Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Obesity Lawsuit

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Obesity Lawsuit « Previous Next »

Carol H
Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this man has gotten such grief lately from the mass media: http://banzhaf.net
But he is the lawyer who went after the tobacco industry. He now has his eye on the food industry. Obesity has him very concerned. He may be the class-action lawyer we have been looking for. We have to convince him that although he is on the right track about fast food causing obesity, he is looking at the wrong macronutrient. He is concerned about fat and sugar. He is not looking at the real culprit - protein - or specifically the building blocks of protein - like free glutamate. I have already sent him an email. Maybe others on this board could also.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go, Carol. I will do the same. PLEASE, let's all e mail him with our stories!
Howard M
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 5:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah!!

Can Canuck's get in on it?

H
Judy T
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure! And of course! The whole world needs to be prepared to speak up.
Tom Fernstromp
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H,

You are correct that this person may be an answer to our desire to get a class action lawsuit going.

But I heard on the local CBS radio news station in Chicago (WBBM) the other day a report that one of the "back lashes" of the failed McDonalds suit was a bill being introduced in Congress to ban "frivolous" lawsuits against the food industry by individuals. The purported reasoning is that people should take responsibility for what they eat and not blame the industry for what they provide.

This is a nice argument if the individual could control what is being added to the foods they eat that are provided by the industry, which is making them "addictive" and harmful.

I tried to contact the radio station to find out who was introducing the proposed bill, but never got a response.
Deb A.
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 9:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We should hold the food industries accountable, and the FDA for taking the word of food industry scientists and lobbyists for the food industry. It's not just taking their word...it's politics.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who will get to decide what is frivolous and what is not?
Texas already has a "food disparagement law" to protect cattle ranchers. Remember what happened to Oprah? These "legislators" should be reminded that Oprah won. Because Mad Cow disease was not frivolous, and the actions of British cattle ranchers were responsible. Ranchers were the ones who fed meat to an animal God designed to eat grass. (Now, really.)

And I'd like to remind these congress people bringing up this bill, that asthma deaths, diabetes deaths, atrial fibrillation deaths and stroke deaths are not frivolous things to family members who lose a loved one to the poison of MSG. And, if it is finally proven to the public how dangerous MSG is, then those congressmen and women, may have quite a bit of trouble being re-elected.

Gee, maybe Ajinomoto could hire them all back.
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go, Carol...haha.
Linda S.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the news today:
A San Francisco attorney has filed a lawsuit against Kraft Foods in Marin County Superior Court to ban the sale of Nabisco Oreo Cookies to children in California, reports the San Francisco Chronicle and Reuters. Why? Stephen Joseph, the attorney who filed the suit, says the cookies are packed with trans fat, a substance that is so dangerous that children shouldn't be allowed to eat it. Trans fat is in many more foods than just Oreo cookies. It's also in every package of store-bought cookies, as well as cereal, potato chips, packaged dessert cakes, margarine, and 42,000 other products.
The attorney bringing this lawsuit--the first of its kind in the country--says it's all about the hidden nature of trans fat. "Tobacco is well known as an unsafe product. Trans fat is not the same thing at all. Very few people know about it," Joseph told The Chronicle. A provision of California law contends that companies are not liable for an unhealthy product if it's commonly used and well-known that it is unsafe. "But this product, trans fat, is not commonly known to be unsafe," Joseph said. "That's why trans fat is a far stronger case than tobacco or McDonald's because people know those are dangerous." Kraft calls the lawsuit baseless.

I would say MSG falls under the same category..since the FDA itself generally regards it as safe. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I try to buy food with no MSG, Aspartame, Hydrogenated Oil or corn syrup. This is nearly impossible. Why must I (and everyone else) be FORCED to ingest ingrediants they don't want to consume? Why must ALL our food contain these items? I feel like they are SLOWLY poisoning the nation, and the nation goes on totally unaware of what is happening. I have also heard that Bush signed the "Burger Bill" which takes away our rights to sue these companies for poisoning us.
Lisa Marie
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just saw the Larry King show with Andrew Weil, Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr.Sanjay Gupta, and a clip of Bill Clinton. They mentioned obesity in America, and how it is because the kids are sitting in front of the tv and not exercising, and also injesting fat. WHY don't they KNOW about the MSG-Obesity connection. WHEN will one of these doctors who inform the public begin to inform themselves????? This is SO frustrating.
sad one
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to buy foods that contain NO MSG (aka hydrolyzed yeast, natural flavorings, seasons, etc…), Aspartame, Hydrogenated Oil or Corn Syrup. This is nearly impossible. (Try it!) Why must I (and everyone else) be FORCED to ingest ingredients they don't want to consume? Why must ALL our food contain these ingredients? I feel like they are SLOWLY poisoning the nation, and the nation goes on totally unaware of what is happening. I have also heard that Bush signed the "Burger Bill" which takes away our rights to sue these companies for using these ingredients. Why?

McDonalds says they are not responsible for obesity. MSG, aspartame, corn syrup and hydrogenated oil are directly linked to obesity. These ingredients are in their food. I say, they are responsible. All the companies are. Not everyone knows or even cares about scientific explanations for chemicals in foods and most people TRUST companies they see on TV.

A five year old child can not make a safe and healthy decision, or is even expected to know what is safe to eat when all he is being offered is soda, MSG, aspartame, hydrogenated oil and corn syrup from a cute and friendly clown his parents brought him to. These companies are trusted by all ages. What’s really scary is, most people do not even know about any of this. It’s like me offering you a glass of water but failed to tell you it was loaded with lead, or changed the name ‘lead’ to something else so you wouldn’t know it was lead, just like they do with MSG.

Years ago, I was thought I was eating healthy when in fact, I was consuming hydrolyzed yeast, spices and natural flavors, all the names for MSG. Was I just supposed to know that out of the blue? Am I ignorant because I didn’t know that back then? Now if I develop health problems related to MSG, I can’t sue for it cause of the Burger Bill? That’s not right. They lied. ‘Spices’ also mean MSG on the labels. The word “spices” is a lie because they didn’t tell me it had MSG on the label, they said it had ‘spices’, which to me means stuff like paprika and onion powder, not MSG. I have consumed, unknowingly MSG for years because of lies, or misrepresentation.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sad one,

You're not alone, but I think the public is starting to catch on.

http://www.rense.com/general67/msg.htm
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geben mir bitte eine Brotchenmvb
Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

conundrums,retroactive demonstrable guts?
Mao:interrogated Klux card games online free holdem prose waltz all in holdem free tournaments spectator turmoil bids allaying:donation local holdem tournaments

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page