Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Autism - They finally find "The Smoki...

Battling the MSG Myth » Sharing Media Reports and Letters Related to the Issue » Autism - They finally find "The Smoking Gun" « Previous Next »

Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks, this is HUGE. According to the following link, they found the genes for autism. And guess what? They code for proteins involved with gluamate's use by the body as a neurotransmitter. What does this mean? It means we were right all along. The doctors and scientists who said the casein-free diet was a hoax or that glutamic acid-containing vaccines didn't have anything to do with autism were WRONG. These poor kids who can't really explain how they are feeling to us, are us. They are the original canaries in the coal mine of MSG sensitivity. 20% of autistic children have epilepsy. Many have food allergies. They can't sit still. They are overly sensitive to light and sound - and pain. They throw tantrums. They have trouble with language. They get digestive distress. What do they have in common with us? Everything. When folks would call us crazy for linking all these disparate sounding symptoms into MSG complex, the doctors were going crazy on their own trying to solve the riddle of autism. How can all these kids have the same symptoms that don't seem linked? Glutamate - that's how.

How many also suffer from headaches but can't tell us that? I want to just cry thinking about all these poor kids and how they must be suffering so.

Well, I think this is the watershed moment. I can't tell you how HUGE this is. I've tried but I think this is the key that unlocks all our questions.

What if we - the folks who are MSG sensitive have something in common too - something amiss in the neurexin 1 area of our chromosomes too?

This would be vindication after DECADES of being told MSG sensitivity was imaginary.

People like that chef who wrote the NYTimes article will have to eat crow - with Accent on it.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleid=D7C80F75-E7F2-99DF-3F71D9FC07888C4F&chanId=sa017
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am elated, Carol. I can't explain how liberating this feels right now. I just hope that some big wigs in the glutamate and drug industry don't try to sweep this under the carpet or make the researchers look foolish like they have before. We have to stay on this...get involved somehow. Thank you for posting this important information. :-) !!!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Carol. The numbers of children affected are very high and growing. If this doesn't spur municipalities to ban forms of free glutamate from school lunches, I don't know what will.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5601a2.htm
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol - Thanks. Besides helping those with autism, I hope this will also spur more studies re links between glutamate and other neurological diseases and postnatal disorders like schizophrenia which I am just learning about. I read that schizophrenics may have abnormally low levels of glutamate receptors.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the startling similarities between autism and MSG sensitivity. Since Autism disorders are located in a particular area of the genome and there area few genes involved here, we are talking about individuals having one OR MORE genes gone awry. That is why some things affect certain individuals but not all individuals.

It also closes the book on Jack's whole silly natural MSG versus manufactured MSG argument. Glutamic acid communication in the nervous system is just plain messed up in part of the population. NOBODY is a perfect specimen. And it doesn't matter how natural the free glutamic acid is. Autistic kids and those with genetic anomalies for glutamate neurotransmission WILL have trouble with glutamate no matter WHERE it comes from.

Boy was that cathartic. (Sorry to burst your bubble, Jack)

AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS(corresponding MSG SYMPTOMS)

Timothy Syndrome-cardiac arrhythmia(A-Fib)

Rhett Syndrome which affects girls
breathing difficulty (Asthma)
speech (difficulty speaking-"brain fog")
movement("Restless Legs")
Tremors(dopamine decrease)

Asperger's which affect boys
ADHD(ADHD symptoms)
ODD(Anger/Rage)
Depression(Depression)
Bipolar
Anxiety(Panic)
OCD

Heller's syndrome
Loss of communication skills("Brain Fog")

epilepsy(seizures)

Sensitivity to light(flashes of light)

Sensitivity to sound(ringing in ears)

Sensitivity to pain(Fibromyalgia, Migraine)

Fatty Acid digestion problems(diarrhea)

Multiple Food allergy(hives,anaphylaxis, mastocytosis)

Constant motion(restless legs)

Type I diabetes(Type 1 diabetes-GAD immunity)

Thyroid disorder(Hypothyroid)

Inability to metabolize
sulphur compounds(Sulfite sensitivity,Taurine deficiency?)

Celiac symptoms(Casein, Gluten intolerance)

Tantrums(Rage/Panic Attacks)

The things missing from my list are obesity, Type II diabetes and high blood pressure. THOSE may be CAUSED by MSG. In the studies it was HEALTHY mice that are made to be obese by causing leptin resistance, etc. And my small renal artery made me especially sensitive to MSG because it constricts blood vessels in everyone.

What really I did not expect to find was the difficulty in processing sulphur compounds. That may make autistic kids AND us predisposed to taurine deficiency. We may have trouble making it ALL THE TIME, not just as children. That is why taking it helps us. That was also the one thing I just couldn't square before. How did sulphur fit in? In autistic children it is a simple genetic error of metabolism.

I think we can tease out the rest of the truth from what we now know.

Have an awesome day!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This study is so exciting, the more I read it! It sure validates what we have been saying for many years.
As for sulfur in the mix, here's something that Jack e mailed to me yesterday:
"I have noted that a number of MSG-sensitive people react to sulfites. I believe that I may be one of them. It is of interest that glutamic acid is considered to be a sulphur based amino acid. I, and other highly MSG-sensitive individuals, react to phosphates as if phosphates are MSG. It is of interest to note that phosphates use up magnesium and calcium in the body, two minerals involved in the metabolism of glutamic acid."
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, Jack is incorrect. Glutamic acid is NOT sulfur containing. It competes for uptake with cystiene which is sulfur-containing. Cysteine is used to make Taurine which is sulfur-containing. Persons with errors of metabolism for the amino acids containing sulfur, who are sulfite-sensitive may be the ones who are helped by taking taurine as they probably have trouble making it. MSG would make that even harder since glutamate interferes further with the body using cysteine.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is some more very interesting news:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=F9E196DB-E7F2-99DF-385C9F38537F58D6
Apparently, it looks like Down Syndrome is the genetic opposite of autism. According to this article, a drug which was stopped years ago because it caused seizures actually prevented the problems of down syndrome in mice. It has to do with GABA receptors. Instead of everything being heightened and excited by glutamate, everything is inhibited and slowed down by GABA. The seizures were probably due to too much glutamate activation. Enough is needed to create new memories in the brain, but too much causes seizures. They may need to bring that drug back but sincerely keep an eye on the children's diet to make sure that free glutamic acid is strictly controlled until the age of at least 6 when the brain is hardwired. It explains why autistic kids are savants while Down syndrome children are held back. Interesting times indeed......

By the way, Roy, MEMorris, Pat and I did an interview yesterday which will air in about 1 month. I will let you know more as we find out. It went well even though I was very nervous. We also figured out more information about MSG by getting together. Deb, we missed you - you too Judy T. but it was great getting together after a few years again. I hope to see you both again soon.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so glad that it's over for you all...or maybe this is just the beginning! I know how nervous interviews make me...but you did it!!! You are doing so much to help a LOT of people. Thank you all for your courage and commitment to this cause. Looks like you have a great group back East to draw upon. Look how far we've all come, guys. Things are gaining momentum and people are really making the MSG connection everywhere. We are not alone...so many of you are spreading the word in various ways. Please keep up the fight to inform more people who are in dire need of the information we have. When Dr. Blaylock and Jack did the 700 Club interviews, they decided not to publicize it until the taping was done for fear the "glutes" might try to halt it. It's probably a good thing that you are telling us about the taping now. Will it be shown here in the states, too? If not, will we be able to put a link to it somewhere? Tell us more???!!! :-)
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, we'll let you know when and where. As far as Jack speaking about phosphates. There is another simpler explanation for a phosphate reaction. Phosphates draw water out of the body from the large intestines, resulting in more water in the end product = diarrhea. That is why phosphates are used in the first place, not to give folks diarrhea but to chemically remove a microorganism's ability to use water to live on. In so doing, it kills microbes like listeria in foods.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone please advise regarding what brand taurine is good, the daily amount to take, and if it's best taken in combination with another supplement.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Beyond a Century taurine in powder form and dissolve in water.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto. But since I am sulfite sensitive, I think I may start taking it more regularly, Carol, from what you suggest. Thanks...worth a try.
Tom Fernstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol H & Deb A,

I too take the Beyond a Century powdered Taurine:

NAME Pill Size Dosage Frequency

Taurine 1/4 tsp. Powder 2 Daily
Beyond a Century 750mg per 1/4 tsp.

Mag. Orotate 1/4 tsp. Powder 2 Daily
Beyond a Century 73mg per 1/4 tsp.

I've been on this regimen for 6+ years starting it due to input on this discussion board and to supplement my liver's ability to produce them naturally. I find that if I reduce or eliminate the Taurine and Magnesium Orotate, I don't feel as well.

Should also mention that the website is:

www.beyond-a-century.com
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all.

Carol and Deb, what dose do you take? Daily or only if you feel you need it? Should it be taken in combination with any other supplement?

Can you take too much or overdose?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take the taurine powder 3 times a week: 1/4 t. I take magnesium orotate powder 4 times a week in the evening: 1/4 t. and 1/3 t. of Tri-Salts (by Ecological Formulas)about 4 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less frequently. I use the same brands of the other powders that Tom uses.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb A, What do tri-salts do? Is magnesium orotate a lot different than magnesium oxide tablets? Do you mix the powders in water and drink?

Thanks.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They contain the carbonate salts of calcium, magnesium, and potassium....these are very necessary for our body since MSG depletes them. When I read my post, I realized that I am not as regimented as that. I can remember that there are weeks when I don't take anything. Most of the time, if I feel off(have gotten hold of too much glutamate for some reason), I may start becoming a bit more regimented about taking these powders for awhile...yes, which I do stir into water and drink. I think I have become more in tuned to what my body needs. When I take the time to eat more fruits and vegetables, beans, whole grains, etc. I feel so much better. I am not big on most supplements because I think they get over used. Some people who call will complain to me that they felt great for awhile and now they feel awful. When we do some sleuthing about their diet, 9 times out of 10, I learn that they are trying some vitamins, herbs or other supplements. When they eliminate the supplement, they get better. We are all different, bio-chemically, so it's difficult to say what will work for everyone. If a persons' main reaction is a racing heart, they may find more benefit from CoQ10 than someone who reacts differently to MSG. If a person reacts to sulfites, they may respond by taking taurine. If I respond with diarrhea I will take Tri-salts and a pro-biotic to replace the minerals and healthy bacteria lost. Eat well and avoid MSG! :-) That's my main mantra.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Guys! I'm still alive. I just had a really busy couple a months there. Forgive me if someone posted on the HUGE trial going on today regarding autism. They are finally taking this to court. Parents who have autistic children are having the vaccine autism link brought to trial. http://www.themoneytimes.com/articles/20070611/autism_case_hearing_in_federal_court_on_monday-id-104600.html
It's a big story on Google News today - The picture of the little boy just tugs at my heart.

I sent a lot of info to the lawyer on the case, I hope he gets it in time to use it.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just posted a flowchart detailing all the connections between MSG symptoms and autism on http://www.msgtruth.org Onthe Homepage just click on the flowchart link. Please critique it for me and let me know of any errors or new info I can add. I sent it to Dr. Blaylock and he thought it was very comprehensive.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, the work this must have taken!! It's so well done. I want to put a link to it from our site. Did Dr. Blaylock have any input or ideas to add? Has Jack seen it yet?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We must keep this autism issue alive. That's why I reposted the above two quotes. And it makes me upset to know that my own doctor was completely unaware of the Canadian study...as probably most U.S. doctors are. I saw on TV that for each congressman, there are at least 10 lobbyists, and they gave some of the " bribe" amounts given to some of our legislators...some were like $285,000
a year for one person!...to vote in some drug company or food company's favor concerning some bill. Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was chatting with my son between patients, and we were discussing the fact that many of the new cutting edge medications for Alzheimer's and other neurological disorders are glutamate blockers. I wondered why it is that the researchers don't come out and tell the public that we are getting too much glutamate from our food. They MUST be aware that all this excessive build up of beta-amyloid plaque and tangles are not just the result of endogenous glutamate...they have to know that it can come from outside the body through food. My son simply said that they most likely do know, but what would that profit the drug companies??, and what kind of public and economic panic would such a revelation cause??...so he thinks that a lot of the research done here is kept under raps or is controlled by the powers that be. Who really knows....it is all a guess. But if that is true, what we are doing by posting what we know on web sites is one of the best and only ways we have to get this problem exposed.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am pumped today! I got a call from the owner of a popular local business which makes gift baskets and cookie bouquets. One of her co-workers is a patient of my son's, is MSG sensitive and is feeling great now that we have helped her. She has been discussing MSG at work, and the owner has been listening to her employee and has been feeling better herself while experimenting with MSG removal. Now she says she wants to change some of her cookie recipes and other baked goods in her store so that they do not contain glutamate...from malted barley flour, buttermilk, etc. She is buying a couple books from us soon. Then later today, a patient came in with a migraine. I hadn't met her before, but apparently my son had talked to her about MSG in previous appointments. I asked about her headaches and we had a short discussion, after which she bought a book on the spot. Then she mentioned that she works at a "meals to go" establishment, where people can order several meals for the freezer, a growing business everywhere. She says that she gets her meals half price there, but I'm afraid she is paying a big price in headaches. She brought up the possibility of making this information available to the owners, who are very health conscious. She says they often get requests that no seasoning salts be added. Now she knows why. I hope the book will be of benefit to her and many more in our community and that she can have a good influence on what is prepared in their commercial kitchen. It's been a good day!!!
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,

Dr. Blaylock said it appeared very comprehensive. He did add that the vaccines just by sheer inflammation and the fact that they do so many at one time can cause problems in and of itself. When I consider that MSG also increases inflammation, putting free glutamic acid in the form of gelatin in ANY vaccine is asking for trouble. But at the same time it gives me hope. I can see a time in the future when all this comes out - that we will spread out any vaccines for children over time so they can handle it like we did as children - and also I could envision them including anti-inflammatory - anti-histamine type drugs at the same time. That may really help in addition to removing glutamate and mercury from the vaccines. When I had surgery last year - they gave me intravenous benadryl at the same time as the surgery. Inflammation is a bad thing for an autistic child made worse by glutamate. Anything we can do to reduce inflammation during vaccination may help - especially for children with the genetic predisposition for autism.
Jack has not seen it, but I gave a copy to the Korean documentary film crew and MeMorris and Jolts, and Roy have seen it and gave me some valuable comments and changes. Gilberts syndrome fits in there as well - so we also have a reason why Roy is so affected by MSG. This autism genetic study has answered so many questions - it was literally the missing piece of the puzzle we all fit together over all these years. Now you are looking at the road map that was surveyed piece by piece by all the folks here on this discussion board. Pretty amazing, huh? That's why I call it the Unified Theory. It is to me what the physicists are always looking for - the way to unite gravity with the other forces in the universe. Well, we just figured out how all this fits together. When you think about it - it took us 7-1/2 years to create it -that's when this discussion board started :-)

The chart still needs a little work to pretty it up, but it is a huge help to understanding this stuff.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are terrific, Carol. I know how busy you are with city council and you still found time to do the chart. It really is a triumph, and hopefully, as you say, it will reach more people and give a unified picture of what we have been trying to say for years. Way to go, councilwoman!!!! :-)
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-) Thanks Deb! It wouldn't have even happened if it wasn't for you starting this board and keeping it going all these years. By the way, ABCnews is covering the autism trial story and they have a blog going on it http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/comments?type=story&id=3267897
You can add comments. If you know of any folks with autistic children who were helped by an MSG-free, aspartame-free diet, now would be the time to comment at ABC news. Google News lists this as a hot story right now and ABC News is a prominent link.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also today on Good Morning America, Ulcerative Colitis was discussed. I used to suffer from this disorder over 14 years ago when I didn't know about MSG. One doctor told me that I was a candidate for hemorrhoid surgery ( I was in my early 40's)because of the damage done due to this chronic and terrible disorder. PLEASE make some comments if any of you can relate, to the ABC comment board. You can go to www.abcnews.com and click on Good Morning America.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In an odd twist of fate, my NJ State Senator Loretta Weinberg who I helped get elected and who was at my swearing in, has become a sponsor of a new autism bill in the NJ state senate on Thursday. The bill would create an autism registry and pay for treatment and research into the causes. NJ has the highest autism rate in the US. If we can get somewhere on this in NJ it may be a model for folks to try in other states. My legislators here are really committed to helping solve this epidemic. And they really listen to the people. I am hopeful we will see progress on this very soon.
Becky
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, you are my hero! I love the flowchart on your website. Thanks so much!
John Brodar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, your flowchart is outstanding!

It identified so many of the crossroads and pitfalls of my own life as well as many of the corrective actions, solutions and aids in overcoming the effects of MSG poisoning.

I also re-read your homepage ...what a statement! I hope I can be that brave the next time I am facing public adversity.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! That means a lot to me. :-) If you all have any things I should add or any corrections, I think this will continue to be a work in progress. It's really like a big puzzle and any new pieces are greatly appreciated!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We will be linking it (FLOW CHART) to our site very soon.
Carol, have you given a copy of the Canadian study and your flow chart to Senator Weinberg? I think that would be very important and hopefully, someone will actually make the connection. I posted your web site address on the ABC Good Morning America discussion board concerning colitis. My password/name is "Gramma Spice", in case anyone wants to visit the comment board. For the most part, all everyone is discussing there is drugs....very little on causes.
John Brodar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, can you add a legend explaining your color coding? It appears as though blue and green are aids or corrective actions, one possibly drug related one nutrition and the reds and purple obviously threats or sources.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

Sure. I was wondering if I should split up the chart as well to use in different areas of the site.

The Blue Boxes are officially recognized medications prescribed by doctors that just so happen to be glutamate- blocking.

The Green boxes are unofficial home remedies that folks use to self-medicate

The Tan boxes are used for self medication as well but are habit-forming, dangerous remedies.

I found it fascinating to see how both the medical establishment and ordinary folks BOTH use glutamate blockers. How can the pharmaceutical companies know enough to come up with glutamate blockers and NEVER EVER mention that avoiding glutamate in the diet would make sense?
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another fascinating thing I found is the relationship between alcohol and nicotine. It is always easier for a person to quit both at once. One tends to make someone want the other. Everyone seems to be self-medicating. Even with Red Bull. All it is is caffeine water with taurine in it, and yet folks can't get enough - there is a full gram of taurine in just one Red Bull. Alcohol sensitizes the NMDA receptors and is a depressant while nicotine is a glutamate blocker, and taurine has the opposite effect of glutamate. What I found fascinating is the history of Absinthe which I tossed in there. Absinthe blocks GABA, meaning it heightens glutamate - which would make people want to turn to alcohol to relax. In fact - people often lumped alcohol and absinthe into the same category, when in actuality, absinthe increased the desire for alcohol. They are at cross purposes. Stop me if I'm boring you all, but this is just fascinating. The history of addiction is a tragedy of self-medication gone out of control. At the root of it all is the yin yang of glutamate and GABA. Not to mention the fact that alcohol also damages Vitamin B6 status - making glutamate more of a problem. Just fascinating on so many levels....
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My poor dad had this sensitivity until he died, which none of us knew about at the time. He popped aspirin and Excedrin like they were candy for his headaches, guzzled Pepto Bismol, and drank alcohol...a lot. I remember asking him to stop drinking so much, and he just said, "if you had any idea of the pain I have, you wouldn't ask that." He went from so very robust to ill so quickly with esophogeal cancer (cured) and a mini-stroke before he died at 71. That's young in his family. He never smoked, but ate Chinese food all the time, his favorite. My mom was not a cook, and we mostly ate McDonald's cheap hamburgers and fries, and lots of pizza from Italian joints back in Buffalo, N.Y...sure miss those!..and subs. Mom's main standards that she did prepare were spaghetti(Prego sauce), tuna fish casserole (cream of mushroom soup), and meat and potatoes...and her great salads, topped of course with commercial dressings. But it makes sense that we can become very addicted as you said. I am sure my dad was self medicating, and over the years he became a different person...paranoid, angry, surly, and we all missed the man he used to be...and that was years before he got really sick. I know that all of these toxins and drugs in our food and drink are responsible for tearing up people and their families and their lives.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to share this. Saw an ad in a magazine for Pur water filters. They were pushing a new product called Pur Flavor Options: filters that flavor the water...fruit flavor. The ingredients are far from "pure". They are: water, Propylene Glycol (15%), citric acid, Flavor (various fruit flavors), sodium citrate, malic acid, acesulfame K, sucralose, benzoic acid (preservative), and sorbic acid (preservative).
Ughhhh! :-( And the ad is all about children lining up to get a drink from a lemonade type stand in the kitchen. And we wonder why our children are sick, sad, hyper, and fat.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is horrible. I get so disgusted when I see ads on TV, especially the ones directed toward children, that contain horrible ingredients. I hope I live long enough to see this country recognize what's slowly killing us all.
Carol H
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a good explanation of what happens in the nervous system of an autistic person:
http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept353744/files/389615.html
Basically, the autistic person has more nerve endings - and is more sensitive - literally. Their neurons are more than TWICE as sensitive as someone without autism. They are the canaries in our neurotoxic coal mine. It explains everything we have long suspected here. The light sensitivity, the heat and cold sensitivity, the pain sensitivity, the loud noises. Everything is sensory overkill. They are just trying to escape the too muchness of everything. As MSG sensitive folks I'm sure so many of us can understand exactly what they are going through. We are able to fortunately express it, though. We should try as much as we can to speak for them because we can. We have been told for so long it is all in our heads, and having no one understand or believe the pain we have felt for so many years. I could just cry for these kids. Thank God there are parents who know their children, who know something is wrong. Who NOTICED. We should definitely try to reach out to these parents and these kids and adults. Go to autism support groups and explain this stuff. The Mainstream Media is NOT going to cover this right. If you see the words autism "mystery" - set them straight. As of February, there is no longer a MYSTERY. The symptoms are no longer UNRELATED. The science is there. It is neuroscience. It is CHEMISTRY. It is what we are feeding them, it is what we are injecting into them. WE have to look at EVERYTHING in their environment that is a NEUROTRANSMITTER. That includes FOOD. That includes GLUTAMATE in VACCINES. That includes casien, and gluten and even neurotoxic MERCURY in their TUNA. We know what to say now. Lets get out there and say it. We should try to get ourselves tested to see what we have in common with these kids. I would not be surprised if we share some gene mutations in common.
MEMorrisNJ
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/business/03drug.html?_r=1&th=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&emc=th&adxnnlx=1188824430-PDbhhCIcejMwHkRNTJjYYQ#
More on drugs using glutamate receptors --- From today's New York Times: New Schizophrenia Drug Shows Promise in Trials
Quote: "......But the new Lilly drug does not directly affect dopamine. Instead, it modulates brain activity through a different set of receptors. As a result, it has the potential to be the first truly novel treatment for schizophrenia since Thorazine was introduced 1954, Dr. Lieberman and other researchers said.
Lilly’s new drug — which does not have a name yet and is referred to as LY2140023 — emerged from almost two decades of research by Dr. Darryle D. Schoepp, a toxicologist and pharmacologist who joined Lilly in 1988. For decades, psychiatrists have known that users of PCP, a street drug sometimes called angel dust, have symptoms nearly identical to those of people with schizophrenia. By the 1980s, scientists had discovered that PCP blocked brain receptors that are triggered by an amino acid called glutamate. This led some companies and scientists to study ways to stimulate glutamate receptors as a treatment for schizophrenia. But the brain has many different kinds of glutamate receptors, and figuring out how to stimulate or block them in medically beneficial ways has proved complicated. Instead of focusing on the receptors blocked by PCP, Dr. Schoepp concentrated on modulating the action of glutamate receptors in the brain’s prefrontal cortex, an area responsible for personality and learning. “This is a system that is so fundamental to the function of your brain that it is quite powerful,” said Dr. Schoepp.
But because drugs that blocked dopamine had been the only successful schizophrenia treatments, many researchers viewed the glutamate pathway as unlikely to produce useful medicines, said Dr. P. Jeffrey Conn, director of the Vanderbilt University drug discovery program and an expert on glutamate research. Dr. Schoepp deserved praise for persuading Lilly to invest in a field that appeared to be a long shot, Dr. Conn said, adding, “He locked in very early.” As a result, Lilly appears to have a multiyear lead over its competitors in glutamate drugs, Dr. Conn said. Dr. Schoepp left Lilly in March to become the head of neuroscience research for Merck. Dr. Schoepp and Dr. Steven Paul, the president of Lilly Research Laboratories, both said that his departure would not hurt the development of Lilly’s new medicine.Dr. Joseph T. Coyle, a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Harvard Medical School, said the Lilly trial validated the theory that modulating glutamate receptors might control the symptoms of schizophrenia......"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page