Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bad news about Almonds

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Bad news about Almonds « Previous Next »

Vicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought it was important to let all of you know AND also very frustrating...
As of Sept. 1, 2007, all almonds that are entering the "trade market" are under a mandatory law to be irradiated. I called an organic almond seller in CA. to find out for sure what's going on. He said that if the almonds are going into "direct sales" like for farmer's markets, etc., then they do not have to be irradiated, but the general market they do. Which means places like Sam's, companies making Almond butter, etc., will now be selling and using irradiated almonds, and they do NOT have to be labeled as such.
So, another product that is damaging to our health. :-(
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does irradiating do to almonds to make them damaging? I wonder if all nuts are to be irradiated.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Food irradiation is supposed to kill E. coli bacteria. On the other hand:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Irrad/liverurps.cfm
Vicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have time right now to find all the links, but if you go to Mercola.com and do a search, he has quite a few there.

Irradiation is putting radioactive materials into our food. It changes the molecular stuctures of the food, which then changes things in our bodies when we eat them. We should eat things the way God made them and the WAY He made them.
Sheri N
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the update on almonds, Vicki. I signed the petition to slow down the process and allow more public comment a while ago and was wondering what happened. How disappointing.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coming from the FDA, who I'm sure we all trust:

During irradiation, foods are exposed briefly to a radiant energy source such as gamma rays or electron beams within a shielded facility. Irradiation does not make foods radioactive, just as an airport luggage scanner does not make luggage radioactive. Food is left virtually unchanged.
Vicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I certainly don't trust much of anything the FDA says. Here are a couple of things from the Weston Price Foundation site...

"Irradiation is the process by which food is exposed to high doses of radiation-the equivalent of up to 1 billion chest x-rays. Irradiation
kills bacteria and extends the shelf life of food, but destroys vitamins and creates new chemical compounds. Problems include, but are not limited to, premature death, fatal internal bleeding,prenatal death,
suppressed immune systems, tumors, stunted growth and nutritional deficiencies."

There is an interesting info on irradiation here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/wheatyindiscretions.html
Just scroll down to the title "Irradiation"

That's all I have time for at the moment, it's "walking outside" time.:-) I get so busy reading all the great info I find and I forget what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vicki,

I was being sarcastic about trusting the FDA - hope everyone knew that. I will read the link later this afternoon. Thanks.
Vicki
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know. So was I.:-)
J. Paxton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried and had to eliminate peanuts, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. I am thinking that all nuts are high in free glutamate and will probably avoid all of them.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you are just starting out and "detoxing" your body of glutamate, you may find that you are more reactive at this point. Over time, as your body heals and your immune response and other systems becomes more normal, you may find that you can tolerate more foods that contain naturally occurring glutamate. I remember that my reactions became almost exaggerated the first few months, if I suddenly got MSG by mistake...it was like my immune system was screaming at me, "don't feed me that junk again!". But it became easier and easier to know what to eat, and after 3 years, I can better tolerate foods like eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, nuts, and even some mildly aged cheeses like imported Swiss, gouda, and domestic whole milk mozzarella, jack, and colby jack....but I go easy. I wash all nuts before I eat them now. I place in a bowl of water with a safe detergent...some of the "green" ones are best, and swish well...Dawn will work, too. Then I rinse and drain very well. I pour onto clean towels on the counter and let dry completely. Then I store in glass canning jars...I refrigerate or freeze. You can toast them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes for a crunchier nut. But until you feel you can safely try nuts again, it's best to do as you are doing right now. Some nuts are being sprayed with sulfur dioxide as a preservative. Many of us who are MSG reactive, also react to sulfites...that's why I devoted a chapter to them in our book...and that's why I wash nuts....but AuxiGro will not wash off.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page