Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver speaks hi...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver speaks his mind about America's terrible food system « Previous Next »

guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has not only the awareness but the courage to speak about about the catastrophes taking place in America's food system: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/02/10/ted.prize.jamie.oliver/index.html?hpt=C1

Notice that one of his wishes is to improve food labeling to warn people about unhealthy food.

I do think he's a bit quixotic about how to solve the food system's deep-rooted problems because he fails to talk about specific poisons in our food (i.e. MSG & Aspartame).

Also, the system will never change as long as Food and Drugs are handled by the same administration (FDA) which leads to conflicts of interest (Harmful food/bevarages= More sickness=More demand for pharmaceutical drugs= More profit for pharmaceutical companies). All of this corruption is easily tied to politians and congress who allow it to happen right under their noses and fear for their careers when it comes to exposing the truth & stopping the corruption.

The current relationship between the profit of pharmaceutical companies and public welfare is, sadly, inverse.

Feel free to post your own perspective about the roots of corruption(s) in the food system.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 4:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well said.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 4:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love Jamie Oliver. I always recorded his latest show on Food Network (it was the only show I ever watched - the rest just mixed premade products together - only in America could Paula Deen and Rachel Ray have cooking shows), Jamie at home. If you've never watched it he had his gardener in the credits. His ingredients came out of his back garden and were made delicious in his kitchen. I also recommended his latest book to anyone wanting a cookbook. He's one of the few modern chefs that have recipes that work for people looking to cook without chemicals.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip I will look up Jamie Oliver. Hey guys I have an upcoming surgery and am looking for some help on discussing with my doctor the type of pain meds that I might be able to safely use. I believe Vicodeine is out because I have a problem with Codeine and it is a derivitive. I hate pills anyway in any circumstances, but it appears that I will need something for this one, at least for a little while. Would appreciate it if anyone has had to use pain meds and has had some success. Thanks Mariann
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a coincidence - (first posted Anon yesterday under sharing my story; me and my god diet) - I have issues with pain meds as well. Never met a narcotic I could tolerate. I take alleve. For some reason it works well enough for me on any pain. I've suggested it to others as well and they it has worked for them too. Demerol only caused me to have blurry vision while useing it, that was the least irritating side affect I had to a medication - though I don't beleive worked any better than alleve, which I took at home after leaving the hospital with a broken hip. Feorinol(spelling?) made me vomit and gave me terrible headaches, just what one wants when in pain already. Codienne causes anaphalaxis. Perocoset - opposite of normal (drowsy) reaction - I was up 3 days straight on that one. So no more narotics for me!
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn thanks again for the information. The Dr. is talking about Percoset for me. I used ibuprofen after foot surgery 3 years ago instead of the narcotics they prescribed. But I'm not sure of the increase in bleeding that it can affect. I think Alleve is the same substance, right? So I will probably just stick with the tried and true like you did. And it is nice to meet you, former Anon. I loved your God Diet. I have stated this here before, but you may not have been reading us then, you mentioned coincidence. My favorite saying is "Coincidence is God's way of remaining annonymous" Don't know who coined it, but I love it. Welcome, I love your sense of humor. Mariann
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mariann - and thanks for the kind words. And I was kind of joking about the coincidence thing because those of us with weird sensitivities tend to have them across multiple domains don't we? Alleve is naproxen - which is an anti-inflamatory, but is not ibuprofen (are they both nsaids?). Don't know if it can be taken after surgery - check with the doc - it may work for you! After my run in with percoset I took only alleve and that was for abdominal surgery. Surgery is surgery though I think, as I've had bone and muscle, and find both to be quite painful and alleve to be enough to take the edge off. So best of luck with that. Wish you a successful procedure and speedy recovery - God Bless!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 7:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, When is your surgery? I checked on the avoiding corn forum and I know that you can get compounded Vicodin without corn, so I would imagine that you can get other pain relievers compounded as well. You need to also make sure that they don't give you dextrose in an IV. Make sure the doc talks with the anesthesiologist before the day of surgery. I would make a sign that says "NO DEXTROSE" and hang it on the IV pole. Talk about your corn allergy (just call it a corn allergy since it is easier to understand and encompasses all additives they may want to try) so that all the nurses know not to mix up your meds or IVs. Take a list of the corn derivatives with you since those will be the things you must avoid in the hospital. I would double-check every time the nurses come in to change the IV - it will be obnoxious to them but it could save you some extra misery. It is unbelievable how many corn allergy sufferers have had "simple mistakes" cause them untold, unnecessary misery after surgery. Ask the doctor for prescriptions for anything he might want you to take (even over the counter like tylenol or ibuprofen) ahead of time so you can get it compounded.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 6:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy thanks for the tips. I am getting saline IV and my husband will take food in for me. If all goes well it will only be overnight and then I can get home and recoup. I spoke at great length with the Dr. on two occasions about my problems with fga. He didn't get it at first and then only marginally, but I was insistent and he did agree to do what I asked. Hubby will be there as much as they will allow to keep and eye out. He is a great talker and will win the Nurses over to look after me, I am confident of that. So for now I am keeping positive and just can't wait to get it over with. The surgery is scheduled for April 12. Thanks for the concern, not many understand this situation like the people on this board do. I appreciate it so much Mariann I do have a pharmacy that does compounds right near me.
Marnie B.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 5:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, best of luck with the upcoming surgery. I would be reluctant for you to take Percocet. While I am not as MSG sensitive as many on the discussion board, my worst reactions have been to pain meds containing Tylenol, such as Percocet, Darvocet and Vicodin. I do very well with Ibuprophen. My sister, who is also MSG sensitive, has equal reactions with these pain meds. Tylenol's ingredients laced with FGA are pure poison to us.

Please keep us updated. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 2:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marnie thank you so much for your kind words. I too, am worried about the meds in the hospital, I just want to get this over with and be home safe and sound. I told the Doctor that I wouldn't be eating any of their food and I was persnickety about the IV, because I don't need to be nauseous and sick with a migraine on top of the surger. His response was, "Oh we have drugs for that." I told him I didn't want drugs for it, I wanted to avoid putting it into my body to begin with. Pretty soon it will be behind me. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers, I do believe that they are instrumental in our lives. Mariann
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many MSG sensitive people do fine with Ringers Lactate, also, Mariann. Will be praying for your quick and hopefully, comfortable recovery.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 3:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb what is Ringers Lactate, I have never heard of it. Is it a pain med? Mariann
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactated_Ringer's_solution
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 6:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a IV drip substance used instead of glucose. I am not sure what it is comprised of. It was suggested to me by Jack Samuels and I did fine with it for my colonoscopy.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 3:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One litre of lactated Ringer's solution contains:

130 mEq of sodium ion = 130 mmol/L
109 mEq of chloride ion = 109 mmol/L
28 mEq of lactate = 28 mmol/L
4 mEq of potassium ion = 4 mmol/L
3 mEq of calcium ion = 1.5 mmol/L
Generally, the sodium, chloride, potassium and lactate come from NaCl (sodium chloride), NaC3H5O3 (sodium lactate), CaCl2 (calcium chloride), and KCl (potassium chloride).
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 5:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb and Roy, that sounds like the one he is using for me. The doctor mentioned saline with potassium and calcium by name and said no dextrose because that would be for feeding not to just keep hydrated and to use in case of needing to administer meds. OK I am feeling a lot safer with that piece of information. I can always count on you Deb for an answer and Roy, what can I say, you always have a site for us to learn more from. I so appreciate you both and so many more here. Mariann
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to help when we can! Roy has been with us for so many years, I've lost track. Thanks, Roy!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page