Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Good news

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Good news « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 7:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got another call from a "former" fibromyalgia sufferer yesterday, and when I asked if she had learned about MSG/aspartame from the TV broadcast from Florida concerning the doctors affiliated with the U. of Florida and their patients, she said, "no". She explained that she had suffered for 8 years, and 2 months ago had happened to see a short blurp on her local news show (Flint, Michigan area). A lady came on for a minute telling how her fibromyalgia symptoms went away when she diligently removed MSG and aspartame from her diet.(kudos for that lady!) Linda did a search and found our site, got the book, and said in 10 days, she could tell it was making a difference. She has a 15 month old grandchild and she had been in such pain before, she could not lift him comfortably. Now, she says, she can get up and down from the floor with him, and is so happy with her new found health. Can you see my huge grin????!!!
Thought you would enjoy hearing about what a difference all of us are making. She says she is devouring the info from the book and this posting board and linked sites. She was ordering books for more friends and family when she called, and wants to help more people in her area. Way to go, Linda. I think this new fibro coverage will go a long way to spreading the truth about our terrible processed food supply. Keep sharing the information, everyone! Thanks again for all you do. Linda, if you read this, I will e mail (or call) the prices for 4 books, since the info is not on this site for that amount as to shipping costs, discounts, etc. Please e mail me at avenger@msgmyth.com.
Ann Luhcs
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone;
I have closed my food service and am officially in retirement! I have two other businesses, but they are not nearly as difficult, and they don't poison anyone! With my new freedom, I have been writing. It's a mystery novel set in the main character's busy restaurant. Guess what the bad guy uses to poison people?

It is a great opportunity to write about MSG in a scientific fashion that makes it easy for lay people to digest, while entertaining them.

I ran into so much resistance and information-overload when surveying people for my angle to interest people about MSG. I decided that the best way was to get some science 'in there' while entertaining.

Thought you may like an update.

Ann Luhcs
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 4:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann, that's wonderful news! I wish you all the best with your book....please let us know when it's done, okay?
Ann Luhcs
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb;
What are you fixin' for Thanksgiving? Anyone?

Ann
Deb A.
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 3:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ann. I just posted this for someone else a few days ago. Here it goes again:
We buy an all natural turkey that has no solutions or injections. I make the fresh cranberry relish in the book...a must for our family. Chop in the processor: 1 bag cleaned fresh or frozen cranberries with the zest and fruit of one orange...remove the white pith if you want it less bitter, one cut up apple (I peel), and enough sugar to sweeten to taste. Don't over chop and liquify. It's best to chop the zest and sugar together first before adding the rest of the ingredients. Start with 1 cup of sugar. You can always stir in more later, if needed. Use less for a tart sauce.We can get fresh beans or frozen organic green beans here. I patically cook a couple pounds and then add some fried onion (chopped and browned in a little olive oil or butter) and add some sour cream and shredded colby jack cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder...bake at 350 until bubbly or hot thoughout...20to 25 minutes if beans were hot to begin with. I make my own bread and use that for bread crumbs. Dressing is very easy. I simmer the neck and giblets in 3 cups of water with a little onion and celery for about 30 minutes. Add more water as needed while it cooks. I remove the giblets and use the water for moistening the bread. Before that, I cut up 7 stalks of celery and 1 large or 2 small onions and saute in 1/3 cup of butter (can be more or less to taste). When transparent, I add 1/2 t. dry marjoram, a pinch of thyme, 1 t. of dry parsley, and 1/4 to 1/2 t. of dry sage. I season with salt, pepper, and sugar, tasting to adjust seasonings. Moisten with the broth from the giblets, adding more water if necessary. Don't make it too wet, because the onion and celery add moisture, along with the bird. I stuff a little in the bird and most of it goes in a buttered, covered casserole dish. I check this while it cooks. If it seems to be too dry, I will drizzle some more water on top and mix in gently while it cooks. I simmer cut up, peeled sweet potatoes and mash with butter, salt and pepper, milk or water if too dry. Place in a buttered 9x13 inch dish. I melt 3 T. of butter in a pan with 1/2 c. of sugar and 1/3 c. of brown sugar. Simmer until it bubbles and add 1/2 cup pecans or almonds and a pinch of cinnamon and a tinier pinch of clove or allspice (can omit spices), some salt to taste. I crumble or spread over the top of the sweet potatoes and bake, uncovered. We make our mashed potatoes by adding a couple cloves of garlic to the water when simmering them. We have lots of fresh vegetables like broccoli, brussel sprouts, corn(organic frozen), fresh made rolls (Ginnie's Crescent rolls or whole wheat ones in book). Sometimes I make cooked cranberry sauce by cooking them with fresh frozen raspberries and fresh chopped ginger and sugar.. or make the traditional sauce on the bag's recipe. Apple and pumpkin pie are favorites and always homemade.
I make pie dough using real butter instead of Crisco. I make the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce the day before, along with setting the table. I make the rolls days before, form them and then freeze on cookie sheets like I do strawberries. When frozen, I place into freezer bags. Then 2 hours before we eat, I set them on baking sheets to defrost and rise. A friend says they are just like fresh even when she raises and bakes them first before freezing them. She defrosts in the bags and then puts them in the oven wrapped in foil for about 10 minutes or until warm. For those who love pecan pie, there's a recipe in the book that does not require corn syrup, and it's very good.
Ann Luhcs
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 4:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb;
Thank you! It looks absolutely delicious! I will study your menu when I make out mine, and think of you on Thanksgiving Day. We will toast you at dinner.

Next time I will brouse more carefully to keep you from reposting something this lengthy.

I have commercial property in our historic downtown. The jewelery store that has rented from us is moving, and ever since she told me, I cannot get the idea out of my head of a real msg free specialty grocery in that space. We could include education on the subject. We could have space for food prep in the future. I am wondering about making products that could be sold through the store and on the larger market. As you can tell, it is all in the idea stage, and may not make it to reality, and here are some important factors for me to find out about:

Purchasing: Most grocery and restaurant purchasing is done through distribution houses that carry tons of items. You may need three to five places to order from to get everything you need to stock your small store or cafe, and this keeps purchasing from being too huge a job. But in this, I would have to buy from individual suppliers, and that could make the products too expensive after markup (because I would customarily be charged retail from those places or have to make special deals on each product from each supplier each time I buy). Also, the job of purchasing would need to be customized and greatly expanded.

The market: I find that I enlighten everyone I see regarding this issue, there is not a "public" who searches out msgfree products until they have been through the hells that each of us has and has intelligently and carefully weeded through all the wrong answers. It is about a five year time lag from need to discovery, which is long. And as you know, five years is for the speedy and lucky. Maybe if our books become best-sellers, we can improve that.

Carol H: any thoughts? I know you've been in the business, and I think I caught on this discussion board that you are writing a book now?

Sorry if I don't have my info straight. I am looking forward to visiting this site more often now that my schedule is so very different.
And, it helps that I can now post. For several months I could not post (don't know why it would not work), and only checked in to read once in a while.

Thank you
Ann Luhcs
Deb A.
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann, we're all glad that you can join us more often now. And your idea for a health grocery store is great. I understand what you mean about the profit margin you need to keep one running and about the problem you might have when you can't buy in large amounts for the discount price from any one place. We had a small country store years ago. But the idea is intriguing. I bet that if you go online and do a search on organic and healthful products, you may be able to hunt down the producers and talk to them about your dilemna. Some of them are small family businesses that might welcome another outletfor their product.
I hope you do this. It's worth a try. Do you have the competition of a Trader Joe's or Whole foods nearby? Even if you do, there is a growing trend in whole foods and healthy prodcuts. There is a large increase in the number of organic growers, I just read somewhere.
You could also sell locally made healthy foods, art, and gifts to boost sales. Best wishes!
Cici
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 7:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have a good recipe for stuffing or for pecan pie? I just found out that I react to MSG and corn syrup. All the pecan pie recipes have corn syrup. It checked the frozen pie section and it's like poison city with all the chemicals added. Stuffing mixes are full of MSG, too.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put a recipe for pecan pie under a different topic, Cici. Check today's posting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page