Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Requesting internet magazines help

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Requesting internet magazines help « Previous Next »

Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just sent a letter to WebMD requesting them to be totally truthful about MSG and all excitotoxins so that their readers can make a truly informed desicion about whether or not to avoid them. I tried to make my case as briefly as possible, while still including many facts. I also listed several websites, including this one, and several books so that they may do their own research. Hopefully, if we all keep trying to spread the truth, it will come out sooner than later.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are wonderful, Dianne! We need more people like you to get active with this issue, and what you are doing is something we all should be doing more of. Thanks!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe because most of this knowledge is new and fresh to me I find myself compulsive, almost obsessive, lately with wanting to inform everyone about the ill effects of these neurotoxins. It’s hard to just sit by and do nothing so I've begun writing to whomever I think might be able to pass on the information to a larger audience. Today I tried to write to Madeline Fernstrom, a weight reduction expert as seen on the Today show this morning, but the site was having technical difficulties. I wanted her to inform her listeners that their weight problems could be due to MSG or other excitotoxins.

I don't know if I am composing my comments to politicians, online magazines, and others with the utmost of eloquence or if the content includes everything needed to be the most persuasive - so I would love to have some suggestions from everyone regarding crucial, persuasive, attention-grabbing content. Please everyone - help me out. Maybe if we can get a basic informational letter together (one that could be built upon or tweaked for each different recipient) it will be easier for more people to make an effort to also write letters.

Thanks, Deb, for your support to all of us who so dearly need it. And thanks to everyone else on this discussion board for their support also. I'm sure some of you have put in many, many hours of research....without you dear folks we'd be still be suffering and scratching our heads and maybe thinking we were CRAZY.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne,
That is an absolutely GREAT idea--to share a letter which we could send out. The first place I think we should send it is to:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_2880.cfm

Why don't you post your letter and we can all add some comments. I am not good at writing to people-it is hard to be brief and still make the points. I have written even to Dr. Manny on CBS tv. Not one time has anyone acknowledged my letters.

What do you think?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would love to share my letter for everyone to make corrections on - I am working on it - should be ready tomorrow.

The congressman I wrote to finally acknowledged my letter, but his response was only about genetically engineered food - he didn't get it!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a revised version of a letter I have sent out. I welcome all criticism. The goal is to come up with the most factual, persuasive letter - so the more comments the better.

I am writing you in hopes of gaining your help in a very important issue, good health. I feel it’s an issue we all care about, and it begins at home with healthy foods.

Wholesome foods without any additives should be easy to obtain, but in actuality this is not the case anymore. A neurotoxin called “monosodium glutamate” (MSG) is entering our food supply in enormous numbers, causing horrible adverse reactions. Although MSG is a man-made salt of glutamic acid, processed “free glutamic acid”, which I will refer to as MSG from now on, is present in over 50 food ingredients and will cause the same reactions. It is being added to almost all packaged food products, poultry and, most disturbingly, it is being sprayed on our fruits, vegetables and nuts prior to harvest under the name of Auxigro1, therefore making MSG almost unavoidable. I find this outrageous.

Although the FDA claims MSG to be safe, many believe the FDA is being persuaded not to acknowledge its toxicity and detriment to society. My own sensitivity is increasing and each time I ingest it, I, along with a multitude of others, develop terrible symptoms.

Other symptoms include but are not limited to: migraine headaches, hyperactivity (especially in children), attention deficit disorder, bi-polar, anxiety or panic attacks, tinnitus, meiniere’s disease, balance problems, asthma symptoms, obesity, mitral valve prolapse, atrial fibrillation, fluctuating blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, angina, heart palpitations, atrial fibrillation, tendonitis and joint pain, TMJ, arthritic-like pain, muscle aches, flu-like symptoms, depression, dizziness, panic attacks, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gas, gastro esophageal reflux, colitis, seizures, tremors, loss of memory, pressure behind eyes, optic neuritis, cartilage and connective tissue damage, gall bladder or gall bladder like problems, hematuria syndrome, gout-like condition (usually knees), kidney pain, loin pain, numbness or paralysis, swelling of hands, feet and face, and are suspected of contributing to diabetes, glaucoma, and neurological diseases: ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Parkinson's, M.S., and Alzheimer’s.

(If the following is true I would like to make reference to it in the above symptoms, but I haven’t found it on the nih website – could use some help please) The National Institutes of Health recognize glutamic acid as being associated with addiction, stroke, epilepsy, degenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and ALS, brain trauma, neuropathic pain, schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression.

A simplified explanation for the wide variety of symptoms is that MSG, a neurotoxin, will disturb the brain in its weakest area and separate parts of the brain govern different body functions.

MSG can be found in the following ingredients: autolyzed yeast, calcium caseinate, corn oil, gelatin, glutamate, glutamic acid, glutavene, glutacyl, gourmet powder, HVP, hydrolyzed (any) protein, hydrolyzed oat flour, kombu extract, monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, natrium glutamate, plant protein extract, RL-so, sodium caseinate, textured protein, textured protein (including TVP), vetsin, yeast extract, yeast food, yeast nutrient and zest.

Additionally, these additives usually contain MSG or create it in processing: bouillon, broth, carrageenan, citric acid, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, enzymes (any kind), fermented (anything), flavors/flavoring, low fat and no fat milk products often include milk solids that contain MSG, malted barley, malt extract or flavoring, natural flavors/flavoring, natural beef, pork or chicken flavoring, pectin, protease/enzymes, protein fortified (any), soy protein, protein isolate or concentrate, soy sauce, stock, seasonings, spices, vegetable broth or protein, whey protein, protein isolate or concentrate, ultra pasteurized foods.

L-cysteine & aspartame, the artificial sweetener, are also neurotoxins, but I’ll leave that discussion for another time.

Consider this:
· 30 to 40% or more of our population is experiencing the harmful effects of what the medical society has called the "MSG Symptom Complex" and many of us don't know it.
· Most of us ingest much more MSG than we realize.
· MSG - while used to enhance food flavors, it is also a neurotoxin that has degenerative and deadly effects on the brain and nervous system. Neurons are over stimulated to the point of exhaustion and cell death. Most susceptible are the young and elderly.

In light of the fact that the amount of MSG added to our processed foods has doubled every 10 years since 1945 it isn’t any wonder why we are seeing an increase in:
· Heart maladies – more than 70 million Americans have one or more forms of cardiovascular disease and causing 43% of all deaths.
· Alzheimer’s disease – four million people are afflicted and it ranks third in cost after cancer and heart disease.
· Headaches/migraines - 74% increase in these chronic conditions between 1980–1990.
· Asthma – since the mid-eighties shows a 100% increase in the death rate among children and seniors. Incidence has increased 600% in the last 10 years and the FDA recognizes that “uncontrollable asthma” can be caused by MSG.
· Tumors – an 88% increase since 1982.
· Birth defects and reproduction disorders – MSG is a known “mutagen” and causes damage to intellectual development and reproduction.
· Neurological/emotional disorders – lab studies show devastating effects, i.e. dyslexia, autism, ADD, schizophrenia, rage, panic attacks, seizures, paranoia and more. Humans are 5 times more sensitive to MSG than rats used in tests.
· Obesity – MSG triggers an insulin/adrenalin/fat storage/food craving response. Scientists feed glutamate to lab animals to induce obesity.
· Fibromyalgia – a growing epidemic. Patients who eliminated MSG and aspartame (another excitotoxin) during a 2001 University of Florida study reported complete or near complete relief of symptoms.
· Parkinson’s, ALS, MS – are all neurogenic diseases showing brain/nerve cell damage.

I realize correlation is not causation, but when you look at the broad picture and read hundreds of anecdotes2 of people who’s symptoms have been alleviated when they avoid MSG it becomes clear that we need to do something to stop this great injustice being done to Americans or at the very least provide the truth to everyone.

There is so much more information on the subject than what I’ve outlined here, so I would like to refer you to the following web sites and books for your own research: www.msgmyth.com, www.truthinlabeling.org, www.msgtruth.com and "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills" by Dr. Russell Blaylock, "Battling the MSG Myth" by D. Anglesey, and "In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex" by Dr. G. Schwartz, Toxicologist.

I ask you to please promote truthful education about MSG and to do what you can to stop this outrageous attack on our society. Thank you.

1. The most prominent use of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in fertilizer, fungicide, pesticide, and plant growth enhancer products is called AuxiGro WP Plant Metabolic Primer (AuxiGro). According to the label, AuxiGro contains 29.2% "L-glutamic acid" as an active ingredient.

2. Go to www.msgmyth.com, scroll down on the left and click on “Discussion Board”.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne,

Thank you so much for posting this letter. I will use it for sure!!! You have spent a great deal of time and consideration in composing it, and I can't fault it at all. I would be interested to hear from Deb or Carol so far as an evaluation, but I think it is very well written.
Now we need to find people to send it to. I know that the networks as a whole probably would not care about this matter, but I wonder if we sent it to journalist's mailboxes on the internet, if they might read it personally and decide to investigate this.
In my opinion, we should send to:

60 Minutes (this is the 60 min page-I can't determine how to email-need help- http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml)

20-20 (John Stossel JohnStossel@abcnews.com)<johnstossel@abcnews.com>

CBN-700 Club (Pat Robertson, he has been expousing the detriment of Aspartame for years-I can't see where to email him directly-I found this to use as a suggestion for a story:
http://www.cbn.com/contact/feedback-700club.aspx?WT.svl=menu)

Dateline (this links to the Consumer page, and you can click and send a consumer question:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3040209/)

The View (here you can email to Joy, Barbara or Elisabeth:http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index.html

Bill O'Reilly (oreilly@foxnews.com He always says he is "looking out for the folks" so let's see?)

Oprah:
Gayle King (http://www2.oprah.com/xm/email/xm_email_gking.jhtml)
Bob Greene:
(http://www2.oprah.com/xm/email/xm_email_bgreene.jhtml)
Dr. Oz
(http://www2.oprah.com/xm/email/xm_email_moz.jhtml)
I can't find a direct link on where to email Oprah-need help.

Montel Williams (you have to register to email it looks like:
(http://www.montelshow.com/about/mail/)

Dr. Phil's wife Robin: (maybe she would care about health)
(http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=9275)

Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) I can't find the place to email him, need help.

Perhaps to some cooking shows? I don't watch them so maybe someone could make suggestions about this.

So what do the rest of you think? Do you think we can all come up with letters and send them at the same time? Maybe the same week, if not the same day?

Again Dianne, thanks!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent, Diane! I'm not aware of the findings of the National Institute of Health, either. If anyone one else wants to share letters they have written in the past, please do! It's best to be brief and to the point....okay to be upset, but not hysterical....got those tips from a journalist friend...also, make sure you can back any statement. That's sometimes difficult with some things we claim since tests on humans are inept and inadequate...and sometimes bogus. Another way to approach publication can be to send your story and information to the health editor of any magazine. Some women's magazines regularly print personal health stories. If you read a story that contains a reference to MSG causing some reaction, such as migraine headaces, write the editor and thank him/her for the article and state why it's so important to you and others. They may print your letter in the editorial page. I've had that done in Women's Day a few years back. Over 600 people responded to it by calling and thanking our NOMSG hotline, which I included in the letter. Most said their doctors had never mentioned MSG as a cause for Migraine.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie and Deb A.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the letter should be shortened? I'll have to go back and find my source for the NIH reference. Is there anything that sounds unfounded or wrong, or that should be revised? Deb, what was your letter like? Can you share that with us?

Both of you offer great suggestions as to whom to send letters to. Thanks a million.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dianne,
Let me know if you are going to write any of those people and I will send a letter at the same time also. Thanks.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,
Didn't have time today to look into sending any letters - will hopefully have time tomorrow. Will let you know who I'm sending to. What about you?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't sent any letters yet, but I would like to mail to the people I mentioned above. Please let me know if you are going to change your letter around. Thanks. Would anyone else want to write to these places?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diane, the letter is wonderful! I was not referring to it when I mentioned making it short and to the point. Short and to the point is especially important when writing to an editor regarding a letter that was published. As for my letter, I think it was in the September 1997 issue. I will have to do a bit of a search and see if I still have a copy of it to share here. Keep up the good work! :-)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,

I have made some changes - here is the latest version: I did personalize it by mentioning my own symptoms at the end of the 3rd paragraph when I sent it to Joy, Barbara and Elisabeth on The View. Will try to send to others too - will advise.

I am writing you in hopes of gaining your help in a very important issue, good health. I feel it’s an issue we all care about, and it begins at home with healthy foods.

Wholesome foods without any additives should be easy to obtain, but in actuality this is not the case anymore. A neurotoxin called “monosodium glutamate” (MSG) is entering our food supply in enormous numbers, causing horrible adverse reactions. MSG (the harmful agent being “free glutamic acid”) is a man-made salt of glutamic acid and is present in over 50 food ingredients/additives. It is being added to almost all packaged food products, poultry and, most disturbingly, it is being sprayed on our fruits, vegetables and nuts prior to harvest under the name of Auxigro1, therefore making MSG almost unavoidable. I find this outrageous.

Although the FDA claims MSG to be safe, many believe the FDA is being persuaded not to acknowledge its toxicity and detriment to society. My own sensitivity is increasing and each time I ingest it, I, along with a multitude of others, develop terrible symptoms.

Other symptoms include but are not limited to: migraine headaches, obesity, hyperactivity (especially in children), attention deficit disorder, bi-polar, anxiety or panic attacks, tinnitus, meiniere’s disease, balance problems, asthma symptoms, mitral valve prolapse, atrial fibrillation, rapid heartbeat, angina, joint pain, TMJ, flu-like symptoms, depression, dizziness, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gas, colitis, seizures, tremors, loss of memory, optic neuritis, numbness or paralysis, and swelling of hands, feet and face. MSG is also suspected of contributing to diabetes, glaucoma, and neurological diseases: ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Parkinson's, M.S., and Alzheimer’s.

A simplified explanation for the wide variety of symptoms is that MSG, an excitotoxin and neurotoxin, will disturb the brain in its weakest area and separate parts of the brain govern different body functions, just as there are a variety of side-effects to medications.

MSG can be found in the following ingredients: autolyzed yeast, calcium caseinate, gelatin, glutamate, glutamic acid, glutavene, glutacyl, gourmet powder, HVP, hydrolyzed (any) protein, hydrolyzed oat flour, kombu extract, monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, natrium glutamate, plant protein extract, RL-so, sodium caseinate, textured protein, textured protein (including TVP), vetsin, yeast extract, yeast food, yeast nutrient and zest.

Additionally, these additives usually contain MSG or create it in processing: bouillon, broth, carrageenan, citric acid, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, enzymes (any kind), fermented (anything), flavors/flavoring, low fat and no fat milk products often include milk solids that contain MSG, malted barley, malt extract or flavoring, natural flavors/flavoring, natural beef, pork or chicken flavoring, pectin, protease/enzymes, protein fortified (any), soy protein, protein isolate or concentrate, soy sauce, stock, seasonings, spices, vegetable broth or protein, whey protein, protein isolate or concentrate, ultra pasteurized foods.

L-cysteine & aspartame, the artificial sweetener, are also neurotoxins, but I’ll leave that discussion for another time.

Consider this:
· 30 to 40% or more of our population is experiencing the harmful effects of what the medical society has called the "MSG Symptom Complex" and many of us don't know it.
· Most of us ingest much more MSG than we realize.
· MSG - while used to enhance food flavors, it is also a neurotoxin that has degenerative and deadly effects on the brain and nervous system. Neurons are over stimulated to the point of exhaustion and cell death. Most susceptible are the young and elderly.

In light of the fact that the amount of MSG added to our processed foods has doubled every 10 years since 1945 it isn’t any wonder why we are seeing an increase in:
· Heart maladies – more than 70 million Americans have one or more forms of cardiovascular disease and causing 43% of all deaths.
· Alzheimer’s disease – four million people are afflicted and it ranks third in cost after cancer and heart disease.
· Headaches/migraines - 74% increase in these chronic conditions between 1980–1990.
· Asthma – since the mid-eighties shows a 100% increase in the death rate among children and seniors. Incidence has increased 600% in the last 10 years and the FDA recognizes that “uncontrollable asthma” can be caused by MSG.
· Tumors – an 88% increase since 1982.
· Birth defects and reproduction disorders – MSG is a known “mutagen” and causes damage to intellectual development and reproduction.
· Neurological/emotional disorders – lab studies show devastating effects, i.e. dyslexia, autism, ADD, schizophrenia, rage, panic attacks, seizures, paranoia and more. Humans are 5 times more sensitive to MSG than rats used in tests.
· Obesity – MSG triggers an insulin/adrenalin/fat storage/food craving response. Scientists feed glutamate to lab animals to induce obesity.
· Fibromyalgia – a growing epidemic. Patients who eliminated MSG and aspartame (another excitotoxin) during a 2001 University of Florida study reported complete or near complete relief of symptoms.
· Parkinson’s, ALS, MS – are all neurogenic diseases showing brain/nerve cell damage.

I realize correlation is not causation, but when you look at the broad picture and read hundreds of anecdotes2 of people who’s symptoms have been alleviated when they avoid MSG it becomes clear that we need to do something to stop this great injustice being done to Americans or at the very least provide the truth to everyone.

There is so much more information on the subject than what I’ve outlined here, so I would like to refer you to the following web sites and books for your own research: www.msgmyth.com, www.truthinlabeling.org, www.msgtruth.com and "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills" by Dr. Russell Blaylock, "Battling the MSG Myth" by D. Anglesey, and "In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex" by Dr. G. Schwartz, Toxicologist.

I ask you to please promote truthful education about MSG and to do what you can to stop this outrageous attack on our society. Thank you.

1. The most prominent use of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in fertilizer, fungicide, pesticide, and plant growth enhancer products is called AuxiGro WP Plant Metabolic Primer (AuxiGro). According to the label, AuxiGro contains 29.2% "L-glutamic acid" as an active ingredient.

2. Go to www.msgmyth.com, scroll down on the left and click on “Discussion Board”.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie I also sent letters to Gayle, Dr. OZ and B. Green of Oprah - and to John Stossel of ABC....and posted on his message board
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne,
I will do this later today. Thanks so much!!!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've also posted on 2 drweil.com boards. The problem with posts is that sometimes you are character limited and have to cut it way down, but you have to revise it anyway so it appears applicable to the board. So it takes quite a bit of time - but well worth it if only one person takes the time to seek the truth.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,

I posted 3 messages (on different boards) at ivillage.com and have had 3 positive replies so far, so I responded to them.

By the way, how are you feeling these days?
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,
I am submitting letter, and when I got to Gayle King I realized that sending a letter to her puts you at 'risk' for a possible phone call from her. I don't feel well enough voiced in MSG to be put on the spot explaining. So I am hoping you will submit the letter. Just follow the link above, you then fill in some info and send the letter. It does fit in the 2,000 word format. Thank you!
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have submitted the letter, with my own personalizations, to most of the places above. The Dateline letter was returned to me as not deliverable. I am hoping one of these people will pick up this story. Dianne, I was gone for a couple days, sorry I didn't get back to your question. I am feeling okay, as long as I don't get an accidental poisoning. I just have to take food with me wherever I go. I know we all have to do this. There is no safe restaurant, and basically no safe food. Very discouraging, but it is easier to handle that fact when you are not in the midst of a reaction! Thanks for asking. How about you?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,

Just a note re: sending letters to the 3 at Oprah, it's a 2000 character limit (not 2000 word), so you really have to scale it down. It was hard to cut out so much, but I did it.

I am glad to hear you were able to get some letters out also. I continue to post on boards and send out letters. Hopefully, as time goes by more and more people will see the light.

The other day I saw on the news that Kentucky Fried Chicken (I think) was eliminating trans-fat from it's food. When asked what prompted this decision now, someone said it was because the lawyers "were circling". I guess that's what it takes - the fear of a law suit hitting their wallets....money the great motivator.

We NON-MSGERS have to get enough people to make enough of a stir to get enough articles to get enough studies to get enough people to bring law suits to get change.

I'm doing pretty good, thanks. The best I've been in 4 months. I am going to friends for dinner tonight (the first time in months). I took Deb's and MEMorrisNJ's advise about advising my hostess of my strict diet and it looks like it will go very well. Thanks again you two.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, guys, I haven't had time to read all the postings for the last two weeks. I'm back, but it's been crazy - I just won the election to my town council - by a landslide. So, I will answer emails and postings this week - promise. I have to catch up with work today and tomorrow first. My book is going to have a heck of an ending. This past Sunday, I met Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson and Bob Menendez, and then on Tuesday, I won the council election. I actually need to finish that book before I get sworn in in January. But I really plan on catching back up with the MSG stuff. In one of the major newspaper articles about me - it mentions the msgtruth.org website. That is the thing I am most proud of.....
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That is wonderful news, Carol! We are so proud of you. Remember what I told you years ago? "I expect great things from you". I'm sure you are exhausted, but exhilarated from all this. I wish you would email me one of the news articles about you. I am so excited for the cause. I will be 60 in March and though I feel great, I have had moments when I have wondered about people taking up the gauntlet along with us. Mike and I felt so alone when we started our site and then this discussion board, but now look what's going on! So many of you are doing such good things to keep this momentum going. I am very optimistic and believe with all my heart that one day we will get this terrible scandal uncovered....and much needed answers will be discovered. We should all be very proud of the work we are doing...from simple things like talking to people and informing doctors, teachers and friends, emailing related sites, to writing books, magazine articles, and running for office! Don't be afraid thinking you don't know enough about MSG to talk about it. Arm yourself by reading the books available and reading archives of info here and on other MSG sites. Mike and I had to basically teach ourselves everything from the little info that was available 11 years ago. We are no different from any of you. When I did my first radio show, I was terrified and sure I didn't know enough. Sure, I wasn't Dr. Blaylock, but I had my own story to share and it was true and that made all the difference. Thanks to all of you for helping to fight this battle!
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Deb,

Here's a story about how I got involved in politics that was posted on Howard Dean's Blog for America this summer but is also making its way around the blogs: http://hannah.webserver.smith-family.com:8080/archive/001176.html

Here are the final results from the election:
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MDcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTY3MDAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

I guess I want you all to know that it is easier to get involved in government than you think. Most people think someone else will do it - leaving only a few folks to do the work. So - long story short... I got involved only three (3) years ago and now am on first name basis with my elected state legislators and have spoken to Congressional Candidates and a former President. because I simply showed up.....

After this week - anything is possible......Don't give up hope. My book is almost done...... You know me by now. I got a lot to say :-)
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol,
Many congratulations on your successful election. I echo what Deb just said. That is wonderful!!! Now, to be selfish, I have often thought that if anyone could get the message to the people, Clinton could. He is the perfect person, in the perfect place-because of his work with childhood obesity. Is there any way to get his attention and his side about this? Sorry to be selfish, just had to ask. That is wonderful that you got to meet all those people. And little do they know, they just met a best selling author :-)
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lisa Marie,

I am always thinking about how to bring the topic up when I have a chance. I was able to talk to my congressional candidate about this - unfortunately he didn't win. I hope to address this more with other legislators and to also address it in my own town. I didn't have much time to speak to Clinton as it was crazy at the time. I may have more luck addressing this at the state level than higher at the moment, but with a Democratic Congress - we will have MUCH better luck after January.
Here is the article that mentions MSGTruth.org:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzJmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MDEzNzM4
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations, Carol - I know a leader when I see one!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H,

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Although I haven't had the extensive interaction many of you have enjoyed on this site, I can still feel the endearing vibes you all send out. I am so proud and impressed with all of you....who keep trying to make things right, not just for yourselves, but for all. Carol, when you run for higher office, let me know, I'll come and volunteer to help you campaign.

P.S. I loved the articles and blog
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a response, to one of my posts on another site, part of which says

"One line of your post has me puzzled: you mentioned L-cysteine as a neurotoxin. I thought this was an antioxidant amino acid, helpful in boosting liver and lung function??? I would appreciate it if you could please clarify this."

Can someone please help me with an explanation to her.

Thanks.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne, I am sure Deb will help you out with this, as I can't. I have heard NOTHING from any of the letter I have written. So so discouraging.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 5:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Marie,

I have had quite a few replies to my posts, a couple positive, some astounded, some very skeptical. I'm trying to keep the dialog open.

The only reply I had to a letter (other than a form thank you) was from a congressman, which was also a long form reply - and I think I already stated that "he didn't get it". Or maybe he got it but didn't have a form reply in the "excitoxins" category. He got re-elected, so I'm going to write him again now that he's not so busy with campaigning.

It is discouraging not to get immediate positive feedback, but sometimes what a new idea does is put that little seed in someone's mind, then the next time they hear the same thing or have a good long chance to think about it, they will be more accepting to the idea. I know I cannot stop trying to inform people and, hopefully, as time goes by I will get better at it.

Don't give up now :-)
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I will never give up. Was in Trader Joe's in St. Louis on Thursday. Bought something and the girl ringing me up asked me about it. Told her I can't have MSG. She said, "None of our foods have MSG in them." I laughed out loud. I said, "No, you are under the illusion that the foods here in Trader Joe's have no MSG. Do you know that MSG has 80 other names, including autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein? She looked at me flabbergasted. I said, "I can shop here, but I must be very careful and read all the labels." Then I said, "If you are interested, google MSG by 80 other names." She said she would. Who knows, maybe she will......
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A or anyone - can you please help me out with an explanation for l-cysteine (see my 11/10/06 post, a little further up this page). I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what to tell her. Thanks much.

Just an aside: I was looking for a muffin recipe yesterday and spotted a batch of cookbooks that I hadn't seen in years. Two were Campbell soup/packaged products cook books and another came with a Sunbeam frypan. I browsed through them and had to gasp when I saw saw "1/8 tsp. monosodium glutamate" as an ingredient for an entree. I promptly through them all out.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read an article on an msnbc website entitled "Exposure to chemicals may harm young brains".

This is the website:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15618676/

I would love to have all of you knowledgeable people click on "Discuss: Should more be done to protect babies from toxic chemicals?" in the middle of the article and post something about excitoxins.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dianne, I have seen vitamin supplements that include glutamic acid on the label. Since it is an amino acid, and people are "protein crazy", it would not surprise me to see l-cysteine in supplements. I have read in vitamin brochures that these amino acids are touted for helping older people's brain function better. Leave it to a vitamin company to do just enough research to learn that glutamate is a neurotransmitter and then come to the conclusion that by adding it to a supplement, we can "boost" our brain's retention ability and health. He may have also meant Lysine.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, thanks for sharing the articles....I couldn't help but grin like an idiot while reading about you! :-)
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some excellent references re MSG and aspartame: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.nutrition/browse_thread/thread/d10f8fd989c59a8f/6d4297fcfd331b2e?q=monosodium+glutamate&rnum=3#6d4297fcfd331b2e
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent is right! Those studies in the U.K. are making a huge difference there....when I brought a copy of the press release about the Liverpool University study linking MSG, aspartame to autism to my doctor, he said he had never heard of the study. Look what the U.K. is doing now to change its food...we need the same thing here!
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We certainly do. As if things aren't bad enough, did you see this article in the Washington Post from Sunday? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/19/AR2007051901273.html
Everyone should read the entire article. (Its a 3 web site article so you have to click at bottom to see entire article). Here's some quotes I found especially interesting:

.....These were among the 107 food imports from China that the Food and Drug Administration detained at U.S. ports just last month, agency documents reveal, along with more than 1,000 shipments of tainted Chinese dietary supplements, toxic Chinese cosmetics and counterfeit Chinese medicines. For years, U.S. inspection records show, China has flooded the United States with foods unfit for human consumption. And for years, FDA inspectors have simply returned to Chinese importers the small portion of those products they caught -- many of which turned up at U.S. borders again, making a second or third attempt at entry.

.....China controls 80 percent of the world's production of ascorbic acid, for example, a valuable preservative that is ubiquitous in processed and other foods. Only one producer remains in the United States, Hubbard said.

....But that has not stopped Chinese meat exporters. In the past year, USDA teams have seized hundreds of thousands of pounds of prohibited poultry products from China and other Asian countries, Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns announced in March. Some were shipped in crates labeled "dried lily flower," "prune slices" and "vegetables," according to news reports. It is unclear how much of the illegal meat slipped in undetected.

.....John C. Bailar III, a University of Chicago professor emeritus who chaired a 2003 National Academies committee that recommended major changes in the U.S. food safety system -- which have gone largely unheeded -- said he has become increasingly concerned that corporations and the federal government seem willing to put the interests of business "above the public welfare."
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Washington Post article was most disturbing. All the more reason to read labels, buy organic, cross your fingers and pray... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page