Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Good news! Fibromyalgia broadcast sp...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Good news! Fibromyalgia broadcast spreading « Previous Next »

Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently, the show which first aired in Florida with Dr. Smith and his fibromyalgia patients is being aired in other cities in the south and midwest. Patients are doing searches on MSG and are finding our site. We have received numerous e mail, phone calls, and book orders as a result. The information is spreading folks, and a network like FMS support groups are well linked. Hopefully, the truth will alleviate a lot of suffering.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 8:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People with fibromyalgia have been found to react to substances other than monosodium glutamate, but it's at the top of the list (towards bottom of article):

http://www.naturalhealthworld.com/articles/fibro1.html
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many people feel that excitotoxins are the main culprits for the symptoms of FMS, including many doctors now. And the damage that they have done over time, along with over use of some meds and antibiotics, is at the root of the cause of this and other growing epidemics. By poisoning us and compromising our immune systems, our bodies can no longer support stasis. We can become sensitive to many substances that never bothered us before. Yep, MSG is at the top of my list, too.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 5:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A,

Below is an article from USA Weekend magazine from last Sunday's Paper:

Fibromyalgia mystery:
If MSG and sweetener stop, so do symptoms

A very small study by the University of Florida offers promise of a dietary treatment for the chronic fatigue and pain of fibromyalgia.
Four women who had had fibromyalgia for years, plus allergies (such as allergic rhinitis and food allergies, for example), found that their fibromyalgia symptoms were nearly gone within a few months of eliminating from their diets the widely used flavor enhancer MSG (monosodium glutamate) and the artificial sweetener aspartame.

MSG and aspartame do not cause fibromyalgia, explains a researcher, nor does eliminating those items work for patients who do not suffer from allergies.

But for a disease that has no treatment, no known cause and as many as 6 million (mostly female) sufferers, it's worth a try.
-- Peggy Noonan
The magazine offered links from their website for a list of the scientific sources behind this report, but I had difficulty getting the link to post here so I'm posting the source:

The Annals of Pharmacotherapy: Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 702706.

Relief of Fibromyalgia Symptoms Following Discontinuation of Dietary Excitotoxins
Jerry D Smith, 1 Chris M Terpening, 2 Siegfried OF Schmidt, 3 and John G Gums4

BACKGROUND: Fibromyalgia is a common rheumatologic disorder that is often difficult to treat effectively.

CASE SUMMARY: Four patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome for two to 17 years are described. All had undergone multiple treatment modalities with limited success. All had complete, or nearly complete, resolution of their symptoms within months after eliminating monosodium glutamate (MSG) or MSG plus aspartame from their diet. All patients were women with multiple comorbidities prior to elimination of MSG. All have had recurrence of symptoms whenever MSG is ingested.

DISCUSSION: Excitotoxins are molecules, such as MSG and aspartate that act as excitatory neurotransmitters, and can lead to neurotoxicity when used in excess. We propose that these four patients may represent a subset of fibromyalgia syndrome that is induced or exacerbated by excitotoxins or, alternatively, may comprise an excitotoxin syndrome that is similar to fibromyalgia. We suggest that identification of similar patients and research with larger numbers of patients must be performed before definitive conclusions can be made.

CONCLUSIONS: The elimination of MSG and other excitotoxins from the diets of patients with fibromyalgia offers a benign treatment option that has the potential for dramatic results in a subset of patients.

-- A support group for fibromyalgia patients can be reached at bfibrofree@aol.com or information is available by phone from West Virginia-based "Pain-Free Living" at (304) 872-4141.
-- More information about MSG is available at www.TruthInLabeling.org

PS I also wrote to the above support group and recommended your site.
Deb A.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EXCELLENT, Tom! You know, it blows me away to think of all the people who have been misdiagnosed for years for everything from fibromyalgia to Meniere's disease. Whenever I hear of some ailment that has "no known cause or cure", I can't help but jump to the conclusion, right or wrong, that it is MSG/aspartame induced. It's good to hear that the fibromyalgia link is gaining real momentum.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.- In the last 2 years we have come closer and closer to Betty Martini of the anti-aspartame crusade. I subscribe to her e-mail newsletters daily and her group emails continually cover the same topics as we do on the Discussion Board.
Just as we now reference excitotoxins and other food chemicals as the root of our many health problems, so does Betty and her group. Before her only cause was aspartame. This has now expanded as the scope of her investigation has widened.
She does have a class action suit in progress at the moment. It will be interesting to see where it goes. Have you or anyone else on the Board been in touch with her?
Deb A.
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry, I think that board members of NoMSG have had contact with her in the past...I may be wrong, but I thought she was once a member of that organization. I have been sent information and letters which she has written (forwarded to me). It is great to hear that she includes MSG in her crusade. Some others who are fighting aspartame do not. Thanks for sharing this...it is so encouraging.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 4:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny you should mention.... I just emailed with Betty today. We have been in contact the past two days thanks to MEMorris. I hope to help them with what we have learned. The fact that aspartate can be turned into glutamate in the body is a clear link that that at least some of the damage done by aspartame is due to its being turned into glutamate. Our paths (the anti-aspartame folks and the anti-MSG folks) were due to cross sooner or later.
Gerry Bush
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 6:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YEAH!! There is power in numbers!
Betty Martini
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 2:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may give you a little insight. In l983/84 Searle did studies in South America and literally sacrificed people in poor villages that wouldn't be missed. Not only did aspartame destroy the brain, the central nervous system and trigger brain tumors and seizures, but it also showed that aspartame hardens the synovial fluids. This causes agonizing joint pain, many times diagnosed as fibromyalgia which is a diagnostic wastebucket. In other words, there is no way for physicians to coorelate these symptoms with aspartame because they have been lied to by industry, the FDA and professional organizations who are funded by industry. However, when Dateline did a story on fibromyalgia they said that fibromyalgia victims all were depleted in serotonin. That's a dead giveaway to aspartame since the phenylalanine lowers the seizure threshold and depletes serotonin. And, of course, lowered serotonin triggers manic depression, suicidal tendencies, mood swings, insomnia, rage, panic attacks, etc.

Dave Rietz, webmaster of www.dorway.com is one of these victims who suffered for years and no physician could help him. He built a room on his home to house a Jacuzzi because it was too painful to walk. He got on Internet saw the FDA report of 92 symptoms, got off aspartame and his pain disappeared.

Fibromyalgia is also seen in multiple chemical sensitivity patients. You see aspartame is actually a chemical poison just like the poisons that cause MCS. However, in aspartame its called polychemical sensitivity syndrome. Most victims on the aspartame support groups react to other toxins, foods, sweeteners, etc. and have to go back to scratch.

I recommended reading Dr. Roberts position paper on www.dorway.com Aspartame and fibromyalgia and arthritis. It is also discussed in his new medical text, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, www.aspartameispoison.com Aspartame, as you know, has a synergistic effect with MSG, and I'm many of you have read the book Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D., www.amazon.com on aspartame and MSG. Also, for those who haven't checked out www.truthinlabeling.org this is an excellent web site on MSG.

An affavidit from the translator of the South America studies is on web. I'm delighted to see this study. Its like reading the aspartame support groups as people remove the excitoxins and return to a healthful life. They must, however, be careful the rest of their life and avoid artificial and natural flavors and anything that is processed. Aspartame interacts with drugs and vaccines, etc.

WE are now taking case histories for class action but starting with brain tumors, eye problems, blindness and seizures. I hope in the end they will pick up all the problems.

All my best,
Betty Martini Bettym19@mindspring.com www.dorway.com

Aspartame destroys the immune system and does trigger chronic fatigue. It is an adjuvant and forms antigenic tissue triggering immunologic attack.
Carol H
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 6:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Betty, I will be adding more info about aspartame to the new website very soon.
Roy Piwovar
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Betty, for your efforts such as the writings linked below. This Aspartame stuff is enough to make your head swim (pun intended):

http://www.cybernaute.com/earthconcert2000/AspartameGate.htm
Gerry Bush
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 9:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Betty, we are definitely marching alongside you and your group. I too, used to consume lots of aspartame laden foodstuffs. Today like many others here, I suffer from the polychemical sensitivity syndrome.
Thank you for your passion. It sustains many of us.
Deby
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 4:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another question ? IF you have ingested Aspertame/MSG for YEARS...is there irreversable damgage done? Can there be symptoms that you just have to learn to live with due to years of ingesting this POISON?.....The seratonin thing explains why my Dr. has had me on 3..yes 3 antidepressents....I have taken MYSELF off 2 already.....which has probably been part of my withdrawal crisis. Any opinions out there...I am still hanging in there and checking this board 10 times a day. :-)...You all are the best.
Deby
MEMorrisNJ
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To add to Deby's question, I'd like to know what steps can be taken to reduce high levels of phenylanine and aspartic acid in the body (in addition to eliminating all processed food and lowering protein intake to reduce the phenylanine level). I already read the detox recommendations at http://www.dorway.com

Recently, my amino acid blood test results revealed that I have high aspartic acid and phenylalanine levels. This brought me to reading Braverman's and Pfeiffer's book entitled, "The Healing Nutrients Within". In it it reads: "Melanomas and papillary and serous cyst adenocarcinomas seem to require more phenylalnine." --- Yikes, well I already had back papillary serous ademocarcinoa of the endometrium in 1989 when I was 42 and when my diet was probably LOADED with MSG, aspartame and other additives! Back then, the doctors at Sloan Kettering Memorial Hospital told me that they were seeing an usual # of cases in younger women although it was previously considered an "old women's disease". They didn't comment about any connection to excitoxins in the diet but now it all seems quite likely to me.
Tom Fernstrom
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 8:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deby,

I can't say for sure that my abstinence, prescribed medications and supplementation of Taurine, Magnesium and CoQ10 have reversed all the damage caused by MSG and Aspartame. But I can tell you I feel better now than I have in years, my blood work shows all levels normal and my heart is no longer enlarged as it was when I had Congestive Heart Failure due to the Atrial Fibrillation brought on by MSG.

Who knows what long-term effects may show up as I age -- perhaps dementia or worse Alzheimer's? But at 51, I'm hoping that my body can recover from the damage by healing itself now that I am eating healthy and paying such close attention to all things that affect my health.

My only wish is that since we know what damage Aspartame & MSG can do, that there was some way we could protect our children & their children from ever having to suffer the damage.
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for posting here, Betty. We are fighting for the same things, and we hope the class action suit is successful. Please keep us informed of its progress. And we wish you good health and the stamina needed for this battle!
Betty Martini
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 1:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the questions about watching foods, antidepressants, etc. the first rule from Dr. H. J. Roberts on foods is "when in doubt throw it out". Dr. Fagan who write about genetically engineered foods says "if its in a box don't buy it." I was on a radio show a few months ago and there was a man who worked in with foods in restaurants and said they are loaded with aspartame and MSG. So it is a delinema and some people have more serious problems than others.

Remember that aspartame is a drug and interacts with other drugs and antidepressants. To make matters worse many times aspartame is used in the drugs, and many times to treat the problems that aspartame causes. I called one company today that put aspartame in an antidepressant. It's good to have a PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) to know what is in anything you take and also ask the pharmacist.

As to MSG I'm sure most of you know it got a bad name so they started giving it many other names. Dr. Blaylock has a list of them in the back of Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills. And you'll be happy to know he is writing a new book on nutrition which will help all those poisoned on excitotoxins. I like his new little booklet because it has some great advice on nutrition, www.bioterrorismbook.com In fact, it also take syou what to keep in your house, etc.

As to the long term effects, I think the nutritional advice that will be given by Dr. Blaylock will help bring you back as normal as you can get. And I think I said there is a chapter on detoxification in Dr. Roberts new medical text. He tells you also to flush the body with lots of distilled water but both doctors say stay away from the plastic, use glass bottles.

Also, some people using aspartame will get off the Diet soda and use regular soda, I wouldn't recommend anybody use it. It has sorbates and such used to kill bacteria and Dr. Bowen, a physician and expert on aspartame and a victim who is also severely chemically hypersensitive, says in some countries this is used as an insectidie for dust mites. And you probably know phosphoric acid is what is used to clean toilets. You want ot eat as healthy as you can. Dr. Bowen says to live a normal life you really have to understand the chemical hypersensitivity and literally go back to scratch.

And there are a lot of things that can help people and the damage. I know Dr. Blaylock sells Juice Plus so it must be wonderful. Spice Crosby sells the glyconutrients by Mannachech and says it can undo a lot of damage and helps Parkinson's victims. Even physicians contacted me about them when I did a press release on Michael Fox, a former Diet Pepsi spokesman who got Parkinson's at age 30. Of course, aspartame can precipitate Parkinson's and interacts with L-dopa, no doubt why he was going downhill so fast.

And yes, its important to what kind of world we leave our grandchildren. There is some senator trying to write a bill to get soda pop out of the schools. They even have neurotoxins in formulas, its unbelievable.

Since there have been three congressional hearings trying to remove aspartame and Monsanto paid senators like Orrin Hatch, I suspect the only way to remove it is through class action. And we're working now on transferring all case histories to attorneys.

Incidentally, Dr. Blaylock says if you take magnesium it will protect the brain and the heart from excitotoxins. That's one way to help.

All my best,
Betty
Deb A.
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Betty, I have heard from at least 3 people who have personally gone to Dr. Blaylock, and who called to say they felt worse after being on his regiment of vitamins for a couple months. I told them to do what you just said,...."when in doubt, throw it out". They did, and felt better right away. The problem I think, is that some of these supplements contain sources of glutamate in the form of cornstarch, lactose, or lactic acid, dextrose, etc. Even the coatings contain hydrolyzed protein, according to Jack Samuels. I take powdered calcium, magnesium, and potassium (Tri-salts from Ecological Formulas - no fillers or binders) and seem to do fine with that. I look forward to Dr. Blaylock's book. Please tell us what Juice Plus is...ingredients? And what are the glyconutrients you are referring to? Thanks. We appreciate your input so much.
MARY A
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW GUYS, I AM BLOWN AWAY BY ALL THIS NEW INFORMATION. I'LL TRY TO TAKE IT ALL IN. TOM, MY BROTHER SUFFERS FROM ATRIAL FIB AND I HAVE BEEN SHARING THIS INFO W/ HIM AND AM CONVINCED THAT IS HIS PROBLEM. GOOD FOR YOU FOR SHANGING AND HELPING YOURSELF. THANK YOU BETTY FOR ALL THE INPUT. VERY INTERESTING. DEBY, HANG IN THERE.
MARY A
Ruth
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much, Betty, for the info. I would also like to know what Juice Plus is.
su
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

60 minutes is doing a show on MONSANTO, the culprit in illegal polluting. Sunday evening. 11/10/02, this should discredit them in a big way!!!
carolyn turbett
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys. was just wondering since I have a grandbaby on formula. What do you get without msg and additives? At least they dont use soy, like I used for my sons who are 23 now.
thanks,
Carolyn
Deb A.
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to find a formula that doesn't contain sources of glutamic acid...whey, dry milk solids, corn syrup solids, soy protein, soy milk, lactose, etc. Nursing is always the best option, of course. But if the baby is not getting sick on a formula, it's probably a better one. If the baby is reacting, my advice is to keep trying other brands. Some people end up giving their baby goat milk. My son got very sick on every formula we tried, and unfortunately, I had decided not to nurse him. We ended up having to send away for a special clear formula for him that was very expensive, but he finally thrived. That was 29 years ago. Needless to say, I nursed my last baby.
wholebodyrachel
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that everybody needs to check out www.knowthecause.com
If your body is getting rid of toxins your going to feel bad at first. This website and many others have helped me.
Carol H
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 5:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just heard that a new company is going to be selling human milk - after pasteurizing it first.
Jerry Story
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to HMS, if human milk is not good enough it can be supplemented with veggy juice. Keeping in mind that veggy juice is not a complete substitute for human milk, only a supplement. To provide extra minerals and such.

According to HMS, carrot juice works okay for babies.
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 756
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 140
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 827
Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 484
Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geben mir bitte eine Brotchenjjv

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page