Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

March against MSG & Monsanto

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » March against MSG & Monsanto « Previous Next »

Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 10:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now if we could organize & march..... similar to what they did against GMO & Monsanto:

https://www.facebook.com/MarchAgainstMonstanto

Yesterday, activists around the WORLD rallied in defense of seeds & farmers. The target of their protest was Monsanto, the GMO giant that's trying to dominate the global supply of seeds & enslave farmers to its corporate agenda.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 11:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DUH! I meant a march for the removal of MSG & its related & hidden components.

Many people in stores along the march didn't know what GMO is.
As I'm sure many people don't know where MSG is hiding.

I know it's wishful thinking.....but I still dream that some day people will at least become aware & actively avoid the culprits.
Social Media is our friend, so when that day happens, perhaps we can muster up a rally & march.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 12:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you go on a march against monsanto Pat? I wasn't able to. Itried to look at the news to see how it went but it would appear the press (you know the free press..haha!!) had a blanket ban on reporting. Not a word was reported about it in Europe despite marches in most European countries. It appears Monsanto have more than just the American Government in their pocket. I did however find good reporting on rt.com.( a great news site that posts honest news rather than the main stream propoganda we are drip fed..i think so anyhow!!) And of course on social media.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Received this e-mail from the Move-on Organization if anyone is interested:

Monsanto may have finally gone too far. Progressives in Congress are fighting to repeal the infamous "Monsanto Protection Act" and block Monsanto's attacks on state GMO labeling laws, and MoveOn members are leading the grassroots backlash. Can you chip in $5 to help stand up to Monsanto?

https://civ.moveon.org/donatec4/monsanto_11.html?bg_id=hpc5&id=68361-2895633-OJ_2zrx&t=2

Dear MoveOn member,

Is there a company in the world more evil than Monsanto? I don't think so.

Last year, Monsanto spent nearly $6 million on lobbying, and their payoff was the "Monsanto Protection Act," which was written anonymously, passed in secret, and allows Monsanto to keep selling genetically engineered seeds even if a federal court says they may pose a health risk.1

Now, Monsanto has sneaked an amendment into the farm bill that would block GMO labeling laws moving forward in states like Vermont and Connecticut.2

This time, Monsanto may have gone too far. A massive backlash is growing against the Monsanto Protection Act, and Senator Jeff Merkley is demanding a floor vote to repeal it.

We can beat Monsanto, but we don't have much time to get organized, because the farm bill has already passed the House and is being debated in the Senate right now.

We know that we'll never be able to outspend Monsanto, but with your help we can out-organize them with smart, well-timed, targeted campaigning. Together, we can take on Monsanto by:

Supporting campaigns all over the country led by MoveOn members targeting their members of Congress, asking them to stand up to Monsanto's influence.

Providing financial support for flyers, rallies, transportation and the other crucial nuts and bolts necessary to run a strong campaign.

Calling out key members of Congress who are supporting Monsanto over the public interest and making sure the public knows whose side they're on

MoveOn leaders around the country are eager to push forward, but they need your help: If we can raise $150,000 in the next two days, we can help kick-start these campaigns immediately.

Last year, Monsanto's $6 million investment bought them several favorable pieces of legislation. But right now, your investment of $5 can help launch a nationwide movement to make sure that our democracy isn't auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Thanks for all you do.

®CAnna, Wes, Linda, Mariana, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Lobbying Spending Database°™Monsanto Co, 2013," OpenSecrets.org, accessed May 21, 2013
http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000000055

"How the Monsanto Protection Act snuck into law," Salon, March 27, 2013
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=290195&id=68361-2895633-OJ_2zrx&t=4

2. "'Monsanto Protection Act 2.0°š Would Ban GMO-Labeling Laws At State Level," International Business Times, May 20, 2013
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=290225&id=68361-2895633-OJ_2zrx&t=5

Want to support our work? MoveOn Civic Action is entirely funded by our 8 million members°™no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 8:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you posting Tom. Thanks for the insight & links! I didn't realize the moveon.org connection.

Yes Ali, I did attend. While West Palm Beach, FL organized late, it rallied 400(?) people. Appears only Channel 25 (aka 5) covered the story, but allotted only 30 seconds.

I was surprised the BBC didn't cover it. They usually report decent coverage of US events ahead of US media. Thanks for the rt.com website - they provided good coverage.

Sometimes I felt like we were preaching to the choir until a few passerbys asked about GMO. The organizers handed out flyers & brought them up to speed.

You pegged our media correctly. They are a monopoly & are contributing to the dumbing down of America.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 8:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you posting Tom. Thanks for the insight & links! I didn't realize the moveon.org connection.

Yes Ali, I did attend. While West Palm Beach, FL organized late, it rallied 400(?) people. Appears only Channel 25 (aka 5) covered the story, but allotted only 30 seconds.

I was surprised the BBC didn't cover it. They usually report decent coverage of US events ahead of US media. Thanks for the rt.com website - they provided good coverage.

Sometimes I felt like we were preaching to the choir until a few passerbys asked about GMO. The organizers handed out flyers & brought them up to speed.

You pegged our media correctly. They are a monopoly & contributing to the dumbing down of America.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 6:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This news item is obscene.

Obama Appoints Monsanto VP To Food Safety Czar
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/youre-appointing-who-plea_b_243810.html
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 3:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this recent or from 2009?
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 6:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's from 2009. But I found a video pointing to it on a recent post on Rense.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 3:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some good news. Farmers are suing Monsanto.
http://www.naturalnews.com/040625_lawsuit_Monsanto_genetic_pollution.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page