Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

LetA "No MSG" group on Facebook

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » LetA "No MSG" group on Facebook « Previous Next »

guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of you who have Facebook, here's a group that you all might find useful to join: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=msg&init=quick#/group.php?gid=19870167272

Someone here should get on the wagon by starting another MSG awareness Facebook group. Perhaps you should call the group "The Horrors of MSG" or something along those lines. I'm not a big fan of calling it "MSG Kills" (too extreme) or "No MSG" (too dull). Any suggestions? We can all have a vote on it if needed!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd call it "Ban MSG".
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 8:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Ban MSG" suggests government involvement. You can ban MSG from your life but people will likely take "ban" as making a law against MSG. Everyone should be at liberty to be a fool, as long as only they suffer the consequence. Getting government into anything usually is a mistake. Read Harry Browne's book about why government doesn't work, available free in pdf form.

Everyone knows the story of King Midas. Everything he touched turned into gold. Government has a power like that, except everything government touches turns into xxxx excrement.

I'm not sure "MSG Kills" is too extreme. Dr. Blaylock's first book is titled "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills".

Perhaps focusing on MSG is too narrow. There are many deliberate poisons besides MSG. Sodium fluoride is put in drinking water for the purpose of lowering your IQ and making you docile so that you are a better slave. Viruses are put into vaccines for the purpose of killing you some years or decades later. Animals refuse to eat Monsanto foods, and when they are forced to eat it, they die or get diseased or can't reproduce. Psychiatric drugs do brain damage. All these horrible things are intentional. It goes beyond greed. There are people out there who are that evil.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 7:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe government intervention can work, such as in yesterday's ruling against planting Monsanto's genetically engineered sugar beets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38700003/ns/technology_and_science-science
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 2:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2 examples of government involvement in food: FDA (Federal Death Administration) and Codex Alimentarius.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 6:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not all black and white, Jerry.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 5:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with Jerry's statement that "Getting government into anything usually is a mistake." If the food manufacturers were forced to compete in a truly free enterprise system, we wouldn't have this food additive/preservative/coloring problem. Imagine an environment in which food companies make processed dinners that consumers enjoy without the benefit of millions of (practically free because of subsidies) corn derivatives, but only fresh, dried or frozen ingredients. We are in this mess now solely because of corn and soy subsidies and the havoc they have wreaked on our economy and the way our food system has turned itself inside out to work with them. There was minimal government involvement in farmers' choices of crops before the subsidies were put into place and food was more expensive, but it was real food. Real food is still more expensive, but almost impossible to find anymore. Anyone trying to find unadulterated grassfed beef will find out just how our government involvement has twisted the meat processing industry.

Just remember this: if not for subsidies, processed foods would cost more than real whole foods because consumers would be paying for the cost of the real ingredients AND the convenience they offer. Because of subsidies, food manufacturers use almost inedible, sub-par ingredients and depend on cheap corn derivatives to fool the consumer into thinking the product tastes like the food it is pretending to be.

It was the government (with the help of former Monsanto bigwigs) that allowed patents to be given to Monsanto on seeds, allows harmful additives to be approved without proper testing, requires ethanol to be added to our gasoline (even though it costs the same amount of foreign oil to produce the ethanol as it would to just burn the oil in the first place), refused medical treatment to our armed forces veterans for illnesses caused by the military's actions (and the food they feed the soldiers). The list goes on and on.....super wealthy health insurance companies and no universal health care, required childhood vaccines without ensuring there is a safe version available, revising trade agreements so that we are more dependent on foreign products and export very little of what we manufacture (and now manufacture very little as a result). Having a war on drugs when prescription drugs are every bit as dangerous and illegal ones, devoting more and more time and money to legislate morality while spending less time and money on ensuring our personal freedoms, working tirelessly to get as much religion back into government as the founders fled from in the first place, making the middle class shoulder the burden of keeping this cockeyed economy running, and it goes on and on.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 12:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The government is not forever good or bad, but always changing and a product of who we elect into office. At the right time positive changes can take place. One can't tar all leaders with the same brush.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 6:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

roy... of course, youre right... and it helps keep a balanced perspective to periodically be reminded of this-
i think what Jerry and Kristy -and meself- are legitimately concerned about tho, is the growing evidence pointing toward a political puppetdom that is run and manipulated for and by profit motivated economic self-interest.
it has happened before, unfortunately... therefore it is good to remain vigilent...

and ya know... when individual emotions run hot over varying outlooks, well, i suppose its only becoz we all care so much that we start getting hot under the collar at all :] i applaud you all for doing your parts to respectfully keep such a difficult part of the discussion going!
cheers!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 7:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i really mean that too u gize!
:-)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I think Bo'nana is pretty accurate with her description of how I feel about it. I am worried that because the average citizen doesn't understand all the intricacies of their representative's actions, things can get out of hand easily. Usually the entities that wish to have control understand the process and "how to play the game" much better than the voters. This leads inevitably to horrible laws that go against the best interests of the citizens.

It explains why I don't join Homeschool legal defense associations.....They are constantly lobbying for "better" homeschool laws when I think it is better to keep homeschooling off the government radar at all. Right now, there are no real regulations for Mississippi, but if the government gets involved it will be a big mess and parents will have lost their autonomy. I really like being able to control my children's homeschool experience instead of jumping through hoops satisfying government regulations. To continue to have that choice, it is necessary to keep the govt out of it. Several states already have lost that privilege and I just keep my fingers crossed that MS isn't next.
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 2:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about "MSG:Get the facts" or MSG: The real reason we're sick...or MSG and your health.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 3:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like 'MSG and your health'.
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 5:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see my post so I will try again: I created an MSG page on facebook.com\msginfo
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 6:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to facebook/msginfo, it took me to: MSG - Not your Mami's Umami. Is that your page, it's been up there for quite a while.
carolh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just put up a facebook page called Msg Truth. MSGTruth was already taken - go figure! Msg Truth is linked to the MSGTruth website. I will put a link back to you guys.

Apparently, I am now above the radar. Some blogger on Salon is trying to discredit me by implying that I am not a real food scientist. Gee, if getting a degree in food science and working as a food scientist doesn't make me a real food scientist, then what does??? Either he is unaware that food scientist is an actual profession, or he has been paid to blog by the MSG makers.

I also am posting breaking news updates now on Twitter @carolhoernlein

What is great is that it is really easy to share breaking news stories.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while, was setting this all up. Sooooo, visit Msg Truth on facebook and follow me on Twitter as well as posting here. We will be able to reach even more folks!
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I don't see the article about the glutamate blocker that is helping people with autism and has been used to help Alzheimer's patients. Can't recall the name of the drug...something like mematine??metamine?? It's so great to see your facebook page and twitter..we have to link them to this site. We have missed you!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's memantine
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Di. Yes, that sounds more like it.
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, I just read your twitter headlines again and found the article I asked about a couple posts up. Thanks so much for setting this up for everyone. What a difference the Internet is making.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 6:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the internet is wonderful. Don't you just love it when you go to the doctor (rarely) and tell him something (you may have learned here) and he asks where you got that information, and you tell him you read it on the internet and he tells you to stop reading things on the internet.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 11:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor seems to view the internet as the devil!! hehe. Acording to him, nothing on the internet is to be believed!! We know different hey??
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 11:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's for sure. I was gaining weight for 2 years pretty rapidly. I had dry skin, ridges on my nails and my eyebrows were getting thin. My doctor had me on 60mg of Armour thyroid med for the 18 months. Then when by blood was tested, he raised it to 75 for 2 months after which he had me tested again. I had decided to try a compound pharmacy for the new dosage and the pharmacist called me to ask why he now wanted the amount lowered from 75mg a bit. According to her, since she also had my lab results, I should be getting at least 82 mg by her research. SHE called the doctor and informed him he was using the old blood measurements for T3 and T 4. They changed 4 years ago. When I brought him the new chart off the internet, I could tell he wasn't thrilled. It felt good. Here I was feeling lousy for years because of his incompetence in this area. On a sour note, I am back on the new Armour since it is cheaper, and the new formulation is awful. Went online and found thousands of complaints in the last couple months. Too much cellulose is interfering with absorption according to one theory. Suggestion is to chew it or crush it first. May go back to compounding.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is compounding? Ive never heard of it. I remember reading the word in reference to meds on this site before and wondering what it was.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 9:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another interesting thing is how many "old" friends I have that don't use the internet. They always say they don't see a need to use the internet, that it's scary, and what do I do on it?

Well, I can't stay from it - it's now like one of my best friends.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Compounding (also pharmaceutical compounding and compounding pharmacy) is the mixing of drugs by a pharmacist, physician, or veterinarian to fit the unique needs of a patient. This may be done for medically necessary reasons, such as to change the form of the medication from a solid pill to a liquid, to avoid a non-essential ingredient that the patient is allergic to, or to obtain the exact dose needed. It may also be done for voluntary reasons, such as adding favorite flavors to a medication."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compounding
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 1:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks roy. Im wondering if thats available here. I need to do a bit of research.im interested because when my youngest needed medication she had to suffer more than the illness due to the flavourings in her medicine. Thanks again.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 4:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Compounding Pharmacist Locator:

http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lookup_survey
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 8:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, you're terrific...thanks for your sleuthing once again!
carolh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I have been away this week - terrible hard drive crash at the worst possible time. Up and running now.

I actually moved to a town with a compounding pharmacist at the end of my street :-)

Fortunately, I finally got myself off all my meds. Every last one. I don't need them anymore. And now, am finally losing all the pituitary tumor weight. It's about time!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow carol, that is really great- HOORAY for being rx free!!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 4:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear you are doing so well, Carol!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 6:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Di, facebook\msginfo is the URL for my page. I posted here when I first put it up, and once or twice since, but was having trouble with posts going to the right thread. I put it up as a vehicle to mainly point folks to all of the great sites and info already out there, as there is no point in reinventing the wheel.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 7:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, so good to hear you're off all meds. I am too, but I do have compounded ibuprofen on hand for emergencies. Ali, I took a list of corn additive names to my compounding pharmacy and the pharmacist worked with me to figure out a way to make our ibuprofen without corny additives. It can be difficult to figure it out and the pharmacist and doctor will not understand corn derivatives, but the key is to find a pharmacist and doctor that will just listen to you. (My dentist wrote the Rx for me since I just needed ibuprofen) The doctor has to write the Rx specifically for compounding (even over-the-counter meds need a Rx). My pharmacist was great and I am happy to know he's available if we ever need meds again.
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, that's great news. I wish I could get off thyroid meds...may try gradually and see what happens. Some people who are avoiding MSG say that their thyroid kicked in on its own, since MSG was suppressing it. How can one know if their thyroid is capable of doing that unless they start weaning themselves off medication. Is that what you did with your meds?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page