Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Kikkoman umami commercial?!

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Kikkoman umami commercial?! « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone seen this outrage? Apparently if you call free glutamic acid "umami" it is a selling point instead of a poison. I have got to stop watching Food Network since it angers me when my hands are busy and I can't zap thru commercials. Some of the ridiculous commercials for "healthy foods" are stupefying. I cringe when some of these chefs (like Alton Brown) use three or four different sources of FGA in one recipe. How can these chefs not know any more about food chemistry than they do? There was also a Food Detectives episode about MSG that was infuriating. They "proved" that MSG didn't cause any symptoms because half the room was given their chinese food without added pure MSG so the people from that side of the room couldn't possibly have symptoms. Most people would conclude from the slant that the people that claimed symptoms were delusional since they are uninformed about other sources of FGA.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 8:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I pretty much quit watching TV since I got a real internet connection a few months ago.

Every time I ask someone if they've heard of "umami" they give me a blank stare. This includes waiters and waitresses. I hope it becomes more mainstream, from a knowledge perspective. Then I can simply tell the waitress I'm deathly allergic to umami and everyone will know what that is.

I *like* FGA....has a ring to it. Think maybe the food industry could be persuaded to list "FGA" on their products?

Jennifer
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 4:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son told me about that episode. He said to his wife "If my mom sees this she is going to want to send hate mail for sure". I would not do that of course, but it angers me to have our truth so attacked. my first question was "who are the sponsors for that show." Keep vigilant, we are making head way. Mariann
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, the glutes are thrilled. A reaction to MSG can take hours, days, even. Such a bogus test and sponsored by scheming food companies, I bet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page