Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Artificial Food Dyes-Please act to ban

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Artificial Food Dyes-Please act to ban « Previous Next »

Lisa Swinford
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can read details in post--but please take a moment and call directly to the Kraft Consumer Resource Center. They answered my call right away and took down my complaint--they SAID they take consumer complaints seriously and into account when formulating food. (doubtful, but we have to try)
Number to call:
1-800-323-0768
It was easy.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200806022.html

Yesterday we petitioned the FDA to ban the artificial food dyes Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, and Orange B because those chemicals cause hyperactivity and other behavioral problems in some children. You can see a CBS Evening News segment on this important topic here: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=4151225n.

At a press conference in Washington, I said that the continued use of these food dyes is the secret shame of the food industry and the regulators who oversee them. Scientists have debated the safety of these food dyes for three decades, but considering the findings of three important recent studies, that debate is now over. Artificial food dyes cause harm to children, provide no benefit, and often mask the absence of healthful fruits and vegetables. They have no place in our food supply.

Please join our effort to get food dyes out of foods by telling Kraft to phase out the synthetic ingredients from its American products. Kraft is already getting rid of some of the controversial dyes in Great Britain, where regulators are pressuring the entire food industry to switch to safer natural colorings. But in the United States, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Jell-O, Lunchables, and countless other products still use Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, and these other petrochemical-based food dyes.

Please take a moment to call Kraft at 847-646-2000 and urge them to switch to safer, natural colorings.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Michael F. Jacobson
Executive Director

P.S. Our petition to the Food and Drug Administration, as well as links to several key studies on food dyes and behavior, are at http://www.cspinet.org/new/200806022.html.

P.P.S. Also, you might enjoy a brief video with some history about the Center for Science in the Public Interest and the other issues we’re working on, here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEk0Be_to8I
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa Swinford,

Years ago red 3, which I have since read is a neurotoxin, gave me a seizure and I had to be admitted to the hospital. A shot of benadryl quickly brought me out of it, but another time I went unconscious from it and had to be brought to by a coworker performing CPR on me. My understanding is that it was banned shortly thereafter, but that products already using it were grandfathered in. Yellow 5 is known to cause trouble with a lot more people. Some food dyes were banned after they were found to cause cancer. That shouldn't be the only criteria. That these dyes continue to be allowed, especially with regard to children, is unconscionable.

Thanks for posting the 800#. I called Kraft and asked them to remove these dyes from their foods. I also asked them to do the same regarding MSG and its aliases, some of which I named, then gave them my phone number.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa, Thank you so much. I will call them, and like Roy, will also request they discontinue the use of MSG and its aliases from all their foods.
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are welcome. I passed this on to some other people and asked them to call. I wonder if John knows about this? Like you, Roy, I told them about the MSG and its aliases. What happened to you is very scary. I agree, it is unconscionable that all of these companies are just letting this happen, and turning a blind eye. When, when, when will we wake up and force them into action, and whatsmore, HOW do we ever get any power to do it? It is just sick.
Courtney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be passing this on to a coworker and client as well! I read the article on CNN this morning - such bullsh*t, saying that it does no harm. Red 40 makes children into tyrants!!! The aforementioned individual's kids were two steps from medication when they looked at their food instead.

The fact that there is only one organization which regulates both food and drugs has to be the biggest conflict of interest the US government has ever perpetuated.
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to post a letter I received back from ADHD@cspinet.org against food dyes.
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for letting us know of your experience with calling Kraft - my sincere apologies for replying back to you so late! We wanted to use the main Kraft number to make sure someone at headquarters there got the message. They were so flooded with calls that they channelled people to the consumer 800 phone number. We are happy to hear that you, and many others, are supporting our efforts on this issue.

Sincerely,

Moira Donahue
Executive Research Associate
Center for Science in the Public Interest
1875 Connecticut Ave. NW #300
Washington, DC 20009

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page