Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ANOTHER Glutamate Blocker

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » ANOTHER Glutamate Blocker « Previous Next »

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/070910/antidepressant-as-good-as-antipsychotics-for-dementia.htm

This one does double duty - it helps both Depression AND Dementia.

Gee, I wonder why. Could it be that as a glutamate blocker it is counteracting the MSG and aspartame being fed to these poor folks in nursing homes????
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the article mention that it was a glutamate blocker, Carol? Couldn't find that...you must have done a search or I missed it. Carol, I just found your last email...Mike casually mentioned to me that you sent one awhile back and asked if I saw it yet...it's been QUITE awhile! Sorry...I'll try to answer it tonight! :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, citalopram is said to be both a glutamate and aspartate blocker:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11334237&dopt=Citation
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two weeks after my mother was put in an assisted living facility she had her first stroke. I now believe that along with the stress of moving, MSG had a role in her demise. She continued to have mini-strokes and then finally a large one, from which she didn't recover. I wish I had known then what I know now. So sad.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dianne. A former neighbor of mine had to put her mother in a facility because of problems due to dementia. She had good general health, though. But within a few weeks, she was complaining about terrible stomach pain and headaches. She had a stroke and died within a couple months. My friend eventually learned about MSG and has been avoiding it for her own stomach problems and is sure MSG did her mother in. It is beyond belief that the glutamate industry sends out pamphlets to nursing homes (and schools) encouraging them to use more MSG in patients' meals to get them to eat more of the "tastier" foods when their appetite is low. Are they trying to get rid of the elderly sooner? Either way, I'm sure it's "helping". It's a national shame.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother also was in excellent physical health, but had dementia. Unfortunately, greed doesn't care about others. Even some chef's don't know and don't care about the effects. I think I mentioned earlier about the chef I talked to in Florida last winter. His comment about MSG was that it is a shame I am sensetive because it's such a great flavor enhancer. UGH.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page