Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

E Numbers, An Edible Adventure, Shown...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » E Numbers, An Edible Adventure, Shown on BBC 2 England « Previous Next »

ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 2:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, i just thought id share with you my horror at what ive just seen on tv here in Ireland. It was a program shown on prime time tv regarding e numbers.
It had me shouting at the tv. Id love to know what food company/corporation sponsored the making of it!!!Because, you can bet your bottom dollar they were funding it in some way!!

There was a full 15 minute segment about flavour enhancers. In particular our old friend MSG E621. They stated that glutamate was found in brocolli, mushrooms etc and was naturally occuring..All true. So by their reckoning if you had a problem with MSG (none of its aliases where even mentioned...lots of shouting at tv about that!!!!) you would also have a problem with these foods. No mention of the difference between naturally occuring BOUND glutamate and our "friend" free glutamate. All apparently one in the same thing!!!! No mention that it was a excitotoxin....Nothing, not a word.

Next they took four people to a chinese restaraunt. These four people all claimed to suffer from an intolerance of msg. They were asked to eat a chinese meal laid out before them and say what symptoms they got from it. All reported their own particular symptoms, all found it difficult to eat. Now heres the rub, that food according the program contained no MSG. Therefore these people were made to look stupid. The program went on then to state that this proved that it was in peoples minds. That MSG infact didnt cause their symptoms. (I was standing and positively ranting at tv by this stage!!!) Now what they mean by this meal being MSG free was that no pure MSG in white powder form was added. It was a chinese meal, containing soy sauce, hoisin sauce etc etc...the pastry for the dimsums and spring rolls was ready made from a packet etc etc.......MSG free!!!! I think not!!!

Then ( this had me almost in tears of frustration!!) they did an experiment, where parents offered up their children to see would they eat vegetables that had been dyed and had flavour enhancers added!! These kids were sat there eating orange dyed sprouts absolutely covered in flavour enhancers to change the flavours....They ate them and couldnt believe they were eating vegetables. It was suggested that this was a legitamte way to look at getting kids to eat vegetables.

This program was shown on prime time tv at 8pm in the evening. How many people/parents watched this and now feel fully vindicated in feeding their kids food laden with flavour enhancers!!! It makes my blood boil to think that they can show this program and get away with it. Its a disgrace.

I just wanted to share this. Sorry if i came across as ranting, but emotions and frustration run high sometimes when faced with such misinformed garbage being fed to people on prime time tv!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 3:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG, that is horrendous. I think I would have been jumping up and down, yelling. Well, if it aired in Ireland it's probably just a matter of time before it airs elsewhere, if not already. I'll be waiting for it here in the US.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 4:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just googled "bbc2 e621". It seems Stefan Gates authored much of the literature and has a book to sell.

Stefan Gates on Es Stefan Gates | WHSmith.co.uk May 4, 2010 ... E621, E160a carotene, E160d lycopene, E101 riboflavin, .... He presented the magazine programme for BBC2 'Full on Food' and he is now ...May 4, 2010 ... E621, E160a carotene, E160d lycopene, E101 riboflavin, ....
www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?...

BBC - Food Q&A: Are E numbers really bad for you? Aug 23, 2010 ... E621 monosodium glutamate is anecdotally blamed for an .... This one hopefully, tells us Thursday, 8 pm, BBC 2 (not wales/N Ire - analogue) ...
www.bbc.co.uk/.../are-e-numbers-really-bad-for-y.shtml -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1305016/Why-E-numbers-arent-really-Evil-all.html

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9781840915617
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 8:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perhaps his mind has been affected by all the chemicals?

.... ive got some e-numbers of my own: eeeeeeeeeeeeeek .... %>P
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ill have a look at those links Di. Thanks. I then had to suffer a phonecall from a well meaning friend that had seen the show. She was delighted to have seen it, and more or less told me that it had proved me wrong and that MSG couldnt be what had caused the problems with my youngests daughter. I tried to explain calmly the errors of the program, but from her perspective, i think she though i just didnt want to back down. SO frustrating!!!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing that got me about the program, is that if i hadnt had my own "run in" with MSG and researched and informed myself and family of its aliases and the fact its an excitotoxin, i would have believed the program. It was very believable. It was put together in plain english, easy to understand and looked to be well researched. No doubt i am in for a rough ride with friends that saw the program. Most thought i was a bit neurotic to start with (but were polite enough to not say)where the kids diets where concerned, no doubt after watching that they will think im mad!!! Its so hard to keep the kids away from this stuff when they visit other peoples houses. Ive had people feed my kids thinking i wont notice before now. Well, trust me, when i am still pacing the floors trying to stop my youngest screaming at 3am i notice!!!

Im thinking that i will be asked a lot about this over the next few days, so maybe i get the chance to point out where the program was flawed. If just one person gets it, thats something i guess. My heart goes out to any parent that watched it though, that now believes they are not harming their children by feeding them this "poison"!!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a very similar program that aired on the food network here about a year ago. They had a similar "msg test" and really insulted some of the people that insisted that they experienced msg symptoms from the meal. It was infuriating. I am in fact harboring a grudge against the poor schmuck who hosted the show - he was one of the guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. He also hosted a chef showdown type show and I even quit watching that just because of him. Well, now that I think of it I don't think I watched anything on food network again after that.

I wrote an email to complain to food network but I never even got an acknowledgement that they received it. Oh well, it is a perfect justification for parents that can't be bothered to monitor their child's diet. I don't know about Ireland, but here in the states, there is a definite trend of parents wanting to legislate a nanny state so they don't have to monitor their children's television, video games, sex education, diet, exercise, behavior, etc. It infuriates me no end that I am seen as a fanatic because we are so conscientious about every drop of food we ingest, even though we are allergic to something that it is in everything. Meanwhile, other parents are wanting to leave all of that kind of parenting to the schools or daycares and that is seen as just "normal". These stupid psuedo-scientific programs produced by whores for the food additive industry are making our lives just that much harder.

Ali, I know what you are going through. My mom just said something the other day that made me realize that she still doesn't get it and I was sure that she did by now. I just wanted to cry. Most people are going to jump on that show as "proof" that you are neurotic and overprotective and just plain wrong because your extra diligence for your kids' health makes them feel like horrible parents in comparison.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 6:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, Although it is frustrating, you've got to be thankful for having the wisdom to recognize what causes your children's traumatic symptoms and the strength to correct it. And because of their symptoms you will be raising them on a very healthy diet and to be aware of healthy eating for life. It isn't easy going against the popular choices of your friends....but I have no doubt you will stay strong.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kirsty, i know what it feels like when someone you think gets it, suddenly says something that makes you realise they just dont. Its hurtful to say the least. My mum almost gets it for a while, and then a comment shows that she doesnt or wont. And she suffers herself from many niggles and complaints im sure would improve with dietry changes.

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that people would rather think of us as neurotic and over protective than look at their own families diets. A woman i know has a very hyperactive child. He has almost been excluded from playschool, had to do a year extra at preschool that saw little improvement. This child is argumentative, hits out, destroys their furniture etc etc etc....yet no matter how hard i try to suggest that maybe diet would help, it falls on deaf ears. The child is given cheeto chips daily, dinners are ready meals, sweets are common place.Its exasperating!! And my heart goes out to the child. Im made out to be neurotic and some mad sort of hippy mother ( i admit to liking tie dye more than most..hehe) But then the same woman will comment that my kids are happy, well mannered and get on well with their peers and tells me im blessed to have good children.If only she would realise her sons not bad!! So i guess i can live with a little "negative labelling" rather than eat the standard fast food diet and have an unruly, unwell family!!Small price to pay i guess.

We have the same issues here with nanny state. Parents seem to believe what ever they are told and are happy to let child care, schools and day care take on the roll of parenting. I really dont get it!!

Thanks Di for your kind words. You are so right.I shudder to think what would become of my youngest were she born into a different family that didnt make the effort to find out what affects her. She is doing so well now, hitting all her milestones and sleeping (me too!!). Words are tumbling out of her, where they thought her speech was delayed such a short time ago. Its amazing to see her personality blossom now she isnt being "poisoned" on a daily basis. An absoloute joy that makes it all worthwhile.
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 8:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, all that matters is that you know the truth. It eventually gets out...often takes years, as we know the history behind cigarette smoking and its ultimate exposure...over 20 years from the time people began to say it caused cancer. There is a lot of money behind such pro MSG and other PR shows. You can be sure some of it came from certain groups trying to debunk the growing consumer awareness. Please write the network and send your thoughts and insights their way. Be calm and informative. And continue what you are doing for your family. My mom is still the same way, since it was my dad who was sensitive to MSG and her..not so much. She has sat listening to me talk to community and church groups with tons of pride...but still, she doesn't quite get it.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right Deb i know. Ive actually began writing a letter the other day. I need to get back to it and get it finished and in the post. Even if it gets no response, at least i will feel that i did something a little more proactive than shouting at the tv!!! hehe. My mum, even after seeing my youngest in full swing after eating msg, while seeing its obviously a problem, still doesnt quite believe its the food thats the issue. Her latest is telling me at every opportunity, that i should keep trying her with bits of msg laden food as she will no doubt grow out of it. Ive just taken to nodding and smiling and obviously discarding that bit of advice!!
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for you, Ali. My husband ended up in emergency after eating my mom's so called "made from scratch" gravy and turkey at Thanksgiving several years ago. He had a gall bladder-like attack. The doctor told us he sees a surge in ER visits after Thanksgiving dinner...usually loaded with MSG additives, of course. I began reacting within 20 minutes of eating it... we found out that she had added a package of Lipton's onion soup mix to it...sure that it wouldn't hurt.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I you want to complain, write a paper based letter. That will stand out and be noticed.
carolh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Yikes! That is the most potent recipe for an MSG reaction.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that's for sure...thought he was dying. I was sick for 5 days afterwards. Zoomer, that's great advice.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page