diet is wonderful. He lives in a small village up a mountain. The local tavernas are all family run. From what i could see they clearly use just local produce aside from the drinks. You can see the butcher arrive in the morning with a skinned goat or sheep hanging over his shoulder. He then goes around and cuts off the bits the taverna wishes to buy. Its certainly fresh meat!! They literally just select a sheep and a goat from the mountain side and slaughter it! Another guy arrives with a cage full of chickens. The fruit and veg arrive on a truck once a week in the market square. All the fruit that is eaten is from peoples back yards. My dad has lemon trees and pomegranite trees. His neighbour has mandarins. They swap and mix and match so every one has a bit of every fruit available. Its truly amazing to see. Its like stepping back in time. Of course they do have a small supermarket in the village and travel out of town to the larger stores, but the prices of groceries are so high it tends to keep people using local produce. They just dont seem to have been mesmerized by the store produce in the same way. They don't trust it and certainly aren't to reliant on it.
My daughter has a Chinese friend. They run the local restaurant. I know from her family that they don't eat the food in the restaurant. Most is created for us the Westerner and doesnt reflect their home diet. Its interesting that China is now having the same problems. I always wondered why the Chinese didnt seem affected by MSG. I recently saw an interview with Dr Blaylock and he explained that the rest of their diet was so high in fresh food,fruit and vegetables that they coped better with it. Where as we westerners eat processed meal after processed meal....
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 1:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine was in China for work and texted me that there was MSG on the restaurant table where we would see salt and pepper.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 9:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My same friend said that in the rural areas, she watched a woman in a food stand pour hot water over some dry seaweed and let it steep for just a minute or two. Then she sprinkled a small amount of the "tea" into the pan she was frying a meal in: glutamate, but not from a factory and probably not in free form. Sad to hear it's on restaurant tables, Roy...restaurants in the big cities?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 9:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A., I asked my friend where he stayed when he was in China and he said "the tourist areas of Hong Kong and Shanghai". I suppose he was dining in those same areas.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, that's where the MSG use is so much higher.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

B 12 and your eyesight. Was looking for a good B12 supplement online, and under one product, the description said that B12 helps protect the eyes from the damaging effects of glutamate.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 4:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cyanocobalamin, vitamin B12, depresses glutamate release:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19073169
anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 6:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you found a safe B12 supplement? I've been searching and all I am able to find have some kind of fruit flavoring, of which I seem to be overly sensitive to using.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 7:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taurine is good for the eyes and used up to counteract glutamate as well.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 2:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do other nutrients interact with vitamin B12?

Vitamin B6 is required for proper absorption of vitamin B12, and deficiency of vitamin B6 has been shown to impair B12 absorption in animal studies. Conversion of vitamin B12 from its non-active into its biologically active form requires the presence of vitamin E. Individuals at risk for vitamin E deficiency may show signs of vitamin B12 deficiency as well. Contrary to research from the mid 1970s, supplemental doses of vitamin C above the 500 milligram level do not appear to compromise B12 function. Excessive intake of folic acid can mask B-12 deficiencies, and individuals at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency who are also taking folic acid in supplement form should consult with their healthcare practitioner.

What foods provide vitamin B12?

Since vitamin B12 cannot be made by any animals or plants, the B12 content of animals and plants depends on their ability to store the vitamin and their relationship to microorganisms (like bacteria in the soil). Because of their greater ability to store vitamin B12, animals contain more of the vitamin than plants. Excellent sources of vitamin B12 are therefore limited to animal foods. These foods include snapper and calf's liver. Very good sources of vitamin B12 include venison, shrimp, scallops, and salmon. Within the plant world, sea plants (like kelp), algaes (like blue-green algae), yeasts (like brewer's yeast), and fermented plant foods (like tempeh, miso, or tofu) are the most commonly consumed food sources of vitamin B12, although none of these plant foods can be counted on to be a consistently excellent or very good source of the vitamin.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page