Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The US Department of Agriculture’s Ag...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » The US Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS) and Ajinomoto « Previous Next »

ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just came across this on facebook. Im speechless!!

www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Science-Nutrition/Ajinomoto-and-USDA-collaborate-on-MSG-research
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any illusions about the USDA acting in our best interests should be dispelled by this latest atrocity. There seems to be no end to greed.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/10/V8TW.html
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, it's disgusting..this sounds like a ploy to make us all addicted to MSG thinking it will slim us down. We get fatter, sicker...and we spend more money on drugs and diet foods. They have ample studies that prove that MSG makes lab animals fat.
It reminds me of the tobacco company adding MSG to their cigarettes. The lawyers have letters that prove they did this to increase addiction....and they directed some of their campaigns at the young.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 5:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder how much Ajinomoto is paying the USDA for this "collaboratin". The USDA and the FDA are useless in protecting our health when it comes to many chemicals and additives....so many never tested.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MSG in cigarettes Deb? I never knew that. How do they get away with this?? Im just astounded by the suggestion that MSG can be used as a slimming aid. It beggars belief!! Reading that artical last night, just stopped me dead in my tracks. I read it three times because i thought i must be missing the point!! Id be interested to know how much Ajinomoto are paying too. It seems so much comes down to money. The only thing i trust these days food wise, is whole foods that have either been grown in the earth or have lived and breathed and even then finding safe versions is a mind field.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 1:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read that what they add to cigarettes to boost addiction is ammonia, which in turn is said to increase glutamate in the brain:

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/chemicalsinsmoke/p/nicoboost.htm

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/ammonia-in-cigarettes-and-smokeless-tobacco-products-80861/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Roy...that's the more technical explanation...thanks so much. I think we had lots of discussion on this topic in the archives on this board.
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mind reeled when I read that article, too, Ali. It smacks of conspiracies to keep us sick, dumb or worse.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is exactly why corporate America is against "Medicare for all" type health care. There is huge profit in the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries as long as we are being poisoned. If you look into the corporate umbrellas and political bedfellows, you see that the giants in the processed food industry, biotech industry and pharmaceutical industries are all tied together. It's a never ending cycle of convincing Americans to buy poisoned food which makes them sick and keeps them eager consumers of expensive health care.

We cut off cable a while back because we just couldn't stand to watch all those ads hawking poisons and the "get 'em hooked while they're young" (Gerber Generation commercials make me feel ill!) philosophy. (We can't afford to buy corn-free food AND watch TV, either, but I can't even watch HULU because of the ads) Also, the fact that all the mainstream media is owned by a couple of corporate giants doesn't help matters. Nothing will ever change as long as the prevailing attitude of most Americans remains "that's a problem for the other guy, not my problem".
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 8:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And now Ajinomoto has come up with another food additive and claimed a sixth taste sensation - since the "fifth taste" campaign went so well...

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/kokumi-a-sixth-taste-is-discovered-by-japanese-researchers/19695171#gcpDiscussPageUrlAnchor

Disgusting
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 11:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think i will be sticking to my four tastes, thanks all the same!! Thats just plain scary!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 1:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are making the kooky flavor from yeast extract. Sounds like MSG to me.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 6:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep! And I really hope, that since they are touting it as a replacement for MSG, that means that people are getting the hint that MSG is a bad thing. Should be a short leap from that to exposing any new chemical additives that are developed. One can hope!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page