Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Molasses Question

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Molasses Question « Previous Next »

Judith
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have searched the archives and not found anything specifically about this. Has anyone figured out the difference between the varieties of molasses available? I only use it in baking a couple of family favorites, but have distinctly noticed a difference between "fancy" molasses and "cooking" molasses, the latter of which is a combination of fancy and blackstrap. Processing is often the killer for us, but then there is the decision "more natural MSG" vs "more processing" and are they the same thing in this instance. I discovered that I consistently have issues with the fancy molasses yet the cooking variety does not bother me. Would blackstrap molasses be the least hard on our systems or not? I know many on the list can't tolerate it in any form.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only use unsulphured varieties of both regular and blackstrap and have been fine with both. Perhaps it is an issue of overprocessing or of sulfite amount present. All molasses is rich in natural glutamate, and perhaps the amount varies with different molasses products or with the processes used.
Judith
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure I have seen unsuphured as a choice here in Canada but I will take another look at the health food store. Overall though, things are improving. A year ago I could not find any white sugar made from cane, and now suddenly it is everywhere. We are in the beet belt here, and about as far from sugar cane as we can be. I am ecstatic about any improvement in options!
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansst du mir ein Speisekarte zeigen ?jbs

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page