Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What we are up against..Read this!

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » What we are up against..Read this! « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received this negative e mail. I want to share it with you, not to discourage you, but to inspire you. In all the years we have been helping people here, this is the most mean-spirited e mail we have ever received. One has to question the purpose and motivation of this person. Perhaps he has some connection to the MSG or food industry...or too much MSG is making him angry and anxious! We can feel good about the success we are having in reaching so many people..and we are. This week alone, we have received grateful e mail from Tennessee to Germany. If sales of our survival guide are any indicator, we have had a surge in orders the last two months. Amazon has tripled its order this month. I suspect that there have been headlines about MSG in some regions, or magazine articles, or TV coverage. And whenever that has happened, the glutes get busy at attempting to shake us up. It always happens.
Here's the e mail:

"The No/MSG website is no longer up and running. It's
a shame. The world needs to keep liberal "scare and
divide" organizations such as this around so that we
have some comic relief in our daily lives. Go save a
whale or hug a tree. Scare our seasoned citizens
about global warming and the harmful effects of SUV's.
Couldn't find a cure for crack? How about a
deterrant for child abuse. No/Msg caused a lot of
headlines 20 years ago by trying to scare fellow
Americans about a food additive that had no contrary
effects on 99.9% of the world's population. What a
shame those idiots couldn't pick a more important
cause. No/Msg has come and gone - I thank God I can
still by MSG (Thanks Accent!) at my local grocery.

Larry E. Musselman, Jr."

If anyone would like to respond to Larry, e mail me at avenger@msgmyth.com and I will share his address with you. I'll post my response here.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My response to Larry:

"Hi Larry,
If you had done some research, you would have learned that even the FDA reports that at least 25% of Americans do react to MSG. In the last FASEB study, they admitted that it was a major cause of asthma.
In the years we have been informing people about the dangers of excess glutamate in our food, you have been the 1st to come down so hard on what we are doing.
I am happy for you that you do not yet react to MSG. Of course, one does not often feel the brain lesions forming or the brain cells being destroyed until some serious disorder is diagnosed.
The only people who take the time to disagree with us....three in 10 years.... are those who have some ties to the food industry, lobbyists, restaurants, or drug companies, etc. Hearing from the thousands who are grateful for the truth and for their regained health, makes up for people as angry and misguided as you seem to be. Best wishes for your health, especially since you love Accent so much. Glutamate toxicity slowly builds up in one's system, so don't assume you are safe.To learn some recent scientific information about glutamate, the harmful component of MSG, you might find it worth your while to go to site www.msgtruth.org. And for information about the way the multi-billion dollar food industry protects itself, go to www.truthinlabeling.org. We have no desire to divide and conquer, scare people, or promote hysteria. We thank God that most people who come to us after being told by uniformed doctors, and yes, even after reading all the propaganda about MSG's so-called safety, find relief from their glutamate induced symptoms for the first time, often after years of painful tests, medications, and suffering. May we all live to see the day when glutamate toxicity is revealed for what it really is and tests are done that may lead to relief for the at least 25% of Americans (which translates into millions of us) who suffer.
Thank you for your e mail. I will use it as an example of the bias and ignorance we are up against...not to mention, the government back scratching that goes on as food companies put politicians in their pockets, and the well paid lobbyists for the glutamate industry and the food industry itself, continue to bask in their profits.
P.S. What is it that prompts you to waste such time on us when there are so many positive things you could be doing, like hugging a tree as you suggest? It would seem that a whale is more important to you than the lives of the countless children we have helped who once had ADD, headaches, seizures, asthma, or rage disorder until their parents found our site and chose to ignore what their doctors said about MSG (that it's a safe substance as you believe). Trust me, anything you may say will do little to change the fact that we are saving lives. Do you own a hybrid car? Have you camped in a tree? Are you giving clean needles to drug addicts? What do you do to help others in this world we live in? I hope you find joy in your service to others. We certainly have.
Deb"

At 07:28 PM 3/6/2004, you wrote:
Carol H
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 3:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ignorance is bliss, they say, so why is Larry so darned cranky?

On a different note -some of us here happen to be proud tree-huggers - myself included. If anyone else out there on the board belongs to the Sierra club - please vote. There are some who would hijack their organization for their own limited (unfortunately white supremicist agenda). (I really wish I was making this up, but I'm not.) Please vote for the nominating committee members. This is extremely important.

As for our organization here - we were lucky in a way - for four years we operated under the radar - NoMSG was always the target of the glutes, not us. That has changed - now WE are. We must be even more vigilant now that we will be under attack - for helping educate people. That radio show I called into was immediately switched to a right wing show not two weeks after I was able to fill everyone in on MSG and obesity. Makes you wonder....
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's important that we leave political views out of this discussion board. Some of us are liberals and some are not. We're a mixed bag dedicated to one issue. MSG has been deemed safe for over 50 years, and it will not be any one party or politician that helps the public on this controversial subject. Certainly we should get involved with our elected congressmen, but to blame one side or the other will only fuel arguments, no matter how good they are. And when we do write to them, it's very important that we don't allow them to label us or our views about MSG "hysterical". Carol is right. We will continue to be attacked for helping to educate people, but as long as this is a free nation, we can do it knowing that many more MSG victims will be spreading the word even further...and that can't be stopped. We must be doing something right, or we would not be targeted by anyone.
Carol H
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 8:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, sorry for bringing up politics. My main reason for mentioning the Sierra club issue is that if even the Sierra Club can be undermined by people with a covert agenda, we can too. Our main focus is and should remain educating people about how MSG affects them and how they can eat and live without it and let others know. It is also to provide any new info about MSG. I'll try my best to keep my posts focused on that from now on.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 9:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. We'll take our support on the MSG issue from whatever side of the aisle is willing to give it to us.
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, guys. Carol, you are tops in my book, and I have nothing against your info about the Sierra Club. But after reading that recent negative e mail and remembering a few former times when people got a bit "heated" about some political views, I just thought it would be good to restate what we are about. Roy, your support is so appreciated, too. To take time after time to check this site just to help others who visit here takes a lot of compassion and commitment.. hats off to all of you! You are real heroes in my book. You have no idea how many people you are helping!
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 5:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG maker sees higher profits
By Dominique Patton
Source: http://www.ap-foodtechnology.com/news/ng.asp?n=70230-msg-vedan-flavouring-agents-glutamic-acid-vietnam

31/08/2006 - Higher sales of the flavouring agents MSG and glutamic acid boosted first half earnings at Vedan, the Vietnamese food and feed additive maker that is looking to increase its offering to the food industry. The company, which reported a 20.6 per cent rise in turnover to US$141.5 million for the first half, said sales improved in all products except for lysine, an amino acid used primarily by the feed industry. The ingredient has seen significant downward price pressure for some time and Vedan has as a result switched some of its production capacity to MSG and glutamic acid.Turnover of lysine was almost 12 per cent lower than the previous year at US$9.2 million, said Vedan.
MSG and glutamic acid, on the other hand, were the group's "major growth drivers", it said. MSG sales were up by 14.3 per cent to $96.3 million while glutamic reached US$16 million.Vedan uses locally grown cassava and sugarcane to produce MSG, a flavouring agent popular in the group's biggest market, Japan, which accounts for more than half of its total sales.Sales to China also increased during the period, growing 19 per cent to $20.2 million. The growth mainly came from the increase in sales of GA in the country as well as a new business, Shandong Vedan Snowflake, which started operation. But the firm wants to increase its sales in this market and is currently building a value-added seasoning production line in Shanghai, scheduled to come on stream in the fourth quarter. It may also add a MSG production line in Shandong Vedan Snowflake early next year, it said.Vedan is also increasing its sales of modified starch, with first half turnover from this product up 4.1 per cent to $7.3 million. The firm is expanding its starch plants in Vietnam to meet continued growth.It wants to strengthen its brand and develop new modified starch food applications and different carbohydrate substitutes to create added value and lower production costs. Vedan chairman Yang Tou Hsiung warned however that the second half will still be challenging because of high raw materials costs and the international sales price of lysine. "Despite that, we will push forward…to develop new products and new markets so as to remain competitive and deliver better results for our shareholders."
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now we know why 1 in 5 Chinese are obese now....a 19% growth in sales there.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whenever someone tells you MSG must be good for you because Asians are the healthiest people on the planet - have them read this article just out today:
http://english.people.com.cn/200609/07/eng20060907_300448.html
I am very concerned about the health of Asian individuals right now. I have a great Asian market near my home and I'm telling you, if you buy the processed foods, just like in American grocery stores, its all MSG. If you stick to the plain meats, fish and veggies, you're golden, but if you eat the packaged stuff, it is really high in MSG. Asians are suffering myopia, stroke, depression, autism, and now Type II diabetes and obesity - just like us. And it is really getting much much worse as they move from home-made foods to packaged - just like us. I am really very concerned and when I hear ignorant Americans justify the use of MSG because Asians use it so much "and they're just fine" I want to scream. Asians are suffering terribly from the overuse of MSG in processed foods. That is the absolute truth.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen! We have friends who are from Laos. The parents are pretty lean, but 2 of their 3 children are very overweight. My neighbor visited China 8 years ago. She is very MSG sensitive, and she did fine eating the food in the tiny villages. She watched them make a tea from seaweed, which they occasionally added to a dish instead of MSG...in minute amounts. But when she ate in Hong Kong, which is geared for tourists who expect the more highly seasoned dishes, she got ill. Another very MSG sensitive friend (Shirley Harvey, once editor of the NOMSG newsletter) said while visiting China, she got a whopping headache and ended up in the ER. While there, she asked the doctor why the Chinese didn't get migraines from MSG. He laughed and said, "they do", along with other things. He saw them in the clinic all the time for headaches.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never would have suspected powdered milk contained nitrites. I have long avoided processed meat like hot dogs and ham because of the nitrites and of course I can not tolerate MSG. I began noticing that while I can drink milk I react to anything with dry milk listed as an ingredient and I know it is because the protein is broken down and glutamates released but now after reading this article it seems we are getting a double whammy. Yesterday I ran across this article about China rejecting our powdered milk and why! It is being returned to Darigold. Below is the link.http://www.newstarget.com/020166.html
Dianne/Maine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No matter what the "negative" people out there say, I say THANK YOU to Deb, Carol, Roy, MEMorris and so many others for the info posted on this site. It has been a God-send and has helped me in my efforts to avoid MSG and regain my health. Deb, your response to Larry Musselman was great! God bless you all!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dianne. Your comments made me scroll up to find what Larry had posted. Thanks for refreshing my memory. So happy to be able to help people like you. Yes, we have a wonderful caring group of people here. Something must be going on in the South and Texas area, as we have been getting book orders predominately from those areas. I suspect that there have been local TV or radio shows about MSG or maybe Dr. Blaylock has been giving some talks. Anyway, if anyone has heard anything, please let us know. Next order we get, I may just email that person and ask. Yes, the word is getting around about MSG. Wonder what Larry is doing these days....no, don't really want to know! :-)
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone guess where the nitrites would be coming from in the powdered milk we sent to China. Would nitrites be something the cows are consuming to make the levels so high, surely they wouldn't be adding it. It has now been returned, no doubt for us to unknowingly consume.
www.newstarget.com/020166.html
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jjmartin,

per the link below:

"Nitrate is one of the most common groundwater contaminants in rural areas.

Nitrate in groundwater originates primarily from fertilizers, septic systems, and manure storage or spreading operations."

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-slides-self/facts/nit-heef-grw85.html
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone read this article from Dr.Mercola's site re: Senomyx has contracted with Kraft, Nestle, Coca Cola, and Campbell Soup to put a chemical in foods that masks bitter flavors by turning off bitter flavor receptors on your tongue. The companies can then reduce sugar and sodium levels by approximately half without affecting the flavor.

The company has already developed several chemicals that, although they contain no flavor of their own, activate or block receptors in your mouth that taste. The chemicals can mimic or enhance savory, sweet and salty tastes, and are intended to reduce the use of sugar, salt and monosodium glutamate (MSG) in processed foods.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/04/29/new-stealth-chemicals-hidden-in-your-food.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Dianne, and as the article on Senomyx linked below is three years old, we can assume there's a good chance any consumable with "artificial flavors" on the label may have it in there and should be strictly avoided.

http://www.mindfully.org/GE/2005/Senomyx-Food-Flavorings6apr05.htm
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 5:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, Very interesting article - Although most of us already stay away from 'artificial flavors' it's worth taking a look at. A few lines from it:

"The company's most advanced product, he said, is its replacement for MSG, which last month received safety approval from the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association."

"According to Sara Risch, a food scientist and professor at Michigan State University, food companies are eager to find replacements for MSG because some people are allergic to high levels of it."

"'There's a negative consumer perception held by some people regarding MSG,' said Mr. Snyder, who came out of retirement in 2003 to become Senomyx's chief executive. Some school districts, for instance, won't sell MSG-containing snacks. In the 1970's, after it was shown to induce brain lesions and nervous system disorders in laboratory animals, baby food manufacturers removed it from their products."

"Getting the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association status of generally recognized as safe, or GRAS, took Senomyx less than 18 months, including a 3-month safety study using rats."

"We're helping companies clean up their labels," said Senomyx's chief executive, Kent Snyder.

"But Senomyx maintains that its new products are safe because they will be used in tiny quantities."
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's made from wheat and the company boasts that it contains more glutamate than MSG...."Clean Labeling" is the term used within the food industry to mean they can put glutamate in the food item and people are clueless that it's just like adding MSG without the need to label it, but they won't know it's just as bad for them. It's truly a crime.
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

carol h, which liquid multivitamin do you use?
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Centrum
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, guys, I just updated my Foods to Avoid page again and also added a much better Flow Chart with pictures and more information. Please check it out and give me input.

I hope this new page and more links and easier to understand pictures of what to avoid helps avoid confusion.

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

http://www.msgtruth.org/flowchart.htm
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, it's terrific. I can't see how anyone could be confused by the chart. Do you have anymore information about malted barley flour. the reason I ask is that after I mentioned on a radio show that it was high in glutamate and that it imparts a sweeter flavor to white wheat flour, offsetting the bitter flavors that often develop from sitting on the shelf for some time. Instead, he said that the barley is sprouted to develop enzymes that will break down the wheat protein, freeing up more glutamate.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Malting barley makes it sweet and gives the yeast fuel to work on. Barley flour also gives the wheat a protein boost - you'll notice that bread flour often has barley flour added to up the protein content. The malting does free 5 times more glutamate in the barley so it probably does the same in the wheat flour. I just know I can taste it. I never liked the flavor of the King Arthur flour with the malted barley in it. I use the Arrowhead mills plain red winter wheat instead.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm surprised you could understand my question with the run-on sentence. I meant to mention that it was Jack S. who corrected me. I had learned in a nutrition class about it sweetening up the flour and boosting the protein content, but I had never heard about the enzyme present being the main reason it was being added to wheat flour. What is the malting process? Is that the sprouting and drying process. Jack said that the malted barley flour was not roasted at all..just dried. I know that roasting the barley creates other products that are used to give a golden color to breads and other items...and they make a syrup out of it...taboo, I'm sure and full of glutamate residues.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page