Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Panera Bread response to MSG question.

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Panera Bread response to MSG question. « Previous Next »

patrick
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for contacting Panera Bread. The only product to which we add monosodium glutamate (MSG) is our Greek Salad Dressing. When MSG is
added to food to enhance flavor, it must be declared on labels and/or ingredients lists.

Many consumers often equate all "free glutamate" products with MSG, but MSG is only one of several forms of glutamate - a building block of
proteins. Free glutamate occurs naturally in many foods, such as meat, milk, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and tomatoes. It is also an inherent
component of hydrolyzed protein products such as soy sauce and autolyzed yeast extracts. These ingredients are declared on labels and ingredients lists by their common or usual names.
The safety of monosodium glutamate in levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing has been confirmed in study and after study.
However, some individuals with sensitivity to MSG may have an uncomfortable reaction after consuming large doses, particularly on an empty
stomach. Recent studies have shown that individuals with sensitivity to MSG may also be sensitive to autolyzed yeast extracts.

On our website, we provide complete ingredients for all of our menu items. If you are sensitive to monosodium glutamate or to products
containing free glutamate, please check our ingredients lists. Each bakery-café should also have an Ingredients Manual on site, which you may view upon request.

Thank you again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and
value your comments.
Sincerely,
Alice
Customer Comment Coordinator
patrick
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another response after asking her about the "natural flavorings" in their soups.

I realize this might not go anywhere..but at most I put a bug in someones ear.
-----
Dear Patrick,
I gave you the information I have available on MSG, but because of your
concerns, I am forwarding your inquiry about natural flavorings to our
nutrition department for more information. Please note that this is a
very busy department, so it make take a little time for me to get back
to you with their response.
Sincerely,
Alice
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Descriptions of pubs their atmosphereswmq

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page