Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

GMO salmon to be considered by FDA

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » GMO salmon to be considered by FDA « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 3:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can anyone consider this stuff safe? If they are approved, it is just a matter of time before all salmon is inedible. Farmed fish escape the nets all the time.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/genetically-modified-salmon-fda-review/story?id=11645616
Anon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can we stop this?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone in a position of authority needs to be convinced that introducing genes for accelerated aging into our food supply is a bad idea.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mind boggles at the implications. Are these things infertile? Could there be cross-fertilization with nonGMO salmon? Will they eat all the food for natural fish until all others are wiped out? Will they continue to grow to monstrous size if there is nothing to stop them? How will that effect other species (not just other fish)? It's horrifying.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 10:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG!!!!!! This is terrifying. We lived in Holland for many years ,now the tallest race. Some believed it was down to the relaxed laws on growth hormones found in their meat. This takes it to a whole new level.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they've already made up their minds to approve it:

"The FDA has already published an analysis on its website concluding that GM salmon is both safe to eat and of minimal risk to the environment."

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/fda-inconclusive-on-genetically-modified-salmon-determined-safe/10840/
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently the accelerated aging is due to the splicing of genes between different species of fish, which has produced abnormalities that the company has tried to hide. They seem to want to approve them without ever having tested the effects of their consumption on mammals.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, that's the tried and true method of getting any GMO approved. Thanks for the link, I wish we could do something about this.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and all i can say is YIKES!!

Pandoras Box??

how about Apocalypse Now???
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.naturalnews.com/029837_health_news_mainstream_media.html

I gotta problem with the following statement.

** And the FDA says placing a "genetically modified" label on genetically modified fish would be illegal! **

I didn't read that right. I will read it again.

** And the FDA says placing a "genetically modified" label on genetically modified fish would be illegal! **

I'm having a reading comprehension problem. I'm still not reading it right.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

I give up. Can anyone figure this?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 2:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry, it's simple - honesty is illegal and it's the FDA's mission to put a stop to it.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's something from the fda website regarding a warning to appear on the product label, only it pertains to the environment not us dumb consumers who would be "confused" by a label.

Section 3.4 of the EA presents information on labeling of the product including several warning statements expected to appear on the product label: “fish must be reared in land-based, highly contained systems that prevent their release into the environment” and that the “fish cannot be reared in conventional cages or net pens deployed in open bodies of water.” At the time that these analyses were prepared, labeling submitted for the product was still under review by FDA and thus is subject to change.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/VeterinaryMedicineAdvisoryCommittee/UCM224762.pdf
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 11:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wait...
why was that not confusing?
im confused!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page