Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

New study shows brain cells start to ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » New study shows brain cells start to die after ingesting MSG « Previous Next »

Judith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This study, NOT funded by MSG manufacturers, shows great potential for disclosing the effects of MSG. The supervising research scientist, says the study is "groundbreaking". Most notable is the amount used was equivalent to eating a meal with MSG in it, unlike previous studies. Cherylin mentioned this earlier in the week but there's been little comment. Even more important, the student did her research under the supervision of a research scientist with Hotchkiss Brain Institute (HBI) at the University of Calgary's Faculty of Medicine. This is a new, well-funded neurological research facility, the largest in Canada. The scientist involved believes that this will provoke more research, just about the best news of all. And the first step was taken by a 17 year old, inquisitive girl! It's a great story.
Here is the link. It may not be up much longer, so please check it out. Written story to the left, video to the right.
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080814/CGY_MSG_brain_080814/20080814/?hub=CalgaryHome

And another:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=c17b05c2-aafe-4a85-80e4-f9902cf5165f

This is a shorter story from the University of Calgary.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/aug2008/msgonbrain
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful! Now let's see if the U.S. media picks this up...the ones funded by the food industry. I would like to find the address of the University of Calgary in Canada and send the researcher a book, care of the school. I could send her Dr. Blaylock's older book, too...I have an extra copy. This is exciting! I'm sure the glutes are stewing.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,
Here is where she is from:

Michelle Ah-Seng is a 17-year-old high school student from Cochrane, Alta., about 40 kilometres northwest of Calgary. She's also the lead researcher on a University of Calgary study that offers the first solid proof that high concentrations of MSG, an additive used to boost flavour in everything from fast food to canned soups, can stunt the growth of brain cells.

So if anyone knows how to locate her address from this: Michelle Ah-Seng is a 17-year-old high school student from Cochrane, Alta.,

please send it on to Deb A. Thanks.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help, Lisa Marie!!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A.,

Michelle attends:
Cochrane High School
529-4 Avenue North
Cochrane, AB T4C 1Y6, Canada

Her research was done in the lab of:

Naweed Syed, PhD, Professor Departments of Cell Biology & Anatomy,

University of Calgary
Faculty of Medicine
Health Sciences Centre
3330 Hospital Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1

Syed has invited Ah-Seng to return to his lab next summer and continue her research.
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dianne!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful! Thanks to LisaMarie and Dianne! I will ship books to both places.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Email this to everyone you know. Let's get it circulating:
"Subject: NY Times and other coverage of studies linking MSG to obesity and brain injury.

Dear friends and family,
These are important links. Please find the time to read them. Then share them with friends and family. The glutamate connection to obesity, ADD, Autism, Depression, Asthma, Alzheimers, migraine, Acid Reflux, Dementia, joint pain, and so much more is being studied right now, and MSG is being exposed for the toxic food additive that it is. AND it's hidden under 75 aliases that the average consumer is not aware of. Go to www.msgmyth.com, www.msgtruth.org, and www.truthinlabeling.org for the facts.
The following are recent postings from our discussion board found at www.msgmyth.com.
Deb

Judith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:17 pm:

This study, NOT funded by MSG manufacturers, shows great potential for disclosing the effects of MSG. The supervising research scientist, says the study is "groundbreaking". Most notable is the amount used was equivalent to eating a meal with MSG in it, unlike previous studies. Cherylin mentioned this earlier in the week but there's been little comment. Even more important, the student did her research under the supervision of a research scientist with Hotchkiss Brain Institute (HBI) at the University of Calgary's Faculty of Medicine. This is a new, well-funded neurological research facility, the largest in Canada. The scientist involved believes that this will provoke more research, just about the best news of all. And the first step was taken by a 17 year old, inquisitive girl! It's a great story.
Here is the link. It may not be up much longer, so please check it out. Written story to the left, video to the right.
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080814/CGY_MSG_brain_080814/20080814/?hub=CalgaryHome

And another:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=c17b05c2-aafe-4a85-80e4-f9902cf5165f

This is a shorter story from the University of Calgary.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/aug2008/msgonbrain

AND:

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:49 am:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/health/nutrition/26nutr.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

Took em how many years????

We finally have vindication. MSG causes obesity. Not simply processed food. Not fat. Not sugar. Not Video games. Not poor parenting. Not lack of self control. Not cheeseburgers. MSG MSG MSG MSG MSG.
We were right all along and the only thing our detractors had to go on was a lack of evidence - studies done in HUMANS. We had studies done on animals, we had anecdotal evidence. We had our own success stories. We had the science. We had the research to prove it. We just had no "double blind" studies like they had, which they fraudulently conducted.
Now, they are terrified, and they are hitting back hard. Go out there guys and make sure you call them on it wherever they will try their damage control. They have already started. The Umami brigade is out in full force protecting their millions. DON'T let them get away with hiding the truth anymore. Blog everywhere you can, everywhere this story turns up. Comment, post, participate in discussions. This is our chance to really set the record straight."
Please email this important message to everyone that you know.
Deb Anglesey
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am bumping up my post from yesterday so you guys can go to the forum at the Wash. Post and get involved. Thanks.

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:50 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEED YOUR HELP TO COMMENT

Please go to the above Washington post link by MSGKILLS and post comments! Let's bombard them. Many of you can write much better than I can, so please, take time and go do it.
Here is what I submitted-of course, it has to be approved, so let's see IF they approve it:
The best explanation of how MSG causes obesity is contained within this article, written by Jack
Samuels:
http://ww.westonaprice.org/msg/msgobesity.html

And here are a couple paragraphs from the above article:
" A New Phenomenon
The fact is that the obesity epidemic is a relatively new phenomenon. Prior to the 1950s, there were overweight people, but it was relatively rare to find an individual who was grotesquely obese. I graduated from college in the 1950s, and do not recall one person in high school or college who approached 300 pounds, not even members of the football team. I can also relate that as recently as 2003, when I visited Spain, a country that does not heavily rely on processed foods, or that has just recently begun to use processed foods, I never saw a grotesquely obese person.
What has changed through the years?
Simply stated, our food supply has changed along with the changes in our lives brought about by the demands of our fast-paced society. We are depending more and more on processed foods, and with each year, the FDA approves more and more chemicals for use in foods. With each year, the food industry is using more and more chemicals in their products. These chemicals increase shelf life, kill bacteria, improve taste, replace fats, replace carbohydrates, even replace meat in some vegetarian preparations, and more. Most important to food producers, chemical use can increase profits. Most important to the consumer is the fact that some of the chemicals are neurotoxic and/or carcinogenic.
For purposes of this paper, we will report on the neurotoxins MSG (glutamic acid that has been freed from protein through a manufacturing process - what many MSG-sensitive people refer to as processed free glutamic acid) and aspartic acid (about 40% of the sugar substitute aspartame)."

MSG is poison and toxic to everyone, not just diabetics, or people with allergies or sensitivities. It has 80 other names (thank you FDA for your non-rigid rules) and is hidden in almost everything at any grocery store, including health food stores. Virtually the only things free of it are fresh produce, and some free range eggs, poultry and beef.
To find out the other names, please check this site:
www.http/msgmyth.com

There is a petition in front of the FDA currently, which would remove the "Generally Regarded as Safe" label which is associated with MSG. (that is how the FDA allows this toxin to be put into our foods) Here is a link to that site:
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocketDetail&d=FDA-2007-P-0178

Please, do not sit by and allow the food manufacturers to continue to add this substance to our food supply. This has strong ramifications for us all, especially babies, whose blood brain barrier does not protect them at all. (and yes, there is MSG in baby food)
MSG is also contained in vaccines.

The person who said that MSG is not a problem for us all is obviously uninformed. Sir, Chinese food is simply not the only food with MSG. Look it up-find out the 80 other names. Just because you tell a Chinese restautant to avoid adding MSG to your order, does not mean it is not hiding in some ingredient used to prepare your food. The government allows "Natural Flavors" and "Spices" to contain MSG-it is just not named.
MSG in its bound form, as found in some vegetables like tomatoes (bound to proteins within the food), is a problem for some people, but the extent to which it damages is variable. However, when Monosodium Glutamate is isolated to the MONOsodium form, it enhances other flavors, and makes you believe you are eating something more tastey than you really are. So, it is not a preservative, like many people think. It is a flavor enhancer, working on the neurons in your brain, to trick your taste buds into thinking you are eating quality food.

Additionally, MSG is used in Asia to kill dogs-paragraph from source below, by Larry Cook:

"In many Philippine provinces, as in the rest of Asia, it is not uncommon for people to eat dogs, after poisoning them with one or two tablespoons of monosodium glutamate (MSG), placed inside a roll of bread. The dog salivates, loses consciousness and involuntarily spasms until breathing stops."

http://www.greenermagazine.com/articlesMSG.html

Just go to google and type in bad effects from Monosodium Glutamate. Don't fall for the studies that the food companies have 'manufactured' to make us believe MSG will not hurt us. Please, open your eyes and help get this substance out of the American food supply.
Cherylin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Judith, for running with the story I had posted about and bringing it to everyone's attention. I have been traveling and super busy and have not been on the Forum for weeks.

I admit I was kind of surprised that my post had only received one response (thank you Dianne) as I felt the story was an important one so I am really thrilled to see all that has ensued since the story broke. What a great idea to send Deb's book to the student and the researcher.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to hear from you again, Cherylin. I think a lot of people just didn't read your post. I was gone a lot this summer, too, and it takes me awhile, sometimes to catch up. I'm so glad I read your post of the story and that others kept adding more. Isn't it great how we can get so much started on this board..and how we can learn so much from each other?! This is my support site, too. I gain so much knowledge from all of you. Thank you!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page