|Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 9:33 pm: || |
U-Va. fraternity pledge hospitalized after soy-sauce dare
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 12, 2011; 11:46 PM
A University of Virginia freshman was hospitalized this month after chugging a bottle of soy sauce at the Zeta Psi fraternity house, according to court documents.
The 19-year-old was pledging to join the fraternity and drank the soy sauce on a dare, according to a search warrant affidavit. Early on the morning of March 1, the pledge beganhaving seizures and foaming at the mouth.
An older fraternity member drove the pledge to the emergency room. The student had an electrolyte imbalance caused by consuming large amounts of sodium and was in critical condition at the time. He has since been released from the hospital.
Police are also investigating a strange meal that Zeta Psi pledges ate that night. The Daily Progress newspaper reported that the dish - made of dog food, matzo balls, gefilte fish and soy sauce - is a pledges-only tradition at the fraternity.
Police and university officials are now trying to determine if Zeta Psi members engaged in hazing, which is a misdemeanor in Virginia.
A university spokeswoman said in an e-mail that officials cannot comment on active investigations. If students are found guilty of hazing, they could face expulsion.
|Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 7:13 am: || |
They kill dogs in Indonesia that way. They do eat dogs there. The seizures and the foaming at the mouth are typical reactions the dogs are reported to have before they die. Terrible. Of course, nothing is mentioned about the huge percentage of glutamate in the soy sauce, the dog food, and the gefilte fish (read the label recently on one bottle, and it's full of free glutamate and MSG).
|Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 4:36 pm: || |
What I saw was "HOW MUCH MSG" did this young man drink that night in the soy sauce. I knew there would be more in that meal once I read about it.
Seizures are a pretty hefty price to pledge a frat imo.
|Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 4:40 pm: || |
I should probably add hazing at college campuses never sits well with me. I had a student who was hazed to join the lacrosse team one semester. He died during the night of acute alcohol intoxication.
This was him - http://hazing.hanknuwer.com/haben.html