Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Melamine scare

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Melamine scare « Previous Next »

Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very concerned about pork, chicken and other foods we haven't yet heard about containing melamine, the additive suspected in the deaths of pets.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/04/25/ap3653762.html
http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2007/04/melamine_found_.html

If anyone has heard about this and has any further information, please let us all know. I thought I had enough to worry about with MSG...
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6 grain products to be inspected: wheat gluten, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein, rice bran & rice protein. 3 by-products of melamine (a non-protein nitrogen source with a variety of uses such as fertilizer): cyanuric acid, amilorine and amiloride. Hog futures (binding contracts to buy or sell commodities in future transactions)fell in Chicago yesterday, based on worries that consumers will avoid pork. What about cattle feed? farmed fish? fertilizer for vegies?
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks MCMorrisNJ, I keep trying to get information on it and am not getting very far. I guess the FDA is keeping a lid on it or no one thinks it's a very big deal. It not on the news and when I try to do any kind of an internet search, it turns up almost nothing. Our local newspaper has only had one tiny paragraph on it. Please keep us updated if/when you have anything else.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FDA report regarding swine fed adulterated product:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01618.html
From FDA press conference 4/24/07: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/transcripts/transcript042407.pdf
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No more than 345 hogs from farms in California, New York and South Carolina are involved, according to the Agriculture Department. It appears the large majority of the hogs that may have been exposed are still on the farms where they are being raised, spokeswoman Nicol Andrews said.

Salvaged pet food from companies known or suspected of using a tainted ingredient was shipped to hog farms in seven states for use as feed.

The government will compensate farmers if they kill those hogs, said Kenneth Peterson of department's Food Safety and Inspection Service. The department knew of no countries moving to suspend imports of U.S. pork products.

Also, a poultry feed mill in an eighth state, Missouri, also received possibly contaminated pet food scraps left over from production. The fate of the feed made from that waste was under investigation.

The pet food sent to the farms later was discovered to have an ingredient, rice protein concentrate, imported from China that was tainted by an industrial chemical, melamine. Testing also revealed other related and similarly banned compounds, including cyanuric acid. Food and Drug Administration inspectors were preparing to visit China as part of the agency's investigation.
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/tainted-hogs-enter-human-food-supply/20070426215909990002
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TUESDAY, May 1 (HealthDay News) -- The potential threat to human health from contaminated pet food has now widened to include chickens, with U.S. health officials announcing that melamine-tainted pet product made its way into poultry feed at 38 Indiana farms.
Much of the adulterated feed was eaten in early February by broiler chickens that have since been sold and consumed nationally, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in a joint statement issued late Monday.

The melamine-contaminated feed was used at 30 broiler poultry farms and eight breeder poultry farms across Indiana; all of the broiler chickens have since been sold to outlets nationwide. The breeder chicken have been quarantined and may be euthanized, the FDA and USDA said. The agencies also warned that "as the investigation continues, additional farms will likely be identified that received contaminated feed."

The announcement comes on the heels of similar discoveries at hog farms across the United States. The USDA first announced on Thursday that meat from 345 hogs suspected of eating the contaminated feed had entered the U.S. food supply. Some 6,000 hogs suspected of eating the contaminated product have since been quarantined and meat from these animals will be withheld from the food supply, both agencies said.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From today's NY Times: ".... But in China, ground-up scraps from plastic-making have been added to grain and byproducts, like the sticky glutens used to thicken soups or help bread rise. It is presumably done to fool buyers into thinking they are getting a more nutritiious product, because crude tests for protein in grain do not test for protein molecules, but for nitrogen, which proteins also have in abundance."

Absolutely horrible --- terrible greed --- and I don't trust the FDA -- heard on public radio that they only check 1 out of every 100 products imported to the USA.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our population is surely being poisoned...and most of us are unaware or don't believe it. I copied the section out of our book that discusses the Canadian/autism study and gave it to my doctor when I was there for my physical last week. He said he is so shocked at the number of kids with autism and ADD that he has seen in the last year that he is sure it has to be our food...something in our environment.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Every day on one of the major news channels I hear how either arthritis, autism, obesity, asthma, Alzheimer's, or ADD numbers have exploded in the last decade. People are so addicted to MSG, even my friends discard my advice. They all talk about how good this or that tastes - addiction is a strong thing. And we are a society of immediacy and self-gratification.

I wonder how long we have to worry about the melamine, at least the MSG I've figured out how to avoid.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 4:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quoted from: http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Can-the-Pet-Food-Calamity-Also-Harm-You--12516.aspx
"Frankly, if contaminated rice, soy, and corn products have not ended up in the processed foods sold in your corner grocery store, it's because of a lucky coincidence, not the result of infrequent government inspections. Of course, it's easy for unscrupulous manufacturers to add extra chemicals to processed foods, as well. When the ingredients are refined, dehydrated, synthetic, or stripped down to powder, who's going to notice a few chemicals more or less ... at least, until they start causing problems.
It's easy to slip in unhealthy chemicals because these "foods" already are unhealthy chemicals. It's much more difficult to adulterate natural, organic, whole foods, however; why and how would anyone add melamine to a carrot, for instance?"
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Government officials say they have been wrong about calling the melamine-contaminated product imported by two Chinese firms "wheat gluten" and "rice protein concentrate." These products were incorrectly labeled and were, in fact, wheat flour. The FDA is investigating the possibility that these products were intentionally mislabeled by the Chinese companies.
Officials have detected melamine and melamine-related compounds in fish meal from Canada. Fish at a number of American aquaculture facilities have consumed the contaminated fish meal. The melamine that contaminated the fish meal was part of the same batch of wheat flour imported from China by the Las Vegas-based company ChemNutra. "Based on the risk assessment, we do not believe that there is any human health risk associated with consuming these fish," says David Acheson, the FDA's assistant commissioner for food protection.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/08/china.petfood/
Tian Feng is the manager of Binzhou Futian Biology Technology, which U.S. pet food distributors have identified as the company that sold them wheat flour -- mislabeled as wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate -- containing melamine and related products.

In addition to being used in pet food, the tainted flour also made its way into feed for some 20 million poultry, thousands of hogs, and an unknown number of farmed fish, the Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday.

The FDA has said the threat to humans is remote.

U.S. food authorities suspect melamine and cyuranic acid -- a chemical used in swimming pools -- were mixed into the flour because the nitrogen-rich compounds would make it appear that the flour contained more protein than it really did.

Researchers say that when melamine is combined with cyuranic acid, crystals can form in the kidneys, leading to organ failure.

Original reports cited tainted rice protein concentrate and wheat gluten as the suspected compounds. But authorities said Tuesday that tests have shown simple wheat flour was the culprit.

Dr. David Acheson, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's assistant commissioner for food protection, said Tuesday that officials suspect the Chinese company substituted wheat flour for wheat gluten and rice-protein concentrate, then attempted to make them appear to be the protein-rich substances by adulterating them.

Melamine and related compounds each contain high levels of nitrogen. Some tests for protein, which is also rich in nitrogen, test only for the nitrogen.

The Chinese government banned the use of melamine as a food additive only last month.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a bag of frozen vegies from Trader Joe's. I just noticed some small type on the bag --- it said the vegies were from China! I can't wait for the vegetables stands here in NJ to be open so I can buy locally.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I probably would have never thought to look at the fine print on frozen vegetables. I going to look right now at the print on the bag of organic oranges I bought from Trader Joes and see if there's anything I should have read. I guess you can never take anything for granted.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

China just executed their ex-FDA chief.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19686498/
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw that story too. Pretty scary how quickly they did that. Here in the US, Dubya would probably give the guy the Medal of Freedom. Donald Rumsfeld is still walking around after creating thousands of sick folks the world over from pushing for aspartame's approval over scientists' objections. In the US they all get away with stuff like that.

But man, that is harsh. I don't beleive in the death penalty. Life in prison maybe, but execution? Yikes.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, that's what I thought - really harsh (I don't believe in the death penalty either).

Were they trying to appear to make a point like "we got rid of the person responsible for all the impurities and contaminations, we're on top of the situation - you can now trust us"?
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd hate to think what additional "stuff" is in monosodium glutamate. Jack Samuels addresses this in his truthinlabeling.org site
Quote: Furthermore, we pointed out that this processed free glutamic acid (MSG) ALWAYS includes contaminants (like L-tryptophan). In the case of glutamic acid, the contaminants include D-glutamic acid, pyroglutamic acid, carcinogenic propanols (in cases of acid hydrolysis), and, carcinogenic heterocyclic amines (in some, if not all, reaction flavors)."
Source: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/forB.html-2.htm
Quote: "In contrast, the glutamic acid that is freed from protein through a manufacturing process or through fermentation (processed free glutamic acid) which is used in processed food is always composed of L-glutamic acid and contaminants that inevitably appear during fermentation or other modes of glutamic acid manufacture or processing.. In addition to the D-glutamic acid, contaminants may include, but are not limited to, pyroglutamic acid, mono and dichloro propanols, heterocyclic amines, and peptides. Mono and dichloro propanols and heterocyclic amines are carcinogenic. The consequences of the interactions of these various chemicals are unknown." Source: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/manufac.html
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About China's execution of their FDA guy:

The whole entire FDA should be executed. I mean the FDA should be done away with. It should not exist. Get rid of it and replace it with nothing. It is worse than useless.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FDA no longer protects us...whether a product or drug is safe or not is up to us to figure out. It's are a huge bureaucrat more intested in keeping its people employed ($$$) than safeguarding our health. It should be entirely reorganized and its purpose redefined by the public.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More on how the FDA works:

http://www.amanobscured.co.uk/page/aspartame.html
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you guys read Kevin Trudeau's book Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About? How close do you feel this is to the truth? What can we do? I'm just starting the book. Maybe Kevin provides some info on what we can do as informed educated citizens.
guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin Trudeau has his heart in the right place and certainly has a lot of courage, but he's a terrible writer. With so many exclamation points and capitalized words used, it gives the impression that he's angry and yelling at you. He has every right to be angry, though, but it's juvenile to show it so explicitly through writing. It's very stupid and unprofessional of him and it'll turn off most of the simple-minded members of the public (in other words, the average American) who should be reading his book in the first place. If you're able to look past and forgive his anger and yelling, then it's fine, but those who are simple-minded won't be able to do so.
guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, Trudeau doesn't delve into the cover-up of hidden MSG that I wrote about in this published article: http://www.naturalnews.com/025066.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page