Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Granola bars and big macs

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Ideas, Suggestions, and Information » Granola bars and big macs « Previous Next »

Nancy
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few weeks ago I ate a granola bar and my lip swelled up. Last night I ate a Big Mac and it swelled up on the other side of my mouth. Is this related to MSG? Any idea from anyone what the common indredient might be to cause this?
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES!!!!! MSG is found in many hidden forms in granola bars and in most fast foods. You can post the list of ingredients in the granola bars, if you have the box, and we can indicate which ones contain free glutamate, the harmful part of MSG. MSG is in the ketchup, mustard, pickles, sauce, cheese, bun, and sometimes even added to ground beef patties.
Carol H
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In a Big Mac, the most probable source is the Big Mac sauce which according to the McDonalds ingredient list from September 2004 contains hydrolyzed corn wheat and soy protein. The Big Mac does not contain straight MSG but does contain the above free glutamate containing ingredients. That's why a plain McD's burger is safer than a Big Mac. Avoid any product from McD's containing chicken or sausage however. These contain straight MSG as well as free glutamate containing ingredients. At least McD's does allow us to know what is in the food. Just check the latest list from McD's when you are there, just in case they change their recipes. They seem to be at least making some efforts to keep us informed.
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a newspaper article about Mike and I and what we do appeared, I got a call from MacDonald's headquarters. The article began (not my words, but the journalist's), "You'll never catch Debby Anglesey eating a Big Mac..." They asked if they could send a local rep to talk to me, and I obliged...hoping there would be no law suit!! Anyway, he came and we discussed MSG and I educated him as best I could, after he challenged me about their adding MSG to most of their items. I told him that I would get one of their ingredients disclosure lists from one of their restaurants, and that I would circle for him the MSG and glutamate containing additives in each item. I gave him a book to read in the meantime. A week later, he came again, and I handed him the pamphlet and as he saw the pages filled with red circles, he chuckled. He said he enjoyed the book and bought one for his mother and sister, who had symptoms. He told me that he would send the information to headquarters and if it was true, he would pursue this and try to get some changes made. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, I think. I never heard a thing. I was relieved and grateful that he was a very intelligent and open minded man.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page