Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Umami..The Fifth Distinct Taste

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Umami..The Fifth Distinct Taste « Previous Next »

M-Y
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read in the paper something very distrubing. They say that Umami is now the Fifth Distinct Taste. It is the glutamate in foods or MSG that makes things lip smakin good. They are now formulating MSG (Umami) without sodium so that MSG can be put in low sodium foods to produce tasty low-sodium foods. Is this just new to me? I wonder how it will be labeled.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M-Y,

Monopotassium glutamate has been used in salt substitutes for years.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/fqa/aa20069b.htm
Carol H
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pretty upsetting considering the MSG industry has known for years that in animal studies glutamate raised blood pressure. Disingenuous at best, criminal at worst.
Jerry Story
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About umami:

I read somewhere (I don't recall where) that umami is just a lie told by the MSG industry to justify MSG.
memorrisnj
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,1522368,00.html

If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn't everyone in Asia have a headache?
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://photoninthedarkness.blogspot.com/2005/06/msg-not-as-toxic-as-people-who-claim.html

This blogger really needs more education
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it fascinating that this person has come to the conclusions he or she has after reading our sites. I can only assume his gift of reason is limited or that the glutes have reached him...$$$....or he has some ties to the food industry. Sad, really, that some people will be influenced by his poor intentions and instincts.bBut then, others may just go to our sites out of curiosity and think for themselves.
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to share with you all that I really believe that people are starting to take notice of MSG...it's becoming a bigger buzz word than in past years. The glutes don't like us and that's just fine. Jack and I are noticing a surge in inquiries...phone calls and email.Both of us have been interviewed by radio stations recently and people are listening. I received a call from a man who said he had just listened to a man on Radio America talking about MSG. He did a search and found us here. I have noticed a huge increase in calls from Canadian and American book stores and people, get this, who have been given our site address by their doctors and friends. Before, it was usually a result of a person's own search of many years. So trust me when I say that the more strides we make, so will the glutes.
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansst du mir ein Speisekarte zeigen ?jqn

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page