Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Obesity - They finally find the gene ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Obesity - They finally find the gene affected by glutamate « Previous Next »

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They just don't know it yet. The latest news is that the gene called ADP - short for Adipose was discovered in the 50's. They just discovered that in mice, when the gene is activated or inactivated the mice gain weight or don't - it has nothing to do with personal responsibility by the mice.

Here's my prediction: Glutamate affects this gene by increasing activation of AMPK - which creates starvation mode by telling the cells that they are under stress. Activated AMPK makes the hypothalamus immune to Leptin for a while - or permanently in the case of mice damaged by MSG.

And so - MY take is that if you want this gene to do its job, and you are overweight, reduce the stressors - which includes bad bosses AND MSG. I'm going to increase my intake of CoQ10, which helps me withstand cellular stresses, AND I have started to take alpha-lipoic acid as a supplement because it ramps DOWN AMPK. It tells the cells - hey - don't be such a nervous nelly -we got plenty of gas left in the old tank....

And so - stay tuned. Having the gene doesn't mean you'll be fat or thin - how that gene is or is not turned on matters here. So, it isn't your fault - unless you just have to eat Doritos every day. It's not HOW MUCH you eat exactly - it's WHAT you eat that affects this particular gene. Glutamate. MSG WILL affect the expression of this gene. Do a simple search for ADP, Adipose gene, and AMPK and Leptin. I guarantee, you'll be eons ahead of the "experts" on this story.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. I know of at least 2 people - our own Roy and another person suffering from MS, who regularly take alpha-lipoic acid because it appears to help them. So - there is a link there to MSG sensitive persons.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What brand of alpha-lipoic acid are you taking, Carol? It makes such sense.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page