Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Food Labels not required to disclose ...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Food Labels not required to disclose ingredients « Previous Next »

Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6436576
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a little from the article...thanks for the link: "Where does your food come from?
Food labels don't tell the whole inside story
By Brandon Bailey
Mercury News
Article Launched: 07/22/2007 01:44:16 AM
Click photo to enlarge
«123»That loaf of Sara Lee bread on the grocery shelf in San Jose was made with flour from U.S. wheat. But the Illinois-based food giant uses honey and vitamin supplements from China.
While Paul Newman's daughter uses California figs in cookies made by her Aptos organic food company, she turns to Mexico and Austria for other ingredients.

And even though a Procter & Gamble spokeswoman described Crest toothpaste "as a truly American product," it uses additives from China and Finland.

Recent reports of tainted imports from China have focused new attention on a little-known trend: In today's global economy, more food items are being produced in this country with some ingredients from other lands. But the FDA inspects less than 1 percent of all food imports - and that means consumers must trust food makers to guarantee the safety of their products."
We're ahead of the game eating the way we have been forced to...something positive about being MSG sensitive and having to eat whole foods.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to work for a diverse wholesale/manufacturing company that bought products from China/Hong Kong, assemble them here(if needed) then package the product here and call it made in USA. I eventually quit working there because of gross unethical practices.

I imagine many, many companies do this.....and who's to know?
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's called External Manufacturing. The brand name company just lends their name to a product made by a smaller company. Very very common. As a former process engineer, I often was sent to these other factories to troubleshoot their problems. The conditions are appalling sometimes. These places are usually run like sweatshops by a small business owner - who is usually a self-important big fish in a little pond with a picture of his yacht on the wall to make the employees envy him and his oversized ego. No joke.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

money, money, money, it's all about money isn't it? And I guess it always will be.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page